Portable floor pump

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Steve

Re: Portable floor pump

Post by Steve »

I got mine from Aldi, about a fiver a few years ago, and it's fine for me, but I wouldn't say the gauge is particularly accurate. I also managed to break one of the handles so have to use it one handed. Previously I had one from Lidl. I only used that a few times, before the tyre valve leaked out at high pressure and the pump's plunger end shot out and nearly put a hole in the garage roof!
2_i

Post by 2_i »

Psamathe wrote: 12 Apr 2021, 12:39pm
2_i wrote: 12 Apr 2021, 12:37pm +1 Lezyne here too. I upgraded the gauge to digital. Runner up is the Topeak Morph Mini.
How/what did you do. Min has gone "sticky" in that it reads when 1st pump happens (e.g. 0 jump to 4 bar) but gradual changes and it sticks. Still useful as you just bleed the pump (back to zero) give a pump and it reads but if there is a cheap'ish easy change I'd be interested.

Ian
I got the replacement hose with the digital gauge, as linked by Jonathan. The hose was not cheap, but by that moment I already got a few years of good use out of the Lezyne and I did not show much sign of aging, so it was good for an upgrade, not a replacement. I also got the then new head, ABS-1 Pro. A photo of the upgraded pump is below. One simple truth that I absorbed about the pumps is that they are just regular pneumatic devices and can be experimented with and manipulated accordingly. I equipped, e.g., my full size floor pump, with quick releases for changing pump heads.

2_i

Post by 2_i »

Psamathe wrote: 12 Apr 2021, 12:39pm Min has gone "sticky" in that it reads when 1st pump happens (e.g. 0 jump to 4 bar) but gradual changes and it sticks. Still useful as you just bleed the pump (back to zero) give a pump and it reads but if there is a cheap'ish easy change I'd be interested.

Ian
More comment and a possible cheap solution. I looked at the mechanical Lezyne gauge and you can take it apart, unscrewing the body from the hose connectors. I suspect that you can clean the interior with alcohol and extend the life of that gauge.
scottg

Post by scottg »

Another vote for Topeak, Mountain Morph, the biggest mini pump.
Also Topeak sell replacement parts.

Or fit a Lezyne hose to a Zefal HPX.
+++++++++++++++++++++++++
Deutsche Luftschiffahrts-AG
+++++++++++++++++++++++++
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

No idea of budget, but if the OP wants cheapish I used to use a car foot pump. Big cylinder for volume. Schrader valve which he probably has. Clip on and easy to pump. Folds flattish for storage. Available from Halfords, Argos, etc.

I now have an Aldi track pump. Cheap, works fine for 55 psi and going strong after 4 years.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

I don't think a car foot pump is portable in the sense implied by the OP. IME, the normal - cheapo - ones burst the hose at quite low pressures in bike tyre terms
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

He's wanting to pump up 57mm tyres, so 30-50psi should be fine with a footpump.

I have a Blackburn track pump which for £15 is brilliant.

Cheers James
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

Post deleted.

I missed the OP's post about his current track pump on page 1.