Punctures. How to mark the hole?

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Mike Sales

Re: Punctures. How to mark the hole?

Post by Mike Sales »

DevonDamo wrote:Given that most of us have been quickly, easily and effectively repairing inner tubes decades before we even knew the environment was having a spot of bother, MickF has got to be a strong contender for this year's prize.

I find that my meanness and my greenness fit together well.
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Mike Sales wrote: ... Not quite a lick, more just a touch which helps you to see where to mark. Cleaning and abrading easily dries the spot.

With time on my hand in lockdown, I think we are back to the thread title.
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

Mike Sales wrote:
DevonDamo wrote:Given that most of us have been quickly, easily and effectively repairing inner tubes decades before we even knew the environment was having a spot of bother, MickF has got to be a strong contender for this year's prize.

I'm like Mick - puncture - new tube which eventually leaves me with a pile of tubes. Mine don't go to landfill, rather i do my charitable bit and pass them on to people with more patience than i have!

Just to be clear - i'm well capable of repairing tubes, i will do so if i have to but i choose not to unless essential to get home.

How do a mark the hole? none of this cross business, i simply use a biro and circle the hole. That said, if i'm at the side of the road i don't bother with that, find the hole, abrade, glue, patch - if i lose sight of the damage a quick pump will soon locate it again or simply stretch the tube slightly around the abraded area and i'll see said hole. But ideally, for me its a fresh tube - after checking for / removing the cause of the deflation.
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
drossall

Post by drossall »

kylecycler wrote:Ach, so what I've been doing wrong all this time is deflating the tyre before I apply the glue...

Personally, I never apply glue without the tyre having deflated all by itself :wink:

However, the issue I find with applying glue to a partly-inflated tube is that the tube is then stretched and the patch isn't, so they don't lie well together when I deflate the tube to put it away for when it's needed. Arguably, the patch is less stretched in use, which may be a good thing, but I've never found that it mattered.
Syd

Post by Syd »

kylecycler wrote: Are you serious?!?!?!?! I thought we were all lefties on this forum - you some kind of capitalist or sumpin'?

You thought wrong [emoji57][emoji23]

I’m another in the fit a new tube camp; more important things to do with my time than repair punctures.

Old tubes are collected and passed to a local craft group who do incredible things with them.
Last edited by Syd on 2 Apr 2021, 2:02pm, edited 2 times in total.
kylecycler

Post by kylecycler »

drossall wrote:
kylecycler wrote:Ach, so what I've been doing wrong all this time is deflating the tyre before I apply the glue...

Personally, I never apply glue without the tyre having deflated all by itself :wink:

However, the issue I find with applying glue to a partly-inflated tube is that the tube is then stretched and the patch isn't, so they don't lie well together when I deflate the tube to put it away for when it's needed. Arguably, the patch is less stretched in use, which may be a good thing, but I've never found that it mattered.

What I meant was, I think I should blow the tube up (even though it leaks, of course) before I apply the glue so that it's easier to see (and hear) where the hole is, but certainly let the tube fully deflate before applying the patch, right enough.

Also, I meant tube in the quote, not tyre (and I'm somebody who gets annoyed when someone calls a wheel a tyre - happens often in motorsport).
MikeDee

Post by MikeDee »

How about sticking a toothpick in the hole? I'd still mark the hole with a circle and a big X.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Syd wrote:
kylecycler wrote: Are you serious?!?!?!?! I thought we were all lefties on this forum - you some kind of capitalist or sumpin'?

You thought wrong [emoji57][emoji23]

I’m another in the fit a new tube camp; more important things to do with my time than repair punctures.

Old tubes are collected and passed to a local craft group who do incredible things with them.
Spot on on all counts!
There are many uses for old inner tubes.

It's not as though we get many punctures is it?
Last one I had was in February this year but was a tiny hole and easily repaired.
Previous puncture was back in October 2018.
Both these were on Moulton, but the last one I had on Mercian was way back in September 2015.

I keep records of stuff for the bikes.
Mick F. Cornwall
Pebble

Post by Pebble »

Whatever way you try and argue it, repairing a tube for a small puncture and reusing is always environmentally more friendly than to replace with a new one. If there is some second life for the tube after its main function, then it will still get there eventually.

We really need to stop being so wasteful with the planets resources.
the dark lord

Post by the dark lord »

I either just find it once and pinch it or I have an old split pin in one of my kits and shove that in the hole.

I tend to have a bunch of innertubes on the go at once and tend to repair them in batches swapping as necessary.

Once done with I use them around the garden as plant and particular tree ties. They allow some movement and stretch but don't cut into the plants and will break if the tree gets too big.

They do break down in the sun over a few years and turn to crumb.
PDQ Mobile

Post by PDQ Mobile »

I always use round feather edge patches on small holes. With clear thin backing.
And always take the repair kit out before I start in earnest!!

You have found the hole, inevitably, otherwise you couldn't mark it.
(So why mark it?)

Repair kit and solution near to hand roughen the area while the shape is maintained by using the pump which you will also need soon!
Then apply the solution in a neat circle with the hole at the very centre- as near the size of the patch as possible. While the shape is still JUST maintained.
Then the patch is put on pretty much exactly in the right place by simply covering the solution which remains visible even when full tacky.

I often leave the clear backing on too.
Though I take the foil off the sticky side. :shock:

Wax (or other markers) can be counter productive to good adhesion IMV.
Good repairs last for years and years.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

PDQ Mobile wrote:Then apply the solution in a neat circle with the hole at the very centre- as near the size of the patch as possible. While the shape is still JUST maintained.
Then the patch is put on pretty much exactly in the right place by simply covering the solution which remains visible...

I did a wheelbarrow tube precisely that way yesterday.

PDQ Mobile wrote:Wax (or other markers) can be counter productive to good adhesion IMV.

That's why several of us only mark outside the area of the patch.

Jonathan

PS: At home I sometimes use two clothes pegs to flatten the surface. When I do they're positioned to locate the hole without any other marking.
Ride-sleep-repeat

Post by Ride-sleep-repeat »

Syd wrote:

You thought wrong

+1!
I haven't repaired one for yonks.
I have a very nice 'upcycled' phone/keys/cash holder made from old inner-tubes by a nice lady up in the North East(of Englandshire).She makes phonecases,wallets,purses etc 8)
It fits snuggly in my Jersey pocket and only needs a quick wipe down when it gets sweaty or wet.Win/win :mrgreen:
sjs

Post by sjs »

Mike Sales wrote:

Well yes, but I wait until I get home before doing a repair. At a wet noisy roadside, just swap the tube for one without a hole. Of course you still have to find the thing that caused the puncture.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Ride-sleep-repeat wrote:have a very nice 'upcycled' phone/keys/cash holder made from old inner-tubes by a nice lady up in the North East(of Englandshire).She makes phonecases,wallets,purses etc

I give stuff from cycleofgood as presents:
https://www.cycleofgood.com/product-category/gifts/

New a couple of days ago:

Jonathan