Replacement for old XT Front Shifter

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
philkeeble

Replacement for old XT Front Shifter

Post by philkeeble »

My wife's 2009 Hewitt Cheviot SE with a 3x9 XT build has a failed front (left hand) shifter. Identical replacements are no longer available. The series is M770 with a Deore 22/32/44 chainset and an XT top clamp (bottom swing) bottom pull front derailleur. She needs a light action short throw shifter as she has small hands and reduced wrist strength. She has no trouble with the current shifter, but struggles with the current Altus set-up on her trail bike.
Do all Shimano triples have the same ring spacing? Do all Shimano 3x shifters work with all Shimano 3x FDs? Does anyone have a recommendation as to what is the best compatible replacement? Worst case is I replace both shifter and derailleur.

Thanks,
Phil
elPedro666

Re: Replacement for old XT Front Shifter

Post by elPedro666 »

With everyone moving to one-by, they should be plentiful on eBay I'd have thought?

I'm a trendy consumer. Just look at my VOG-L09 using hovercraft full of eels.

elPedro666

Post by elPedro666 »

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/224412988168

For example.

I'm amazed it's worn out though, she must have done some massive mileage on it! I guess you've tried the usual 'blast it with lube' fix? Image

531colin

Post by 531colin »

The usual "failure mode" of these shifters is that one or more pawls get gummed up, so that instead of engaging with the ratchet, the lever flops uselessly about.
I haven't found just blasting them with lube to be very useful; I always have to squirt some lube in there, find the gummed-up pawl, and "work the mechanism" by supplementing the pawl spring with a push from a bit of wire, and running the shifter through all the changes.
Its a tedious business, at the moment I have a "back of the garage" rescue bike which is pretty resolutely stuck-up. Its a 7 speed cassette bike (not screw-on) must be over 20 years old, and I bet it hasn't done 20 miles!
philkeeble

Post by philkeeble »

Nah, it was a catastrophic failure. The seat/saddle/socket that the cable nipple sits in cracked in two, as I found when I got the cover off.

Phil
Attachments
DSC02880.jpeg
markjohnobrien

Post by markjohnobrien »

Shame as this kit is normally long lasting and durable - it is on my bikes anyway!
Raleigh Randonneur 708 (Magura hydraulic brakes); Blue Raleigh Randonneur 708 dynamo; Pearson Compass 631 tourer; Dawes One Down 631 dynamo winter bike;Raleigh Travelogue 708 tourer dynamo; Kona Sutra; Trek 920 disc Sram Force.
elPedro666

Post by elPedro666 »

Wow, wracking my brains (which proves little) and I can't ever remember seeing one of those give up!

To answer your initial question, any Shimano mtb 3x9 shifters should work, these will likely sell cheap:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/154399766800

Clean, smooth and well-lubed cables make all the difference to keeping the shift light in my experience.

elPedro666

Post by elPedro666 »

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Shimano-Deor ... 890.l49286

Just had a reply from the seller to confirm this is 3x (pretty sure there was also a 2x option, although it may have had a different m-number).

Good luck!

hamster

Post by hamster »

Got an LX LH 3x shifter you are welcome to for £10. Very tidy. PM if interested.
philkeeble

Post by philkeeble »

After many enquiries to parts sellers (“Shimano say don’t mix systems; can’t guarantee it’ll work, probably not”) and searching of forums (many conflicting opinions) I took a gamble and ordered an XT shifter for a 3x10 trekking groupo (specifically an M8000T) and am now happy to confirm one forum post that said: it’ll work so long as you keep a 3x9 FD and chainset. In fact it’s superior to the original so the wife is one happy camper, and my life is a lot easier!
philkeeble

Post by philkeeble »

elPedro666 wrote: 6 Apr 2021, 1:22pm
Clean, smooth and well-lubed cables make all the difference to keeping the shift light in my experience.
The improvement was probably down to new inners and otters that came with the shifter, as much as the shifter itself.

Phil
gregoryoftours

Post by gregoryoftours »

I find that otters are often a big help
gregoryoftours

Post by gregoryoftours »

I find that otters are often a big help. Shimano really do cover all the bases.
elPedro666

Post by elPedro666 »

gregoryoftours wrote:I find that otters are often a big help. Shimano really do cover all the bases.
Super smooth and slippery, self-lubing, great choice ImageImage