Stuck seat post

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
fausto99

Re: Stuck seat post

Post by fausto99 »

ClappedOut wrote: 6 Apr 2021, 11:39pm
rogerzilla wrote: 5 Apr 2021, 4:21pm Any chance of the last bit in English? It sounds good but something has gone wrong with the formatting, I think!
A suitable impact socket cross drilled cobalt drill bit with M8 12.9 tensile strength bolts and nylock nuts.
The two bolts through socket and tube spread load. The hammers of impact gun more chance of breaking corrosion without tube collapse.
As Roy Walker used to say "it's good but it's not right" :lol: :lol: :lol: - at least I'm not getting it. More verbs required please.
richardfm

Post by richardfm »

fausto99 wrote: 7 Apr 2021, 12:56pm
rogerzilla wrote: 5 Apr 2021, 4:21pm Any chance of the last bit in English? It sounds good but something has gone wrong with the formatting, I think!
A suitable impact socket cross drilled cobalt drill bit with M8 12.9 tensile strength bolts and nylock nuts.
The two bolts through socket and tube spread load. The hammers of impact gun more chance of breaking corrosion without tube collapse.
As Roy Walker used to say "it's good but it's not right" :lol: :lol: :lol: - at least I'm not getting it. More verbs required please.
My interpretation is;
Drill two holes (clearance for an m8 bolt) through an impact socket at 90 degrees to it's axis. Drill two corresponding holes through the seat tube. Put the socket over the seat tube so that the holes align. Insert M8 12.9 bolts through the holes and secure with nyloc nuts. Use and impact wrench to try to turn the socket, which will try to turn the seat post, which will free it without causing the tube to collapse.
Richard M
Cardiff
fastpedaller

Post by fastpedaller »

richardfm wrote: 7 Apr 2021, 1:01pm
Drill two holes (clearance for an m8 bolt) through an impact socket at 90 degrees to it's axis. Drill two corresponding holes through the seat tube. Put the socket over the seat tube so that the holes align. Insert M8 12.9 bolts through the holes and secure with nyloc nuts. Use and impact wrench to try to turn the socket, which will try to turn the seat post, which will free it without causing the tube to collapse.
Maybe the last part should read This may free it, but could possibly damage the tube?
gently does it .... until all else fails.
alexnharvey

Post by alexnharvey »

My interpretation is;
It won't be very effective if you drill through the seat tube and will certainly damage the frame! I think seatpost was meant. Looks very effective in the videos.
richardfm

Post by richardfm »

alexnharvey wrote: 7 Apr 2021, 1:18pm
My interpretation is;
It won't be very effective if you drill through the seat tube and will certainly damage the frame! I think seatpost was meant. Looks very effective in the videos.
Good point, seat post was what I was picturing in mind as typed, but it came out wrong!
Richard M
Cardiff
rogerzilla

Post by rogerzilla »

ISTR someone making a device which clamped the seatpost firmly and pushed on the top of the seat tube, using M. Poisson's ratio as well as brute force to pop the post out.

It's the same principle as removing a car radiator hose from its stub: pulling the hose tightens it harder, but pushing the hose with a flat blade relaxes its grip.
fausto99

Post by fausto99 »

rogerzilla wrote: 7 Apr 2021, 7:25pm ISTR someone making a device which clamped the seatpost firmly and pushed on the top of the seat tube, using M. Poisson's ratio as well as brute force to pop the post out.

It's the same principle as removing a car radiator hose from its stub: pulling the hose tightens it harder, but pushing the hose with a flat blade relaxes its grip.
Sounds good. Never heard of such a device.
mattsccm

Post by mattsccm »

Find a firmly fixed vice. Clamp the seat post in it and use the whole of the frame as leverage. Never failed me yet. You may sacrifce the seat post though.
fausto99

Post by fausto99 »

mattsccm wrote: 7 Apr 2021, 9:58pm Find a firmly fixed vice. Clamp the seat post in it and use the whole of the frame as leverage. Never failed me yet. You may sacrifce the seat post though.
That's my first method of choice too, if I've decided the seatpost is dispensable.
ClappedOut

Post by ClappedOut »

mattsccm wrote: 7 Apr 2021, 9:58pm Find a firmly fixed vice. Clamp the seat post in it and use the whole of the frame as leverage. Never failed me yet. You may sacrifce the seat post though.
Insert socket or similar good fitting item in top of seat post and wrap old inner tube round post, clamp in vice.
This will stop seat post deforming and damage hopefully.
rogerzilla

Post by rogerzilla »

fausto99 wrote: 7 Apr 2021, 7:53pm
rogerzilla wrote: 7 Apr 2021, 7:25pm ISTR someone making a device which clamped the seatpost firmly and pushed on the top of the seat tube, using M. Poisson's ratio as well as brute force to pop the post out.

Sounds good. Never heard of such a device.
https://www.sheldonbrown.com/stuck-seatposts.html

No.14 on the (long!) list. This was for a carbon frame, but worth trying with metals too.
fausto99

Post by fausto99 »

rogerzilla wrote: 8 Apr 2021, 7:39am https://www.sheldonbrown.com/stuck-seatposts.html

No.14 on the (long!) list. This was for a carbon frame, but worth trying with metals too.
Yup, I can see how that would work with CF. Not sure about anything else.
Frank Wilson

Post by Frank Wilson »

Worked in the motor trade for many years and one of the best "solutions" for "breaking" a seal on two "fused together" components was good old Coca Cola.
gregoryoftours

Post by gregoryoftours »

Anyone have any chemical tips for aluminium in aluminium?