Think I'm a bit sad (Stumley Archer)

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
ClappedOut

Think I'm a bit sad (Stumley Archer)

Post by ClappedOut »

Here at the moment there isn't a lot of spare money as we get by, the neighbour (friend) committed suicide and I decided rather than going silly or getting depressed I would focus on cycles and my son.

I've bought 2 new 3 speed stumley archer hubs 127mm brand new, they don't fit anything we have, but I feel important to have a project.

Watching the raleigh rebuild I decided we wanted a Pub bike aka anyone could ride and theft proof.

I would quite like a raleigh enquire.

I have
One holy grail un used 3speed dyno hub
One mint internally and rusty external
One tidy external and rusted internal
One on order so so.

Thinking black paint the good intervals version or chrome paint-guessing sand down and enamel paint?
I don't own an anarak, but think I should as becoming an addiction
zenitb

Re: Think I'm a bit sad (Stumley Archer)

Post by zenitb »

hi ClappedOut

Could you not put the good internals in the good hub ? Or do they not fit

I have found RJ the Bike Guy to be a bit of a guru on this sort of stuff .. is this helpful ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHHaajDcL_g
mattsccm

Post by mattsccm »

Try the Sturmey Archer group on Facebook. Almost too much tech info there.
jimlews

Post by jimlews »

ClappedOut wrote: 14 Apr 2021, 11:20pm I don't own an anarak
Hi, Clapped Out.

An anorak is essential for cycling. I suggest you get one that is waterproof (and breathable).

I may be able to help with your bike project. I have a couple of surplus framesets that may suit your project(s).

PM me if interested.
robc02

Post by robc02 »

As someone else suggested, you could swap the good internals into the good shell. As long as they are both ordinary AW shells the innards should be interchangeable.

How rusty is the rusty internal? You may be surprised at how well it cleans up. Dismantle it and wash / scrub in white spirit. I have redeemed the apparently unredeemable this way!

This may be obvious, but take note of the number of spoke holes in your shells and make sure they match the rims you would like to use.

There is lots of good info on Tony Hadland's site:
https://hadland.wordpress.com/2012/07/0 ... cher-hubs/

and on the Sturmey Archer Heritage pages:
http://www.sturmey-archerheritage.com/

SJS have a good range of spares. Vince at Colwood Wheel Works offer Sturmay Archer repairs and holds spare parts, though I am not sure whether he sells them directly:
https://colwoodwheelworks.co.uk/sturmey ... b-repairs/
rogerzilla

Post by rogerzilla »

Shell swaps are easy. I have done loads over the years, the weirdest being an ASC into an S3X shell.

Do not dismantle the dynohub! Unless you have the correct keeper ring, the armature will be demagnetised instantly.

I would use the dynohub - it only has about a 2W output but the latest 1.5W LED lamps work nicely with it.

They can be respaced to fit the frame but most old ones have the 146mm axle, which will only go up to about 115mm width (120mm if you have thin dropouts and cheat a bit). A 160mm axle will just, and I mean just, stretch to 130mm but is happier in 120mm spacing. The longest is 175mm, which will do 135mm spacing easily.

I've rebuilt (and sometimes hybridised) the AW, AM, FW, ASC, S3X, SRF3 and SRC3, so ask if you need any help. There are many tricks for overhauling them and getting them to run perfectly.
ClappedOut

Post by ClappedOut »

:D I saw the Stumley keeper, I guess it's some sort of magnetic item,? and watched a few disassembly video's so thankful I haven't made the mistake.

I saw a coca cola de rusting video and it made short work of the rust from dynamo in good external one I have. Once clean I thought about some clear lacquer as the rust seems to be surface from dynamo going manky.

With a keeper should the electrical side have conformal coating on it or something else to prevent dynamo rust? It looks like grease or wax was used to seal between hub and dynamo chrome parts?

I think I have a small motorcycle tool kit from neighbors shed we cleared with a c spanner or I see a flat punch an option to remove innards

The frame offer very kind and I will send a message.

