Shimano FH-M525A - buy spare or another?

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
mikeymo

Re: Shimano FH-M525A - buy spare or another?

Post by mikeymo »

531colin wrote: 11 Apr 2021, 5:38pm
zenitb wrote: 10 Apr 2021, 6:01pm Although in theory the drive side is wider than the non-drive side its not by much (12.5 vs 14mm). So pushing out the bearings in one go with a single 14mm drift would risk bending the race in the middle I think ? The YouTube method of gradually knocking it out at four points might be safer ?? What do people think ?
If you have access to a big enough vise, I would try pressing it out. Something 14mm in diameter through the hub, and a bit of tube about 40mm diameter to push the cup into? (tube bears on disc mounts?)
Thanks, excellent idea. If not a vice, a G-clamp or similar perhaps. An accurately cut drift of some sort, with the end perfectly square, should do it. And avoids the potential damage from hammering.

This is probably theoretical because, as others have pointed out, a reasonably well maintained hub should last, and the final bearing surfaces to go are the hub shell cups. Still, it's good to have an idea how to do it, if necessary.
531colin

Post by 531colin »

G clamp can go cocked but a vise will push straight?
mikeymo

Post by mikeymo »

531colin wrote: 11 Apr 2021, 5:58pm G clamp can go cocked but a vise will push straight?
You're right, quite possibly. I was mainly thinking of what I personally have. Though there are plenty of facilities I can "borrow" if this situation ever occurs.