Broken Chain

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
VinceLedge

Broken Chain

Post by VinceLedge »

First ever broken chain whilst out riding today, it started making a regular clink/clunky, I checked it and could find nothing wrong, it then broke on a steep bit, so I toppled into the grass banking :D . Took a couple of links out with emergency chain tool and then back on the ride.
When I looked at the chain it appeared that an outer link had bent outwards and then popped the rivet. It was a fairly new chain , can't remember if KMC or Sram, I can't really see why this happened
531colin

Re: Broken Chain

Post by 531colin »

How did you join it when you fitted it?
VinceLedge

Post by VinceLedge »

Struggling to remember! I have changed chains on a few bikes recently! I think actually it might have been a Shimano one with the snap off rivet.
531colin

Post by 531colin »

Difficult to give an answer when we don't know what chain it is , or how it was joined. :?
As a rule, chains generally break where they have been joined/shortened/messed about with....although there have been cases where (for example) the outer link plates are "too" hard, and crack where the rivets go through. I have seen a photo of such a chain, with several cracked side plates as well as the broken one.
niloc

Post by niloc »

What speed chain?
VinceLedge

Post by VinceLedge »

10 speed
VinceLedge

Post by VinceLedge »

531colin wrote: 11 Apr 2021, 5:55pm Difficult to give an answer when we don't know what chain it is , or how it was joined. :?
Wasn't really expecting any diagnosis, but just interested in ideas, it didnt appear to be at the original join.
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

I broke a chain last weekend - see a ride for brucey!

I hadn't done anything with it since before my lejog 22 months ago. So was well past needing changing...

I was overly generous with lubrication before had which loosened the pin and outer plate landing me heavily on the tarmac.

Shimano chains are a pain to fix best to use quick links.

Stuff happens and being able to fix it is the mark if a competent cyclist!

Cheers James
philvantwo

Post by philvantwo »

Was that the ride when your missing link was.............
missing cos you'd left it back at home?
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Never broken a chain, though I lost a missing link once and had to walk home.
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=95227
Mick F. Cornwall
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Apart from not being correctly joined when fitted, as already suggested, I think the only other thing I've experienced is people who have managed to get a kink in the chain when changing gear.
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

I did have a piece of road dressing get lodged between the plates which shortly after blew the side plates apart! Most of the chain breaks i've suffered (actually very few, maybe 5?) have been well worn or damaged by dodgy gear changes. I never used to have any issues with rivetted chains but both Shimano and Campag chains have caused me issues at different times, its speed links now on any brand/speed chain.
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

philvantwo wrote: 11 Apr 2021, 6:44pm Was that the ride when your missing link was.............
missing cos you'd left it back at home?
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Yeap that's the one!

Ps I am the missing link...!!!
iandusud

Post by iandusud »

I've been cycling regularly for over 50 years and up until last year have never suffered a broken chain. I have seen many though and they have always failed at the rivet / side plate interface. I have generally put this down to either poor riveting, faulty materials or just pure abuse (trying to change too many gears under high load). Knowing some of the people who have broken their chains I think the latter is the more likely in most cases! However last year whilst enjoying a few days on the tandem in the Lake District on the last day a regular clunk developed which was clearly transmission related. Upon inspection when we got home I discovered that one of the side plates on the timing chain had broken clean in the middle. I'm amazed that we managed to finish the ride like that. What I found very surprising about this is that it was a 1/8" chain running dead straight and always well lubed, so not subject to corrosion. The only unknown factor is what brand as it was already fitted when I bought the tandem and had no markings to indicate who made it. Very strange. Since replaced with a KMC. BTW I always carry spare links and a chain riveting tool that works (I add that caveat as I have come across multi-tools with chain riveters that when put to the test don't work. I suggest that if you have one of these you test it on an old length of chain. It's better to find out that it doesn't work at home rather stranded in the middle of nowhere).
rogerzilla

Post by rogerzilla »

Always take a full 1" link of chain as a spare if you have a fixie, hub gear or SS (without chain tensioner). You can't usually shorten a broken chain on these bikes, not unless you have very long dropouts and you started off with the axle near the back of them, which would be unusual.

Same goes for the tandem timing chain above.