Why is 17mm rim so hard to find?

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
gopolice

Why is 17mm rim so hard to find?

Post by gopolice »

got a halfords carrera crossfire hybrid. Front wheel stolen over a year ago...finally getting round to replacing it.
I got the £50 government voucher, i'm struggling to source a 17mm rim though.
The bike originally came with a 622x17 wheel rim.
Googling around though, many of the bike websites have rubbish filters so it's difficult to find specific things, and on top of that, 17mm wheel rims don't seem particularly common?

Would it make much difference if i got 18mm? There seem to be plenty of those about.
PH

Re: Why is 17mm rim so hard to find?

Post by PH »

No the extra 1mm wouldn't make much, if any, difference.
Though the Exal 17 is a decent 17mm rim
https://www.spacycles.co.uk/m20b0s116p1565/EXAL-LX17
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

If your rim is 1mm wider your tyre will be 0.3mm higher which you won't notice!

Your brakes if rim brakes will be slightly sharper with the wider rim but again nothing to worry about.

Cheers James
kylecycler

Post by kylecycler »

You'll be absolutely fine with 18mm or 19mm rims which are also fairly common. Your tyre size is (I think) 700c x 42mm, and 17mm internal rim width isn't even ideal for that tyre size - it's on the narrow side - so going wider would be an upgrade! :)
gopolice

Post by gopolice »

trouble i've got is i've contacted hawks cycles, halfords, the bike shop, around the midlands. 3 different places, all of them either have no stock, or not what they have advertised on the website.
Its proving incredibly difficult to source a 700c 17-19mm width wheel rim, in black, from a shop that is also in the Fix your bike voucher scheme - i can't do it online because you have to present identification etc...

i guess i'll have to keep trying more cities in the midlands until i find one!
kylecycler

Post by kylecycler »

I see your problem. If you could shop online I guess we could help more (more hands to the pumps!) but you might just have to try to find a Midlands shop or website that has one in stock. Weird times.

Only other thing is to watch you get either a rim or disc brake hybrid wheel depending on what your Crossfire has - earlier Crossfires had rim brakes, later and current ones, discs. Some hybrid wheels will be 'dual purpose' - they'll have a disc hub but also a braking track on the rim (flat with a wear groove around it) - so can be fitted to either rim or disc braked bikes, but they're fairly rare these days, I think. Good luck anyway.
PH

Post by PH »

gopolice wrote: 7 Apr 2021, 3:50pm trouble i've got is i've contacted hawks cycles, halfords, the bike shop, around the midlands. 3
Midlands is a big area, be a little more specific and someone may be able to point you at the right shop.
Is your voucher going to cover everything you need? If not, an alternative is to buy the rim online with your own money and have a shop do the rest on the voucher.
gopolice

Post by gopolice »

finally sorted it.....with the help of this excellent guide http://www.betterbybicycle.com/2014/04/ ... heels.html

managed to find Evan cycles in notts and Long eaton cycles, both on the scheme, both have for sale a Shimano RS100 front wheel, in black, and the Shimano website has the detailed spec, it's a 622x17c. And it's under £70, hopefully one of them has it in stock, and it's mission complete.
https://bike.shimano.com/en-EU/product/ ... -CL-F.html

curiously though, it has a recommended tyre size width of 23 to 32mm.
But on the guide above, and on the Swchwalbe matrix, it says for a 17C rim, i can stick on anything from a 25 to 52mm width.
I have a spare 42-622 Schwalbe land cruiser tyre, so yes, it will fit fine.
Finally, i now understand it all.

https://www.schwalbetires.com//tech_inf ... dimensions

my only concern now is the wheels seem a bit thin on the spokes...20 of them. I've no idea if this will be suitable. I'm light, 60kg kitted up, and it'll be on roads, paths, and maybe gravelly paths. I hope the rims don't fall apart after 6 months?
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

Hi

It is a bit light especially if you are dropping off curbs etc but you are using a decent sized tyre.

I have both r550 and rs10 wheels (previous versions) and both have been durable over pretty rough roads and canal towpaths. 70-75kg

I'm supprised you don't have an internal supply chain and spares dept for such items. Maybe you could set one up so that you have stock of them. As always keep on top of servicing, which isn't easy when your busy!

Cheers James