Portable floor pump

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Shoogle

Portable floor pump

Post by Shoogle »

Any recommendations for portable floor pumps? I have 57mm MTB tyres and it takes ages to pump them up from flat with a hand pump.
Jdsk

Re: Portable floor pump

Post by Jdsk »

There's quite a lot of discussion in the archives:
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=139298

I like my Lezyne Micro Floor Drive. NB there are are HP and HV versions, and with and without a gauge.

Jonathan
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Jdsk wrote: 12 Apr 2021, 11:31am There's quite a lot of discussion in the archives:
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=139298

I like my Lezyne Micro Floor Drive. NB there are are HP and HV versions, and with and without a gauge.

Jonathan
+1 (with pressure gauge - though after a few years the gauge is a bit "sticky" now).

Ian
2_i

Post by 2_i »

+1 Lezyne here too. I upgraded the gauge to digital. Runner up is the Topeak Morph Mini.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

2_i wrote: 12 Apr 2021, 12:37pm +1 Lezyne here too. I upgraded the gauge to digital. Runner up is the Topeak Morph Mini.
How/what did you do. Min has gone "sticky" in that it reads when 1st pump happens (e.g. 0 jump to 4 bar) but gradual changes and it sticks. Still useful as you just bleed the pump (back to zero) give a pump and it reads but if there is a cheap'ish easy change I'd be interested.

Ian
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

There's a replacement hose and gauge:
https://ride.lezyne.com/products/1-hose-mfd-v1pen

The current models are "digital". I think this replacement hose and gauge would not older models:
https://ride.lezyne.com/products/1-hose-mfd-v1digi
NB the price difference!

Jonathan
Paul Smith SRCC

Post by Paul Smith SRCC »

I like the Lezyne, but I still see these as emergency pumps for when I puncture on a ride; I use a full size floor pump normally; as such I haven't invested quite as much as the Lezyne, I have personally used a Topeak Micro floor pump for over 15 years, the Mini Morph
Paul Smith. 37 Years in the Cycle Trade
My personal cycling blog, Bike Fitter at C & N Cycles
Member of the Pedal Club
markjohnobrien

Post by markjohnobrien »

I like the Topeak mini-morph but have never used one of these lezeyne pumps: I’ll have a look.
Raleigh Randonneur 708 (Magura hydraulic brakes); Blue Raleigh Randonneur 708 dynamo; Pearson Compass 631 tourer; Dawes One Down 631 dynamo winter bike;Raleigh Travelogue 708 tourer dynamo; Kona Sutra; Trek 920 disc Sram Force.
Shoogle

Post by Shoogle »

It's between the Topeak and the Lezyne, then. They're not cheap! My full size track pump, an Airkompressor, https://www.sks-germany.com/en/products ... 2-0-white/ was £20.
markjohnobrien

Post by markjohnobrien »

I’ve got the older model, all metal, SKS renkompressor track pump - hopefully last for years.

Topeak Joe Blow was good until somebody at work nicked it...
Raleigh Randonneur 708 (Magura hydraulic brakes); Blue Raleigh Randonneur 708 dynamo; Pearson Compass 631 tourer; Dawes One Down 631 dynamo winter bike;Raleigh Travelogue 708 tourer dynamo; Kona Sutra; Trek 920 disc Sram Force.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

A traditional track pump is optimised to get thin tyres to really high pressures. To fill fat tyres to a lower pressure needs a fat pump and the fatter the better. I've no experience of fat tyres or pumps currently on offer.
markjohnobrien

Post by markjohnobrien »

thirdcrank wrote: 12 Apr 2021, 5:00pm A traditional track pump is optimised to get thin tyres to really high pressures. To fill fat tyres to a lower pressure needs a fat pump and the fatter the better. I've no experience of fat tyres or pumps currently on offer.
My SKS track pump works equally well with my road or larger fat MTB style tyres on my 26”tourer and children’s bikes: it has a head for schrader and presta valves.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

markjohnobrien wrote: 12 Apr 2021, 5:05pm
My SKS track pump works equally well with my road or larger fat MTB style tyres on my 26”tourer and children’s bikes: it has a head for schrader and presta valves.
Same here, but I presume that "Portable" in the thread title means conveniently sized to carry on a bike rather than light enough to be shifted around in a shed.
rotavator

Post by rotavator »

Shoogle wrote: 12 Apr 2021, 11:28am Any recommendations for portable floor pumps? I have 57mm MTB tyres and it takes ages to pump them up from flat with a hand pump.
I use a Topeak Mountain Morphe for wide tyres. I must have had it for at last 15 years and it still works well despite suffering a bit of damage. I carry a Topeak Road Morphe for narrow tyres and it does the job nicely. I have a collection of other portable pumps that live in the shed since I don't like or trust them as much as the Topeaks.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

+1 for Topeak Morphes.

I have a road version - bought on impulse when Two Wheels Good were closing down in Headingley long ago. Bigger than I'd want to carry on a bike but I know others think they are worth it for the reliability. I've no experience of the Mountain version but it does fit my recommendation of a fatter pump to get the air into fatter tyres.

(If anybody's thinking why have the pump then? I use it if I have to perform maintenance duties elsewhere.)