Shimano Ultegra brakes

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
bazzo

Shimano Ultegra brakes

Post by bazzo »

Just need a bit of advice, I have had some Shimano Ultegra 6600 brakes lying around in the shed for quite a while. Decided to fit them to my work bike as a direct replacement for the Tiagra ones. I am only changing the callipers not the levers. Fitted the rear one absolutely fine, put the front one on, it doesn’t release after being applied. Took it off and gave it a good looking at, it springs back fine when closed by hand, the return spring force is much higher than the Tiagra it replaced. I checked the cable was running free, it was. I tried loosening the holding nut at the back,that had no effect. Put the Tiagra one back, it works fine. Completely baffled.
rjb

Re: Shimano Ultegra brakes

Post by rjb »

Check the brake shoes are set correctly. When worn a bit they can "dive" beneath the rim which causes them to stick. If so you may be able to dress them up a bit using a file, sand paper, or a sharp knife to trim the lip off the brake pad. :wink:
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
TheBomber

Post by TheBomber »

With the calliper fitted on the fork and the bolt done up, but without the cable attached, does it operate correctly? If not what is fouling the calliper arms or brake blocks to prevent it moving? Some brakes benefit from a washer on the calliper bolt to bring them forward slightly, clearing the fork legs.

Which model brake levers do you have? You’re not about to get caught by the change in cable pull ratios between SLR and NSSLR are you?
bazzo

Post by bazzo »

Thanks for the replies I will try them and report back.
rogerzilla

Post by rogerzilla »

There's usually a little nylon spring guide on one arm. If this gets damaged, the brake sticks.
bazzo

Post by bazzo »

TheBomber wrote: 19 Apr 2021, 8:02am With the calliper fitted on the fork and the bolt done up, but without the cable attached, does it operate correctly? If not what is fouling the calliper arms or brake blocks to prevent it moving? Some brakes benefit from a washer on the calliper bolt to bring them forward slightly, clearing the fork legs.

Which model brake levers do you have? You’re not about to get caught by the change in cable pull ratios between SLR and NSSLR are you?
Hi, the brake is fine until I tighten it onto the fork, must be something to do with the nursed nut at the back, perhaps too tight.
bazzo

Post by bazzo »

bazzo wrote: 21 Apr 2021, 4:15pm
TheBomber wrote: 19 Apr 2021, 8:02am With the calliper fitted on the fork and the bolt done up, but without the cable attached, does it operate correctly? If not what is fouling the calliper arms or brake blocks to prevent it moving? Some brakes benefit from a washer on the calliper bolt to bring them forward slightly, clearing the fork legs.

Hi, the brake is fine until I tighten it onto the fork, must be something to do with the nurled nut at the back, perhaps too tight. The brake lever is pulling the cable, the brake is just not releasing.
bazzo

Post by bazzo »

rogerzilla wrote: 21 Apr 2021, 11:09am There's usually a little nylon spring guide on one arm. If this gets damaged, the brake sticks.

Thanks I’ll have a look for that.
TheBomber

Post by TheBomber »

If you haven’t checked already then it would be worth looking at the instructions and exploded diagram:

https://si.shimano.com/#/en/search/Comp ... &type=ROAD

The washer I referred to is part 5 while the spring guide Roger mentioned is 9. This can be reversed to increase spring tension as shown in the instructions but I’ve never needed to.
bazzo

Post by bazzo »

To all who offered advice, I dismantled and cleaned everything, one of the Allen bolts is seized so couldn’t take it all apart. I reassembled it and all is ok. I suspect the nurled nut at the back was the issue, I just tightened it so there was no play.
Thank you for all the tips. Incidentally have you seen the price of the little plastic spring sleeves. The only place I could get one for Ultegra brakes would have cost £20, postage being the bulk of the cost. The little plastic sleeves for Tiagra brakes are 0.99 p at St Johns Street cycles, again postage is pricey at £3.99.
TheBomber

Post by TheBomber »

Glad you’ve got them up and running. Not sure if it helps but I’ve always given the moving bits on callipers a little squirt of GT85 when cleaning the bike to keep everything sweet. Obviously with a rag held behind to prevent any overspray onto rim or blocks. You never said which levers you have. Hopefully not Tiagra 4700.

P&P for small parts can be both reasonable and disproportionate at the same time. Where possible I try and tag the items onto a more substantial order. Alternatively if SJSC have the part it probably means your LBS can get hold of it easily too.