How essential is PTFE tape for valve extenders?

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
bungle73

How essential is PTFE tape for valve extenders?

Post by bungle73 »

I just purchased some Schwalbe Aerothan inner tubes, but they only come with valves of one length which are too short for my 50mm Prime wheels. The wheels came with some extenders, which I've never required, so I was going to use those. I assumed it would be a simple matter of installing them on the ends of the valved and I would be good to go. Now, after some Googling, I've found you're supposed to put some PTFE tape on the threads. Is this essential? I installed one before I went on the net, and pumped it up and it seemed fine with no air leak. Having read what I've read I went onto eBay and ordered some tape, but it won't be here for a few days.

Also, how tight am I supposed to screw the extenders in? The one I did got pretty tight, but there is still some thread showing. Do I need to screw it in more? I didn't want to damage the valve thread on the tube as they're very, very expensive.
Paulatic

Re: How essential is PTFE tape for valve extenders?

Post by Paulatic »

If it wasn’t leaking then I wouldn’t have worried.
Back in the sixties, I don’t know if there was any PTFE tape then, but we never used it. Used to put a drop of gloss paint onto the threads of water pipes and never leaked.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
bungle73

Post by bungle73 »

OK. Thanks.
philvantwo

Post by philvantwo »

Used valve extenders on my Corima 4 spoke wheels years ago, PTFE or wuffty tape is essential to stop any leakage!
Oceanic

Post by Oceanic »

I‘m riding around on Schwalbe Aerothan tubes with valve extenders and no PTFE tape.

The valve extenders have a rubber gasket and I added a bit of vibra-tite threadlock.

The ‘valve tubes‘ on the Aerothan inner tubes are plastic so I didn’t want to use normal threadlock.
mattsccm

Post by mattsccm »

Got extenders on both of a set of wheels. Same tubes and extenders. One is fine without the tape, the other just leaks a touch. If it works, it works. If it doesn't, guess what :D
bungle73

Post by bungle73 »

Well I installed both tubes last night and pumped them up, and today the tyres still appear to be as firm as they were when I left them.
bungle73

Post by bungle73 »

Well first trip out on the new tubes and I got a puncture! :x

And on the exact same stretch of road I got a puncture a few weeks ago (different tyres)! Had a thorn go right through my tyre. Beforehand I heard a funny noise coming from the bike but couldn't work out what it was. I'm thinking now if I'd stopped to check I may have got it out before it went through the tube.

The tubes are a pita to fix though because you can't use standard patches and the area has to be scrupulously clean to apply the stick on patches that you're supposed to use.

One good thing though. I found the new mini pump I bought a little while ago didn't need much pumping to get the tyre back up to a rideable pressure. The previous one I was using was rubbish. It took ages.
mr riff raff

Post by mr riff raff »

A small piece of PTFE works. And saves any hassles. If you’ve got some, put in on.

Working in a builders merchant has its uses for this type of thing!
Politicians are wonderful people as long as they stay away from things they don't understand, such as working for a living.