Think I'm a bit sad (Stumley Archer)

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Mr Tom

Re: Think I'm a bit sad (Stumley Archer)

Post by Mr Tom »

To my amazement I was able to service one of these and put it back together again. I used the RJ video and another video about the pawl springs and Sheldon Brown's site. I ran into lots of trouble doing the same for someone else's hub as it was so rusty, just had to keep working through different rust remover products and using a hammer and punch and also the big spanner they make specially, with a cheater bar. I think you can get them online pretty cheaply for spares at least. Was a really satisfying project though, and so interesting, seeing how it all works
ClappedOut

Post by ClappedOut »

I currently have one soaking away.
I’m not too sure what I’m looking for I found a classic ring spanner but £30-40 seems a bit expensive for one spanner and wondering if a suitable c spanner with end ground could work

I have seen Chrome removal & electro plating kits with brush on eBay.

I’m not too sure how to attach a photo or more.

Just enjoying tinkering away.
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

When I was young I couldn't spell Sturmey either. I thought it should be Stur - men - ey and of course I realise now how wrong I was. You live and learn, innit...
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
Pneumant

Post by Pneumant »

ClappedOut wrote: 19 Apr 2021, 6:45pm I currently have one soaking away.
I’m not too sure what I’m looking for I found a classic ring spanner but £30-40 seems a bit expensive for one spanner and wondering if a suitable c spanner with end ground could work

I have seen Chrome removal & electro plating kits with brush on eBay.

I’m not too sure how to attach a photo or more.

Just enjoying tinkering away.
Easier to drift it off using a punch.
https://sheldonbrown.com/sturmey-archer ... embly.html
rogerzilla

Post by rogerzilla »

The planet cage pawl springs can be a bit of a challenge. A 4mm allen key can be used to prod the spring into position as you get ready to push the pin in to keep it there.
ClappedOut

Post by ClappedOut »

https://photos.app.goo.gl/Jd1SJGwnxUcHjtoS6

I’m not sure how to attach photos so hope you can see
Tapped with a punch unsuccessfully and lent the rubber strap tool and got both undone
I have the internally rusted reasonable chrome hub in bits and new bearings and should go back together- I wondered about mopping with metal polish and if clear lacquer is feasible as rust prevention?

I have also pictured exterior rusty with good internals - I wondered about removing rust and home electroplating or painting?

I have found caged races on eBay. Could someone tell me the right hand bearing sizes I did wonder if they are 3/16? And 24? Mine are badly corroded to measure.