How much to build up a frame-set?

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
David9694

How much to build up a frame-set?

Post by David9694 »

What with people apparently waiting ages for new bikes (is it still going on?) this is what I think it costs to turn a frame and forks into a bike - £417.

My aim was to spec an 8 speed (cassette) build from a 1” frame (of which I have several!), at a decent entry level, with mudguards.

Parts are new and are mainly from UK shops plus some EBay. Spa, Tredz and Wiggle all feature. I’ve assumed the German, French, Dutch and Italian suppliers aren’t an option for the present.

I’ve gone for Claris, but the rear mech seems hard to find in stock, so that is a Hong Kong Ebay price.
I’ve gone for some decent branded wheels, but there are cheaper sets on Ebay Bankrupt_bike_parts.
I’ve gone for the cheapest dual\SPD pedals I could find, but could easily shave £20 off the build price by doing basic ones.
There would be an option for stem shifters - I found some for £20 on Bankrupt.
I might need to allow £2-3 for a b/b cable guide, depending on the frame, and some need a stepped ferrule.

Frames-wise, that does seem difficult at the moment if you want to buy new. There’s still plenty of old 531 on Ebay, still around the £100 mark. Wiggle and Chain Reaction have a £189 offering and there was an unpainted alu frame only only on Bankrupt.

Hand written summary
Hand written summary
Spa Audax Ti Ultegra; Genesis Equilibrium 853; Raleigh Record Ace 1983; “Raleigh Competition”, “Raleigh Gran Sport 1982”; “Allegro Special”, Bob Jackson tourer, Ridley alu step-through with Swytch front wheel; gravel bike from an MB Dronfield 531 frame.
ElCani

Re: How much to build up a frame-set?

Post by ElCani »

Have to be honest, an upside down photo of a hand written note meant I gave up. :D

Edit: it’s only upside down (for me) if I click on it. Weird.
philvantwo

Post by philvantwo »

A shopping list?
Buy cheap..........buy twice.
gaz

Post by gaz »

I'm up to about £350 so far, but I'll be recycling brakes, mechs, shifters, tyres, tubes, saddle, front wheel, pedals, chain and cables from either an existing bike or the spares pile.

Probably another £50-75 to go.

Could have recycled a few more bits but we all want a bit of bling sometimes.
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
ClappedOut

Post by ClappedOut »

If your going columbus or Reynolds tubing, plenty of ways to build a cheap bike.
(being the doing on the cheap type-I have an old columbus frame and it will get to point that you can buy a reasonable bike for the repair costs)
The Money your suggesting would buy a second hand Btwin triban 540 or many other bikes needing tyre's and a service.
richardfm

Post by richardfm »

ElCani wrote: 18 Apr 2021, 9:43pm Have to be honest, an upside down photo of a hand written note meant I gave up. :D

It's not only you, it's upside down for me if I click on it
Richard M
Cardiff
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

That's why many of us I expect stockpile components.

I probably have enough items to build another bike if I needed too...

I have several short cage rear mech spare.

It's the sti levers that are spendy.

Cheers James
peetee

Post by peetee »

philvantwo wrote: 18 Apr 2021, 10:06pm A shopping list?
Buy cheap..........buy twice.
Not necessarily. With the performance available from cheaper Shimano groupset the best choice for most riders of lightweight road bikes is often regarded as 105. Groups above this offer, primarily, less weight rather than greater service life - in fact this can often be more easily achieved with the materials used in groupsets lower than 105 with steel chainrings, for example.
The older I get the more I’m inclined to act my shoe size, not my age.
markjohnobrien

Post by markjohnobrien »

I’ve got enough spare components to build three bikes - don’t know whether this a good or bad thing...
Raleigh Randonneur 708 (Magura hydraulic brakes); Blue Raleigh Randonneur 708 dynamo; Pearson Compass 631 tourer; Dawes One Down 631 dynamo winter bike;Raleigh Travelogue 708 tourer dynamo; Kona Sutra; Trek 920 disc Sram Force.
cycle tramp

Post by cycle tramp »

Jamesh wrote: 19 Apr 2021, 12:01am That's why many of us I expect stockpile components.

Cheers James
Yes, they are. Which is why I go for second hand friction thumb shifters from the 1980's They're simple to set up and operate any deraileur.
It's time to go :-)
cycle tramp

Post by cycle tramp »

Have you checked out your local bicycle re-cycling charity? Lots of little used bikes end up there. The last time I went to mine there was a big plastic tub of little used rear deraileurs, another one full of pedals and a third full of chainsets. Given a day, I possibly could have walked out with enough bits to build a decent second hand bike
markjohnobrien

Post by markjohnobrien »

cycle tramp wrote: 19 Apr 2021, 8:30pm
Jamesh wrote: 19 Apr 2021, 12:01am That's why many of us I expect stockpile components.

Cheers James
Yes, they are. Which is why I go for second hand friction thumb shifters from the 1980's They're simple to set up and operate any deraileur.
Call me boring but I use bar end shifters for the same reasons: cheap and will shift anything on friction. STI’s are very, very, expensive.
Raleigh Randonneur 708 (Magura hydraulic brakes); Blue Raleigh Randonneur 708 dynamo; Pearson Compass 631 tourer; Dawes One Down 631 dynamo winter bike;Raleigh Travelogue 708 tourer dynamo; Kona Sutra; Trek 920 disc Sram Force.
cycle tramp

Post by cycle tramp »

markjohnobrien wrote: 19 Apr 2021, 8:39pm
cycle tramp wrote: 19 Apr 2021, 8:30pm

Cheers James
Call me boring but I use bar end shifters for the same reasons: cheap and will shift anything on friction. STI’s are very, very, expensive.
Er... 'sensible', 'thoughtful' and 'future prove'would be the words I would use. If there is one possible ray of light to be had from the current situation where by spare parts for cycles become harder to source, it is that it may make the large manufacturers of bike components think again about groupset design, and we may go back to a golden age where bicycle parts work with each other - no matter from which group set or which manufacturer that they come from. Fingers crossed
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

The only image I've added to a post since the upgrade flipped the image through 90° too...
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
scottg

Post by scottg »

markjohnobrien wrote: 19 Apr 2021, 9:06am I’ve got enough spare components to build three bikes - don’t know whether this a good or bad thing...
If you want to keep posting here, you will have to try harder.
You need a typical garden shed, 1/2 full to meet the Forum standards. :)
+++++++++++++++++++++++++
Deutsche Luftschiffahrts-AG
+++++++++++++++++++++++++