Broken Chain

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
peterb

Re: Broken Chain

Post by peterb »

VinceLedge wrote: 11 Apr 2021, 5:16pm First ever broken chain whilst out riding today, it started making a regular clink/clunky, I checked it and could find nothing wrong, it then broke on a steep bit, so I toppled into the grass banking :D . Took a couple of links out with emergency chain tool and then back on the ride.
When I looked at the chain it appeared that an outer link had bent outwards and then popped the rivet. It was a fairly new chain , can't remember if KMC or Sram, I can't really see why this happened
Happened to me - brand new expensive KMC 10speed chain, fitted with quick-link. Thought I had bottom bracket problem because of the noise. In my case luckily the chain survived until home and on close examination an outer link had bent outwards and separated from one of the rivets. I assumed a clumsy gear change might have caused the problem but couldn't remember having made one. I binned the chain
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

iandusud wrote: 12 Apr 2021, 6:59am I've been cycling regularly for over 50 years and up until last year have never suffered a broken chain. I have seen many though and they have always failed at the rivet / side plate interface. I have generally put this down to either poor riveting, faulty materials or just pure abuse (trying to change too many gears under high load). Knowing some of the people who have broken their chains I think the latter is the more likely in most cases! However last year whilst enjoying a few days on the tandem in the Lake District on the last day a regular clunk developed which was clearly transmission related. Upon inspection when we got home I discovered that one of the side plates on the timing chain had broken clean in the middle. I'm amazed that we managed to finish the ride like that. What I found very surprising about this is that it was a 1/8" chain running dead straight and always well lubed, so not subject to corrosion. The only unknown factor is what brand as it was already fitted when I bought the tandem and had no markings to indicate who made it. Very strange. Since replaced with a KMC. BTW I always carry spare links and a chain riveting tool that works (I add that caveat as I have come across multi-tools with chain riveters that when put to the test don't work. I suggest that if you have one of these you test it on an old length of chain. It's better to find out that it doesn't work at home rather stranded in the middle of nowhere).
I has that issue when I had to rejoin my chain. Cheap multitool. No real experience with it.

It worked fine but a bit crude.

Can anyone recommend a quality 10 SPD chain splitter?

Cheers James
philvantwo

Post by philvantwo »

Park tool chain CT4.3 Is the one in my toolbox, CT-5 I carry with me. Use your secret bank account james!
iandusud

Post by iandusud »

Jamesh wrote: 12 Apr 2021, 8:01am
I has that issue when I had to rejoin my chain. Cheap multitool. No real experience with it.

It worked fine but a bit crude.

Can anyone recommend a quality 10 SPD chain splitter?

Cheers James
You won't go wrong with either Var or Park. The Topeak Universal chain tool is also a good one and the handle screws into the body, which means that it can be unscrewed to make it more compact to carry on the bike. This is the one I carry with me.
https://www.tredz.co.uk/.Topeak-Univers ... l_1151.htm
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

philvantwo wrote: 12 Apr 2021, 8:23am... CT-5 I carry with me.
Me too.

And with the availability of magic links I don't now expect to buy anything else for the workshop.

Jonathan
VinceLedge

Post by VinceLedge »

The above replies sound like exactly what happened with mine, I thought it was a bottom bracket problem at first as well !
The chain worked fine after removing the broken link with no problems in another 30miles, but I will need to add a couple of links back in as it is now a bit short :D
The chain tool on my wee multitool worked fine, although needed quite a lot of strength as leverage was small
Other annoying thing was that against my own good advice I had forgotten to pack a pair of disposable gloves so got chain muck all over my riding gloves....
9494arnold

Post by 9494arnold »

I have seen a chain with a cracked roller ,on the front of a Tandem which manifested itself as an intermittent odd noise under pressure.

Same tandem developed another odd noise a month later, that was a partially stripped spoke nipple.
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Another cyclist who has ridden and maintain bikes over 50 years now.

Best advice –
If you hear a ticking stop and investigate the chain first.
Buy a chain splitter and practice on your old chain even practice while the chain is on the bike.
Use some quick links practising using them on the bike.
Carry a short section of used chain, if it's new and the chain is worn you might find it will skip a bit,/carry a new and an old bit.
Remember that QuickLink's magic links are sometimes single use!
Look at the specs and carry several.

Practice at home and of course always be prepared with your tools.
Nobody really wants to go home or walk there either/call her in doors.
regular maintenance is key it's called preventive maintenance.

All starts with observation of the parts, clean where you can and it's easier to observe anything that's going to go wrong or is starting to go wrong.
In my regular maintenance of my training bike on every ride which is only 30 odd miles, I visually inspect mostly, sometimes I need to do nothing, sometimes it's picking out thorns and noticing something has got very badly worn and needs replacing/it has been damaged and is liable to fail very soon.

Broken a chain only once that motorbikes and bicycles, so on the bicycle I had a ticking noise first I should've investigated And then the chain dropped off.
Fortunately I found it just 10 foot away and I didn't have to come back next day and try and find it! But I knew it was a cheap chain and I thought I had to do that I probably wouldn't bother trying to look.

