aero bars on carbon wrapped aluminium handlbars?

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
gingemonster

aero bars on carbon wrapped aluminium handlbars?

Post by gingemonster »

Hi

I have some ITM Triango Handlebars (https://www.amazon.com/ITM-Triango-Wrap ... B06Y4TW9LG matches) which I can see are carbon but I believe to be wrapped around 6061 aluminium. Now I know it highly advised not to clamp clip on aero bars around a carbon tube but I presume as these are carbon wrapped then I'm ok?

Thanks for any advice
Brian
mattsccm

Re: aero bars on carbon wrapped aluminium handlbars?

Post by mattsccm »

Replies will vary. Some people will predict the end of the world and painful death and others will wonder why you even posted. Probably to check with the makers of either or both sets of bars.
Me, probably yes.
Valbrona

Post by Valbrona »

I've only ever come across carbon-wrapped stems, not bars.
I should coco.
PT1029

Post by PT1029 »

I guess it partially depends on how much aluminium and how much carbon fiber there is. ITM say the bars are aluminium wrapped with carbon fiber.
It will also be affected by how tight you need to clamp the aero bars, which I guess will partially be determined by how you ride when on the aero bars (much rotation force on the clamps?), and how well the clamps fit the handlebars.
If the aluminium section is under the clamps, there might be a chance you affect the bonding between the aluminium and the carbon weave.
Probably too many unknowns/variable to give a definative answer. I had a quick look on line, no mention was made about clamping or not.
If you give it a go, some carbon seat post paste under the clamps might help with the grip, so reducing the clamp force required.
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

I have c2 Cannondale wrapped seat post no problems with it.

Carbon bars are fine with stem holding them.

The leverage from aero bars isn't great.

Cheers James
gingemonster

Post by gingemonster »

If it helps anyone else here was ITMs response when I asked them:
The item is old, and if it has a warranty card, this mean that the product is original and in this case, as the base is aluminium and carbon wrapped, still with the right torque, you can use the clip.

This inform is our of our responsibility, as we don’t know about that product if it is original or not.
Reading through the English (still way better than any translation Im capable of) I guess that confirms its ok