Wheel sizing

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Pebble

Wheel sizing

Post by Pebble »

When you get a measurement for a wheel such as 700-28 (622-18c) would the 18 be the likely internal width of the rim ?

nd what do you think the following means, I have seen simillat on a few descriptions
Not suitable for dropped handlebars !
Last edited by Pebble on 11 Apr 2021, 1:13pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jdsk

Re: Wheel sizing

Post by Jdsk »

Sheldon Brown: "Tire Sizing Systems":
https://sheldonbrown.com/tire-sizing.html

... and I'm looking forward to an explanation of the comment about bars...

Jonathan
531colin

Post by 531colin »

The tyre size won't necessarily fit under a dual pivot sidepull brake is what I think it all means
Pebble

Post by Pebble »

It is the measurements for a "WHEEL" not a tyre.
531colin

Post by 531colin »

Pebble wrote: 11 Apr 2021, 12:52pm It is the measurements for a "WHEEL" not a tyre.
OK.....fit the wheel without a tyre and see how it rides.
rogerzilla

Post by rogerzilla »

I saw a guy doing that last December. Front wheel, too. I could hear him coming before I saw him
Pebble

Post by Pebble »

531colin wrote: 11 Apr 2021, 1:55pm
Pebble wrote: 11 Apr 2021, 12:52pm It is the measurements for a "WHEEL" not a tyre.
OK.....fit the wheel without a tyre and see how it rides.
I don't understand why you are going on like this ? I'm just trying to get an insight into the various measurements given when buying a wheel.

I take it when you get a figure like 700c 28
that must be the ball park outer diameter after the tyre is fitted approx 700mm or 28 inches

(622 - 19c)
the 622 is obvious (and for once a meaningful accurate measurement) but what would be the 19 ? is that the inner rim width, I don't see how they would quote a tyre width as a specification of the rim as various widths would fit.

Anyway, I found one on ebay that give a diagram of the profile of the rim, so at least I now think I know what I am getting - lol
but even what I am buying has this warning "* Not Suitable for Road bikes with dropped handlebars" it must have some relevance to something, may be I will have to change the handlbars on my bike to get it to fit...

Tyre and rim sizes for wagons cars or bikes has always been a bit mad.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Pebble wrote: 11 Apr 2021, 2:41pmI take it when you get a figure like 700c 28
that must be the ball park outer diameter after the tyre is fitted approx 700mm or 28 inches

(622 - 19c)
the 622 is obvious (and for once a meaningful accurate measurement) but what would be the 19 ? is that the inner rim width, I don't see how they would quote a tyre width as a specification of the rim as various widths would fit.
Those figures, including width with an illustrative diagram, are explained in Sheldon Brown's "Tire Sizing Systems":
https://www.sheldonbrown.com/tire-sizing.html

Jonathan
531colin

Post by 531colin »

700 x 30 or 700 x 47 TYRES won't fit under a dual pivot sidepull brake....... the (E bay?) vendor doesn't want to keep getting wheels back from people who have bought the wrong wheel, and the easiest way he can think of doing this is to say they are not suitable for drop bar bikes.....because a lot of drop bar bikes have dual pivot sidepull brakes. (The vendor isn't necessarily an expert in bike mechanics, or a native English speaker, or selling exclusively to native English speakers or expert bike mechanics)
I don't see anywhere in the advert saying what the rim width is? The 28inch in the advert is the diameter.
.(622 -18 would be bead seat diameter and internal width, but I can't see it in the advert ?)
So the seller is of the opinion that the rim width is suitable for 30 or 47mm wide tyres....NOT 25 or 28mm wide tyres which will fit under dual pivot brakes.
mattsccm

Post by mattsccm »

As he said.
I guess the 622x18 is something that the person who searched for the wheel used.
TrevA

Post by TrevA »

It is getting on for being too wide for calliper rim brakes. I have used 19mm wheels on my winter bike with calliper brakes and the clearances are very tight. You also can’t safely fit tyres of less than 28mm to these rims, which again makes clearances tight. It can be done but it’s not ideal. I would say the max internal width for a rim braked road bike would be 17mm, and they would be better with 15mm width.
Sherwood CC and Notts CTC.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
Pebble

Post by Pebble »

I have been on 28mm marathon pluses for years, I certainly can't get them through the brakes without either removing a pad or letting the tyre down first. My dual pivot caliper is the easier as it has a cam thing that allows them to be temporarily opened wider for fitting (still can't fit inflated), but the original single pivot caliper is very tight even with the tyre deflated, I usually remove a pad (which is hardly onerous)

19mm rims are absolutely fine, they seem to be an excellent natural fit. 17mm have also been fine. My recent problems with my front wheel is down I believe for having too narrow a rim, I need a rim urgently a while back and the only one in LBS was a 13mm, he said it would be fine with 28mm - lol. I have had a series of punctures on the rim side, exactly between where the beads would be, they're not snake bites or spoke related, I can only imagine they are getting nipped between the beads? I have manage 6500 miles on this rim with possibly 6 punctures as described!
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

531colin wrote: 11 Apr 2021, 3:13pm 700 x 30 or 700 x 47 TYRES won't fit under a dual pivot sidepull brake....... the (E bay?) vendor doesn't want to keep getting wheels back from people who have bought the wrong wheel, and the easiest way he can think of doing this is to say they are not suitable for drop bar bikes.....because a lot of drop bar bikes have dual pivot sidepull brakes. (The vendor isn't necessarily an expert in bike mechanics, or a native English speaker, or selling exclusively to native English speakers or expert bike mechanics)
I don't see anywhere in the advert saying what the rim width is? The 28inch in the advert is the diameter.
.(622 -18 would be bead seat diameter and internal width, but I can't see it in the advert ?)
So the seller is of the opinion that the rim width is suitable for 30 or 47mm wide tyres....NOT 25 or 28mm wide tyres which will fit under dual pivot brakes.
Thanks for the explanation.

Jonathan
Pebble

Post by Pebble »

531colin wrote: 11 Apr 2021, 3:13pm 700 x 30 or 700 x 47 TYRES won't fit under a dual pivot sidepull brake....... the (E bay?) vendor doesn't want to keep getting wheels back from people who have bought the wrong wheel, and the easiest way he can think of doing this is to say they are not suitable for drop bar bikes.....because a lot of drop bar bikes have dual pivot sidepull brakes. (The vendor isn't necessarily an expert in bike mechanics, or a native English speaker, or selling exclusively to native English speakers or expert bike mechanics)
there was many different adverts from many different sources, you're wildly jumping to conclusions by assuming I was only refering to one. - which also casts doubt on the rest of your post, just wild speculation.
Jupestar

Post by Jupestar »

I would take the 18 to be the internal width of the rim, but i would also be checking that with the seller..