Super C Audax side pockets.

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
BerlinMatt

Super C Audax side pockets.

Post by BerlinMatt »

I am a big fan of this saddle bag- it is big enough for everything I need on a Brevet without being big enough to fit the things I think I will need the evening before. The only thing I dislike about it are the side pockets- They are shallow and the buckles don't pull down as far as on some other models. I have often lost things in the past- mostly flapjacks but occasionally tools.
With a couple of small stuff bags and some poor sewing I have attempted to solve the problem. I will ride with my wallet and keys in the pockets over some cobblestones tomorrow as a test...
Attachments
IMG_20210405_131221.jpg
IMG_20210405_140848.jpg
IMG_20210405_141515.jpg
markjohnobrien

Re: Super C Audax side pockets.

Post by markjohnobrien »

I’ve never lost anything, but tend to pack things in tightly in the side pockets.
Raleigh Randonneur 708 (Magura hydraulic brakes); Blue Raleigh Randonneur 708 dynamo; Pearson Compass 631 tourer; Dawes One Down 631 dynamo winter bike;Raleigh Travelogue 708 tourer dynamo; Kona Sutra; Trek 920 disc Sram Force.
BerlinMatt

Post by BerlinMatt »

I have a system for packing the pockets tightly, everything has it's place. But as I start to suffer for sleep deprivation the system breaks down :D
rogerzilla

Post by rogerzilla »

The Barley's no better. It very much depends on gravity to retain stuff in the pockets, which means a Bagman to keep it upright.

The Zipped Roll is much more secure, if it's big enough.
PH

Post by PH »

I don't know how they compare size wise, but the pockets on a Nelson are the perfect size and shape for those screw top tubs intended for bottle cages. which is great as long as the contents don't rattle.
BerlinMatt

Post by BerlinMatt »

PH wrote: 5 Apr 2021, 4:39pm I don't know how they compare size wise, but the pockets on a Nelson are the perfect size and shape for those screw top tubs intended for bottle cages. which is great as long as the contents don't rattle.
I tried using old Sudocrem tubs which works really well but the rattling on east german cobble stones was too much for me.
geocycle

Post by geocycle »

rogerzilla wrote: 5 Apr 2021, 4:19pm The Barley's no better. It very much depends on gravity to retain stuff in the pockets, which means a Bagman to keep it upright.

Agreed on both bags. I improved the Barley by making a new hole very high up the pocket strap, keeping them tightly packed with things like tubes and using plastic bags. I’d also prefer a much deeper inner draw string collar so there is no chance of anything escaping. I’ve not lost anything although did have to retrieve a mini pump that made a bid for freedom. The zipped roll is brilliant, just a bit small if you want to carry spare layers of clothing.
BerlinMatt

Post by BerlinMatt »

geocycle wrote: 5 Apr 2021, 5:00pm
rogerzilla wrote: 5 Apr 2021, 4:19pm The Barley's no better. It very much depends on gravity to retain stuff in the pockets, which means a Bagman to keep it upright.

Agreed on both bags. I improved the Barley by making a new hole very high up the pocket strap, keeping them tightly packed with things like tubes and using plastic bags. I’d also prefer a much deeper inner draw string collar so there is no chance of anything escaping. I’ve not lost anything although did have to retrieve a mini pump that made a bid for freedom. The zipped roll is brilliant, just a bit small if you want to carry spare layers of clothing.
I have a Barley or a Nelson- not sure which- it is vast. Due to it's size I use a bag support which keeps the bag horizontal and I haven't lost anything yet.
The zipped roll looks good, I think it could double up as a handlebar bag, but it is a bit small and I would have to choose between cake and tools. Also, I like the quick access you get with side pockets. Carradice is very hard to get hold of in Germany either way post Brexit....
De Sisti

Post by De Sisti »

geocycle wrote: 5 Apr 2021, 5:00pm I improved the Barley by making a new hole very high up the pocket strap, keeping them tightly packed with things like tubes and using plastic bags.
I improved the straps on my Barley to my liking. I find them easier to open/close with gloves on.

Image[/url]
rogerzilla

Post by rogerzilla »

You basically turned a Barley into a Super C Audax there. Ok, there are other minor differences, but a Super C Audax is a Barley-sized bag with side lock plastic buckles (and some 1970s graphics!).
Cyclewala

Post by Cyclewala »

I agree the trick with the Super C is to pack tight and put a large item at the top e.g. two inner tubes wrapped in plastic bag.
elPedro666

Post by elPedro666 »

BerlinMatt wrote:I will ride with my wallet and keys in the pockets over some cobblestones tomorrow as a test...
Wallet and keys as test mules, I admire your faith in your handiwork! Image Does look good though.

I'm a trendy consumer. Just look at my VOG-L09 using hovercraft full of eels.

BerlinMatt

Post by BerlinMatt »

elPedro666 wrote: 6 Apr 2021, 2:21am
BerlinMatt wrote:I will ride with my wallet and keys in the pockets over some cobblestones tomorrow as a test...
Wallet and keys as test mules, I admire your faith in your handiwork! Image Does look good though.

I'm a trendy consumer. Just look at my VOG-L09 using hovercraft full of eels.
Worked well - I got back into my flat without the help of a locksmith!