Bar width

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
horizon

Re: Bar width

Post by horizon »

nez wrote: 19 Apr 2021, 12:57pm Before I get the angle grinder out, is there some pitfall to look out for? Thanks
There must be some reason for those wide MTB bars ...

One thing I might take into account is a heavily loaded front end (panniers, big tyre, bar bag, lights etc). Just wondering if a wider bar gives more leverage and thus lighter steering which might otherwise be quite heavy.
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
nez

Post by nez »

Good point, though its pretty wide after losing 2”!
elPedro666

Post by elPedro666 »

Leverage is the right answer; a modern mtb is so mind-bogglingly capable in steep, rooty, rocky situations, and so stable at terrifying speeds, you need to be able to keep hold of it as the surface tries to force it off line. Also, with the move to slacker head angles (my On-One TikTik is ~63°), it's handy to counteract any floppiness on slow climbs, not there's as much as you might imagine.

800mm isn't unusual now, but it really only makes sense if you have the fork travel and stiffness to need it, on less beefy front ends I find overly wide bars to feel abominable, with the leverage overwhelming any feelings or feedback. Sadly in some cases I imagine the width is simply following fashion.

I'm a trendy consumer. Just look at my VOG-L09 using hovercraft full of eels.

nez

Post by nez »

Thanks. It’s only got mtb style bars. No suspension etc. All the rest of the bike says ‘electrified tourer’. 2” off the width definitely improves it.
Chris Jeggo

Post by Chris Jeggo »

elPedro666 wrote: 27 Apr 2021, 4:09am ..... is simply following fashion.

I'm a trendy consumer. Just look at my .....
:)
elPedro666

Post by elPedro666 »

Chris Jeggo wrote:
elPedro666 wrote: 27 Apr 2021, 4:09am ..... is simply following fashion.

I'm a trendy consumer. Just look at my .....
:)
That did amuse me at the time too Image

I'm a trendy consumer. Just look at my VOG-L09 using hovercraft full of eels.