Effect of changing rear mech?

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
nirakaro

Effect of changing rear mech?

Post by nirakaro »

I'm currently running a Sora 9-speed long cage rear mech, and have the opportunity to replace it (free) with a Deore XT. Is it worth the trouble? Will I experience any improvement in shifting? Or, ain't broke, don't fix it?
531colin

Re: Effect of changing rear mech?

Post by 531colin »

10 speed MTB is a different cable pull
9 speed MTB is the same as 9 speed road
nirakaro

Post by nirakaro »

531colin wrote: 19 Apr 2021, 10:32am 10 speed MTB is a different cable pull
9 speed MTB is the same as 9 speed road
Yes, I've made that mistake before. these are both 9-speed.
markjohnobrien

Post by markjohnobrien »

As long as they are both 9 speed, I’d replace with the XT - will be able to fit a 36 rear cassette with that (if you want).
Raleigh Randonneur 708 (Magura hydraulic brakes); Blue Raleigh Randonneur 708 dynamo; Pearson Compass 631 tourer; Dawes One Down 631 dynamo winter bike;Raleigh Travelogue 708 tourer dynamo; Kona Sutra; Trek 920 disc Sram Force.
elPedro666

Post by elPedro666 »

I'd say it depends on which cassette you'd like to (be able to) run - if it's below ~30t I wouldn't bother changing as the road mech will follow that spread more closely, but if you'd prefer a wider range then the XT will cope better with that.

I'm a trendy consumer. Just look at my VOG-L09 using hovercraft full of eels.

TheBomber

Post by TheBomber »

I agree with elPedro on this one.

If there’s a 9 speed XT going spare you should snap it up though. Have you seen how much they sell for on eBay?!
markjohnobrien

Post by markjohnobrien »

TheBomber wrote: 19 Apr 2021, 6:12pm I agree with elPedro on this one.

If there’s a 9 speed XT going spare you should snap it up though. Have you seen how much they sell for on eBay?!
Yes, because they’re no longer made, the prices are crazy!
Raleigh Randonneur 708 (Magura hydraulic brakes); Blue Raleigh Randonneur 708 dynamo; Pearson Compass 631 tourer; Dawes One Down 631 dynamo winter bike;Raleigh Travelogue 708 tourer dynamo; Kona Sutra; Trek 920 disc Sram Force.
elPedro666

Post by elPedro666 »

markjohnobrien wrote:
TheBomber wrote: 19 Apr 2021, 6:12pm I agree with elPedro on this one.

Yes, because they’re no longer made, the prices are crazy!
I imagine there are a lot of people (myself included) running 9sp XT rear mechs on otherwise 10sp road set-ups, to give that larger cassette option; especially given the current popularity of 1-by.

I'm a trendy consumer. Just look at my VOG-L09 using hovercraft full of eels.

gregoryoftours

Post by gregoryoftours »

If it's in good condition definitely go xt. Sora is pretty decent these days but xt is better made, lighter and with better materials and pivots. It will probably shift a bit nicer and given the same use will take longer to develop slop or stiffness in the pivots/pulleys. Plus you can run bigger cassettes. Plus it says XT on it. :twisted: