Anyone with any experience of using those inner tube repair spray things?

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
thirdcrank

Re: Tyre sealer/inflaters - do any of them work?

Post by thirdcrank »

Problems with moulded-in valves have been discussed before with a lot of suggestions. I can't remember other suggestions but my own system is this:-

Push-on inflators can cause trouble waggling the valve, so I think it's best to tighten the locking ring while inflating, obviously minimise waggling the valve with the pump. However, if that is tight when you have a puncture, then the deflating tube may pull on the valve, tearing it away from the moulding. Therefore, I loosen the lockring after inflating. Some tubes eg Michelin have smooth sides and no lockring. Avoiding waggling is then the only option.

A flexible connector hose is good. AFAIK, you only get the screw-on type with cheapo pumps these days, but a track pump AKA floor pump is a good investment for inflating at home. Also, there are sort of mini track pumps which are intended for use on the road

By lock ring I mean the tiny knurled nut which screw down the body of the valve

(I started on this just after you posted then got distracted by childcare)
Grandad

Post by Grandad »

'm informed that Halfords do something similar too - obviously a product with growing appeal and maybe spurred on by the eBike community for whom changing a motorised wheel is that more complicated?

I don't find disconnecting one cable beneath the chainstay adds any significant complication to removing the rear wheel and changing the innertube :D
ANTONISH

Post by ANTONISH »

thirdcrank wrote:Problems with moulded-in valves have been discussed before with a lot of suggestions. I can't remember other suggestions but my own system is this:-

Push-on inflators can cause trouble waggling the valve, so I think it's best to tighten the locking ring while inflating, obviously minimise waggling the valve with the pump. However, if that is tight when you have a puncture, then the deflating tube may pull on the valve, tearing it away from the moulding. Therefore, I loosen the lockring after inflating. Some tubes eg Michelin have smooth sides and no lockring. Avoiding waggling is then the only option.

A flexible connector hose is good. AFAIK, you only get the screw-on type with cheapo pumps these days, but a track pump AKA floor pump is a good investment for inflating at home. Also, there are sort of mini track pumps which are intended for use on the road

By lock ring I mean the tiny knurled nut which screw down the body of the valve

(I started on this just after you posted then got distracted by childcare)

I never use the knurled nuts - I don't find them of any particular value.
The only time I deliberately fitted one was when I had a longer than necessary valve on a low profile rim and there was an irritating clicking noise.
ALANWEAV

Post by ALANWEAV »

5E5369F8-FBB2-4B54-A68B-DA4A91BABFF4.jpeg
671C9086-3589-403F-8B22-B45A01A241DA.jpeg
09A44221-5915-401F-9ABD-653B7DCBA295.jpeg

Please find photos of valve and valve entry hole on wheel. I cannot see any sharp protuberances but have sandpapered on both sides and through hole. If I continue to have problems with flat tyres/ valve leakage I will purchase a new back wheel. Bike purchase is now out of warranty. Thanks for advice and help.
Alan
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

is it the case that your rim is drilled for Schrader and you have a presta valve installed? If so this is an ideal recipe for endless 'problems with valves'.

The cure is either to use something to support the valve properly on the inside of the rim (several options here) or simply to us Schrader valved tubes. I don't care much for Schrader on bicycles; I've modified many rims so that they only accept presta valves.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
mjr

Post by mjr »

Brucey wrote:is it the case that your rim is drilled for Schrader and you have a presta valve installed? If so this is an ideal recipe for endless 'problems with valves'.

As sold, it had Presta, but that does look like a bigger hole.

I'd fit Woods if so.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Has the valve hole been enlarged in an attempt to prevent it causing the damage around the seat of the valve?
hemo

Post by hemo »

I added slime to tubed tyres on a mtb and the result was no good, slime was no match for blackthorn needles tube material just not able to seal like a TL tyre.
My gravel bike with TL WTB's I use Effafetto caffe latex and no issues, then again I probably haven't run over nay blackthorn lately.
One does have to replenish the sealant quarterly as it does dry out eventually.
I have also seen another product that claims it will last the life time of a tyre and remains fluid and is an agricultural TL tractor/farm machine sealant that can also be used for other tyres inc bikes.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Brucey wrote:is it the case that your rim is drilled for Schrader and you have a presta valve installed?

