Bar width

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
nez

Bar width

Post by nez »

I have had my Koga eWorldtraveller for a year now and all the time I’ve had it I’ve be bothered about the bar width - 69 cm. Now my old Dawes Super Galaxy is 45 cm. Of course one is drops and one mtb style. But I’ve never felt the need for great big bars. Before I get the angle grinder out, is there some pitfall to look out for? Thanks
Last edited by nez on 19 Apr 2021, 1:05pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jdsk

Re: Bar width

Post by Jdsk »

You've refitted the brake and gear levers etc in the future position, and practised with not using the ends that you're planning to remove?

After that the only pitfalls I can see are not using eye protection with the angry grinder and not fitting plugs in the bar ends.

: - )

Jonathan
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

I'd also add that you should have a good ride or few in the new set up before the chop.

Personally I like wider bars as they open up my chest. I always thought mine wide, but they are only 63.5.
nez

Post by nez »

Thanks both
scottg

Post by scottg »

Use a bit broom handle to test, before cutting. :D
il_794xN.1183479197_pcz8.jpg
+++++++++++++++++++++++++
Deutsche Luftschiffahrts-AG
+++++++++++++++++++++++++
nez

Post by nez »

scottg wrote: 19 Apr 2021, 1:26pm Use a bit broom handle to test, before cutting. :D

il_794xN.1183479197_pcz8.jpg
Elmore James ;-)
Greystoke

Post by Greystoke »

Having had narrow bars (now converted to drops) you will need some bar ends to allow a change of hand positions. Allow for these, the brake levers, gear changers, any other equipment such as cycle computer before cutting.
Ugly

Post by Ugly »

When you have decided on the width don't use an angle grinder, use a pipe cutter, the type plumbers use, it will ensure a straight cut.
nez

Post by nez »

Thanks. I have one but i’d quite surprised if it would cut anything harder than copper pipe. I suppose there’s always a hacksaw
Greystoke

Post by Greystoke »

Put a circlip on the bars and hacksaw up to that if your sawing skills deem it necessary
TheBomber

Post by TheBomber »

I use something like this for cutting all sorts of tubes:

https://www.tredz.co.uk/.XLC-Steerer-Tu ... op%20tools

You can even use them for trimming a steerer tube :wink:
nez

Post by nez »

simonhill wrote: 19 Apr 2021, 1:13pm I'd also add that you should have a good ride or few in the new set up before the chop.

Personally I like wider bars as they open up my chest. I always thought mine wide, but they are only 63.5.
This is a good point. There's nothing to stop me bacon slicing down to the right size.
SimonCelsa

Post by SimonCelsa »

Thanks. I have one but i’d quite surprised if it would cut anything harder than copper pipe. I suppose there’s always a hacksaw
You'd be surprised. I have a cheaper B & Q version of one of these: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/INGCO-HEAVY- ... Sh&LH_BO=1 and it has come in very handy cutting steerer tubes, seat posts and even 3mm stainless SKS mudguard stays (very good at this as it rounds off the cut edge nicely). I have been pleasantly surprised at how useful these cheap cutters can be.
elPedro666

Post by elPedro666 »

I'll second the pipe-cutter recommendation. Having been a pipe-fitter's mate, I find the idea of taking a hacksaw to any kind of tube just unthinkable

I'm a trendy consumer. Just look at my VOG-L09 using hovercraft full of eels.

nez

Post by nez »

Thanks for advice on this all. I did use a pipe cutter and it did indeed cut the bars quite easily. Some form of alloy. I took an inch off each end and you can barely tell the difference, except it feels a bit more compact and will go through the doorway into the garden without bumping. The bars are actually marked 64 but I think were quite a bit bigger. By the time you get the Ergos on with the little bull horns it measured 69 cm. Far too big. I would consider cutting them down another 1.5 cm but will ride around like this for a few weeks before plunging in.

I should say, by the way, that I am very broad in the shoulders. God knows who they used as a model to fit it.