Brucie would say and I was inclined to agree that don't try re-using rivets above an eight speed chain, above eight speed always use a quick link.
I regard re-riviting a chain on an eight speed as a very precise thing we need to get right, so probably it's always best to use a quick link instead, unless you feel happy And experienced in doing so.
When I split a chain and intend to re-join it only ever do it there once, I mark the link with quality Tippex, that way if I have to take it apart again I want reuse that pin, Without marking it what's the odds that you would reuse that pin? Well it is slight isn't it.
I never use quick links so I always join them but I haven't ever used a chain above at eight speed either.
I will cross that bridge when I eventually come to it.

My broken chain was corroded outer side links, cheap KMC chain, they might not even make that chain anymore.
good advice probably not to buy the bottom of the range chains of either make.
I only ever use secondhand chains on my training bike so maintenance is key there.
I also take the chains out to 1%.
I wouldn't do that on my proper bikes, but on the hack I feel quite safe, as long as I don't go beyond 1%.
As I said rusted side links!

Chain failure for no apparent reason / Damage Just happens sometimes but you just keep looking and keep maintaining.
Doing your own inspection and maintenance/repairs is probably a good idea too.

Edited- So the pedantic school teachers don't go for the Red Pen :roll: :mrgreen:
Last edited by NATURAL ANKLING on 13 Apr 2021, 2:10pm, edited 1 time in total.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
Richard D

Post by Richard D »

I popped a 12-speed Campagnolo chain on Saturday. It had only done about 300 miles, was well-lubed, and broke halfway along its length - nowhere near the joining link.

On the bright side, I discovered that (1) a 10-11-speed compatible multi tool chain breaker works just fine on 12-speed, and (2) in a pinch, an 11-speed quick link will work fine too.
philvantwo

Post by philvantwo »

Thought they were unbreakable?
Hope you're returning it for a replacement/refund!
Richard D

Post by Richard D »

I thought that we were supposed to treat chains as wearing/disposable parts?

Let’s see if it (or chain #2) breaks again.
philvantwo

Post by philvantwo »

A £50 chain that only lasted 300 miles?
De Sisti

Post by De Sisti »

Easier to read a long reply if it has some white space between lines: :!:
NATURAL ANKLING wrote: 12 Apr 2021, 11:22am Hi,
Another cyclist who has ridden and maintain bikes over 50 years now.

Best advice –
If you hear a ticking stop and investigate the chain first.
Buy a chain splitter and practice on your old chain even practice while the chain is on the bike.
Use some quick links practising using them on the bike.
Carry a short section of used chain, if it's new and the chain is worn you might find it will skip a bit,/carry a new and an old bit.

Remember that QuickLink's magic links are sometimes single use!
Look at the specs and carry several,
practice at home and of course always be prepared with your tools.
Nobody really wants to go home or walk there either/call her in doors.
regular maintenance is key it's called preventive maintenance.
All starts with observation of the parts, clean where you can and it's easier to observe anything that's going to go wrong or is starting to go wrong.

In my regular maintenance of my training bike on every ride which is only 30 odd miles, I visually inspect mostly, sometimes I need to do nothing, sometimes it's picking out thorns and noticing something has got very badly worn and needs replacing/it has been damaged and is liable to fail very soon.

Broken a chain only once that motorbikes and bicycles, so on the bicycle I had a ticking noise first I should've investigated And then the chain dropped off.
Fortunately I found it just 10 foot away and I didn't have to come back next day and try and find it! But I knew it was a cheap chain and I thought I had to do that I probably wouldn't bother trying to look.

Brucie would say and I was inclined to agree that don't try re-using rivets above and eight speed chain, above eight speed always use a quick link, I regard re-riviting a chain on an eight speed as a very precise thing we need to get right, so probably it's always best to use a quick link instead, unless you feel happy And experienced in doing so.

When I split a chain and intend to re-join it only ever do it there once, I mark the link with quality Tippex, that way if I have to take it apart again I want reuse that pin, Without marking it what's the odds that you would reuse that pin? Well it is slight isn't it.
I never use quick links so I always join them but I haven't ever used a chain above at eight speed either.

I will cross that bridge when I eventually come to it.
My broken chain was corroded outer side links, cheap KMC chain, they might not even make that chain anymore.
good advice probably not to buy the bottom of the range chains of either make.
I only ever use secondhand chains on my training bike so maintenance is key there.
I also take the chains out to 1%.

I wouldn't do that on my proper bikes, but on the hack I feel quite safe, as long as I don't go beyond 1%.
As I said rusted side links!
Chain failure for no apparent reason / Damage Just happens sometimes but you just keep looking and keep maintaining.
Doing your own inspection and maintenance/repairs is probably a good idea too.
DaveReading

Post by DaveReading »

Mick F wrote: 11 Apr 2021, 6:51pmNever broken a chain, though I lost a missing link once and had to walk home.
A saddle rail is a good place to tape a spare one.
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Power changes on the front derailleur, is a good bet to twist the chain.
I too probably rode several miles with only one side link connected, failed on the next hill.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.