XT Freehub FHM8000

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
RecumbentRide

XT Freehub FHM8000

Post by RecumbentRide »

I'm looking at getting a Shimano Deore XT Freehub (Centre-Lock Disc) FHM8000 and everywhere I look it states it can be used with 8, 9, 10, 11-speed cassette sprockets (not compatible with road 11 speed cassettes). I'm about to rebuilt a wheel with the FHM8000 hub.

Now I'm moving from a worn out SRAM Shimano compatible hyperglide hub which happily accepted a SRAM 12sp 11-50 NX. As far as I know or at least think I know all mountain bike cassettes with the standard HG freehub will accept 8, 9, 10, 11 and 12-speed cassettes for Shimano splined freehubs.

So is it safe to assume the FHM8000 will accept the SRAM 12spd cassette and why is Shimano stating the FHM8000 can be used with 8, 9, 10, 11-speed cassette sprockets but no mention of 12spd?
zenitb

Re: XT Freehub FHM8000

Post by zenitb »

Hi RR

I THINK Shimano say this because in the Shimano world this HyperGlide(HG) hub is only compatible with 8, 9, 10, 11-speed Shimano cassettes. Remember Shimano do have a 12 speed cassette but it does not have the old HG splines, it has completely different splines (MicroSpline TM see below).

MicroSpline hub .. different from HG so as to get 10 tooth sprocket for 1x
MicroSpline hub .. different from HG so as to get 10 tooth sprocket for 1x
https://www.bikeradar.com/features/shim ... -standard/

So if an unsuspecting user bought a 12 speed cassette from Shimano that cassette would be a MicroSpline one and would not fit the HG splines on the Shimano FH-M8000 hub. So Shimano are right in saying that THEIR 12 speed cassette will not fit this hub.

Now RR you have bought a 3rd party 12 speed cassette (Microshift wasnt it ?) that as far as I can see DOES fit the old HG standard. If I have understood all this correctly that will fit the FH-M8000 in the same way as it currently fits your MTH-506 one (both hubs have the standard HG splines)

Does that all make sense ? Happy to post more pics etc to show the difference better if that helps ....

(this is all about Shimano trying to compete with SRAM by having a wider range rear block (going down to 10 tooth) and as a result they have thrown the old HG hubs - the standard for the last 30 years - out of the window for their 12 speed offering)
RecumbentRide

Post by RecumbentRide »

No, that makes complete sense :thumbsup:

I'm about to build a second wheelset for my touring bike including new brake system, and it's a PITA to try and get components. Brexit, covid who knows but it's turned out to be a perfect storm with shops not willing to export to the UK period, or not able to export certain components to the UK (No idea what that's about)?? Shops here don't often have items in stock or fail to state on their websites the correct stock levels so very long lead time.
zenitb

Post by zenitb »

With a view to getting Shimnano 12 speed bits in the future one option MIGHT be to embrace the new Shimano Micro Spline standard and move forward with that. We saw on the last discussion that Shimano had some reasonably priced Micro Spline hubs .. like the FH-MT500 and FH-MT400 we looked at on the previous thread.

The drawback of that approach is that Shimano has followed SRAMs lead and made 12 speed Micro Spline cassetes crazy expensive .. you could end up spending more than double the cost of the hub on the cassette. Shimano's whole argument for Micro Spline was that it was going to make 12 speed cassettes cheaper .. no sign of it yet !! 100 notes for this SLX cassette - I'm assuming your MicroShift HG one was way cheaper than this...
how much ???
how much ???
I am sticking with my old HG hubs for now - 8 speed on my tourers/tandem, and 11 speed on my road bike.
fastpedaller

Post by fastpedaller »

I can only imagine how roughly a chain will run on a 10T sprocket, as I'd never be able to push the resulting very high gear :lol:
RecumbentRide

Post by RecumbentRide »

My SRAM HG compatible 12spd cassette cost me about £70 and no regrets :D