Regards the anorak, all joking aside what brands are breathable, durable, reasonably priced and suitable for fat club?
ClappedOut

Post by ClappedOut »

:D I saw the Stumley keeper, I guess it's some sort of magnetic item,? and watched a few disassembly video's so thankful I haven't made the mistake.

I saw a coca cola de rusting video and it made short work of the rust from dynamo in good external one I have. Once clean I thought about some clear lacquer as the rust seems to be surface from dynamo going manky.

With a keeper should the electrical side have conformal coating on it or something else to prevent dynamo rust? It looks like grease or wax was used to seal between hub and dynamo chrome parts?

I think I have a small motorcycle tool kit from neighbors shed we cleared with a c spanner or I see a flat punch an option to remove innards

The frame offer very kind and I will send a message.

Regards the anorak, all joking aside what brands are breathable, durable, reasonably priced and suitable for fat club?
Pneumant

Post by Pneumant »

Projects = good! I did similiar with my 90's mtb based 'town' bike. My hub is an old 3-speed AW and all the mod involved was a wheel build and an easy frame reset from 130 to 120mm. The SA hub adds a certain amount of 'charm' to the bike which was definitely not there before! Am certain Brucey declared that these hubs work well even when corroded. Maybe he meant the older oil fired versions?
sa2.JPG
rogerzilla

Post by rogerzilla »

I run mine in oil, simply because you never need to open them up again. Grease isn't for life, it requires a stripdown and clean every 1-2 years, which is far too much work.
cycle tramp

Post by cycle tramp »

I am sorry to hear about your neighbour. It's always a shock.

Don't limit your 3 speed as a pub 'only' bike. With the right conditions, they are capable of 50 miles a day journeys. Don't forget to post photos of your project :)
It's time to go :-)
ClappedOut

Post by ClappedOut »

Thanks for the replies, I have seen frame alignment with string, frame resetting I haven't tried and this will possibly be a daft question, I'm thinking powder coated will chip more than enamelled frames- is there a way to warm them or should powder coated not be "Adjusted"

Thank you for all the info so far, enjoying planning the next project and also getting miles on my last one
Pneumant

Post by Pneumant »

rogerzilla wrote: 15 Apr 2021, 9:40pm I run mine in oil, simply because you never need to open them up again. Grease isn't for life, it requires a stripdown and clean every 1-2 years, which is far too much work.
Yes I agree, I have a Brom with a grease lubricated SA hub. Not that complicated but some mechanical competence is required. Often design "changes" provide the supplier with potential service opportunities......
ClappedOut wrote: 15 Apr 2021, 10:56pm Thanks for the replies, I have seen frame alignment with string, frame resetting I haven't tried and this will possibly be a daft question, I'm thinking powder coated will chip more than enamelled frames- is there a way to warm them or should powder coated not be "Adjusted"
Thank you for all the info so far, enjoying planning the next project and also getting miles on my last one
I adjusted slowly and checked aligment with a straight edge from the headstock to the rear dropouts. Measure before any 'adjustment' to account for any designed offset of the chainstays. Powdercoat can always be touched up if in the unlikely event it cracks. Only cold-set steel by the way (high end steel tubing such as 753 excepted) , you can safely correct any errors, do one side at a time. My frame which is low end high tensile steel was easy to manipulate, took me 20 mins or so with the checks.
ClappedOut

Post by ClappedOut »

Thanks for tips
I bought some phosphoric acid gel and it is 100% and seems useless compared to the can of coke that is some cheap brand my partner drinks.

I have left the hub rusted areas soaking and looking at the hub it looks to me to be later type requiring the specific spanner- maybe I didn’t know what to search but I only found £30 ones so far.
Any advice on freeing the internals from hub would be great.

Thanks for all the pointers
rogerzilla

Post by rogerzilla »

The spanner isn't big enough anyway, and always needs percussive assistance. Remember that the act of pedalling really screws it tight on an AW. Just use a hammer and flat-faced punch with care.