Which is precisely why I suggested adding photos. : - )

But I think we need one more: the valve showing through the hole but without the knurled nut.

Jonathan
ALANWEAV

Post by ALANWEAV »

C6494490-63AB-4284-9DBC-95D387BBA2C0.jpeg
02B5C93A-F74D-43E9-A1CE-B66FADDD07E0.jpeg

Please find photos without nut as suggested.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

if you take the valve stem out of a failed tube, you will see that there is a tiny shoulder at the base, which is very slightly larger than the valve stem threads. It is this shoulder which prevents the valve stem from pulling through the hole in the rim. This means that if the rim hole is only fractionally larger than it needs to be the edge of the hole soon bears against the tube.

So your rims don't look as if they are drilled for Schrader but they don't look a really snug fit on presta either, so more checking wouldn't be a bad idea, eg using an old valve stem.

The other thing is that valve stems tear out of rear tubes if the tyre is run soft and you do a lot of climbing; could it be that?? Is there any sign that the tyre and tube are on the move?

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Charco123

Puncture talk

Post by Charco123 »

So I went out the weekend and I got a snakebite puncture on my road bike. Absolutely pissed I pumped it back up and hoped my decathlon puncture repair liquid in my tube would seal it and I could make my way back..... but this was not the case and it kept going down. I wiped the tube out went to put a glueless tab on but the f ding thing wouldn’t stick (jw3 brand). I have used the park tool tabs before that have worked great and I have the green slime in my mtb tubes that work great so I was shocked I couldn’t get back on my way! Is the reason the liquid repair didn’t work because it was a snakebite? Spoke to a friend and he said that could be the issue but the holes was smaller than the 3mm so I’m still unsure. Or is it more to do with the position of the snakebite which was more in the inner side of the tube near the rim tape! Cheers guys !

I'm a trendy consumer. Just look at my wobbly bog brush using hovercraft full of eels
ANTONISH

Re: Puncture talk

Post by ANTONISH »

Charco123 wrote:So I went out the weekend and I got a snakebite puncture on my road bike. Absolutely pissed I pumped it back up and hoped my decathlon puncture repair liquid in my tube would seal it and I could make my way back..... but this was not the case and it kept going down. I wiped the tube out went to put a glueless tab on but the f ding thing wouldn’t stick (jw3 brand). I have used the park tool tabs before that have worked great and I have the green slime in my mtb tubes that work great so I was shocked I couldn’t get back on my way! Is the reason the liquid repair didn’t work because it was a snakebite? Spoke to a friend and he said that could be the issue but the holes was smaller than the 3mm so I’m still unsure. Or is it more to do with the position of the snakebite which was more in the inner side of the tube near the rim tape! Cheers guys !

I'm a trendy consumer. Just look at my wobbly bog brush using hovercraft full of eels

I would guess that there is still some of the sealant on the surface of the tube despite you having wiped it.
A glueless patch still requires you to roughen the tube - I use Lezyne patches and I haven't had a failure yet ( I use sandpaper in preference to the cheesegrater that Lezyne provide).
I made an earlier post on this thread on the problem of Zefal tyre sealant lifting patches - I suspect that trying to patch a sealant filled tube may not be posssible.
MJNGP

2 SLIME or not 2 SLIME?

Post by MJNGP »

Good evening Ladies and Gents.., Just a quick question really on your experiences of SLIME tubes. Have you / would you fit on your trusty ride? If not, may I ask why, and would you suggest an alternative (also why)? I have never used them, but thinking they may be a wise addition on my 29er bike, used for long haulers. Can't go tubeless without spending a small fortune on a new wheelset and I'm not sure I'd trust a 'ghetto' setup.
Many thanks in advance.
Traction_man

Re: 2 SLIME or not 2 SLIME?

Post by Traction_man »

I had slime in both tubes, it was awful, gunging up the valves, which would then slowly leak air over time as they wouldn't close up properly after pumping up, and I'm sure the gunge slowed me down on the road! More rolling resistance?!

Any way, I ditched the tubes with the slime and bought new tubes, now no probs at all.

So for me, no more slime!

All the best,

Keith