Anyone with any experience of using those inner tube repair spray things?

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
GranvilleThomas

Re: 2 SLIME or not 2 SLIME?

Post by GranvilleThomas »

MJNGP wrote:Good evening Ladies and Gents.., Just a quick question really on your experiences of SLIME tubes. Have you / would you fit on your trusty ride? If not, may I ask why, and would you suggest an alternative (also why)? I have never used them, but thinking they may be a wise addition on my 29er bike, used for long haulers. Can't go tubeless without spending a small fortune on a new wheelset and I'm not sure I'd trust a 'ghetto' setup.
Many thanks in advance.

My daughter was averaging around a puncture a month on her mountain bike, and it got to the point where I was convinced someone was intentionally doing it, but it was mainly tiny shards of glass and the odd thorn that seemed to be causing the problem, mainly caused by the glass strewn lanes and paths she was accessing.

I have not been a great fan of slime filled tubes after fitting them to my commuting bike and one day I ran over a large metal staple whilst descending a small hill. The holes in the tube were too big for the slime to seal but the high speed rotation of the wheel caused a spray like a Catherine Wheel, to coat my back and the bike which was a nightmare to clean up afterwards :)

However I noticed Halfords were selling their own brand 'latex sealant' filled tubes at a substantial saving over 'Slime' branded tubes and fitted a couple of the Schrader valved versions in utter desperation in her tyres :)

Touch wood, after almost a year she has yet to get a flat, so has saved me a bit of work so maybe they can be worthwhile in some circumstances, of course it could just be luck and only time will tell

I am not sure that the presta valved version will work long term though as without the spring like in a Schrader tube the presta valve will most likely get clogged up and so leak?

Below is a link to the Halfords tubes which for not much money could be worth a try:

https://www.halfords.com/cycling/bike-p ... v1=Bikehut
timfoster

Gel filled tubes and Co2 pumps

Post by timfoster »

Can anyone tell me if the CO2 pumps are compatible with gel filled tubes? I recently returned to the UK. I bought a bike, just a cheap Halfords mountain bike, and within days myself and my daughter both had punctures. I bought gel filled tubes because I figured if Halford sell them, they must be reasonable. However, I have now discovered the amazing revelation of CO2! I didn't even know this was a thing. As we ride around Northampton we've seen these small cartridges on the floor and often wondered what they were. Now I've made the connection!

So, my question is are these compatible with gel-filled tubes? Is it even necessary as gel filled should mean punctures are less of a thing (they certainly haven't been a problem since we fitted the gel tubes).
PH

Re: Gel filled tubes and Co2 pumps

Post by PH »

timfoster wrote: As we ride around Northampton we've seen these small cartridges on the floor and often wondered what they were. Now I've made the connection!

The ones you see on the floor are more likely to be Nitrous oxide, AKA laughing gas, not sure it'll inflate a tyre, but maybe it'd make the puncture happy.
No idea about slime tubes or Co2, decent tyres and a good pump have always served me well.
Marcus Aurelius

Post by Marcus Aurelius »

timfoster wrote:Can anyone tell me if the CO2 pumps are compatible with gel filled tubes? I recently returned to the UK. I bought a bike, just a cheap Halfords mountain bike, and within days myself and my daughter both had punctures. I bought gel filled tubes because I figured if Halford sell them, they must be reasonable. However, I have now discovered the amazing revelation of CO2! I didn't even know this was a thing. As we ride around Northampton we've seen these small cartridges on the floor and often wondered what they were. Now I've made the connection!

So, my question is are these compatible with gel-filled tubes? Is it even necessary as gel filled should mean punctures are less of a thing (they certainly haven't been a problem since we fitted the gel tubes).

The simple answer is yes they are compatible. However, make sure the valve isn’t at the 6 o’clock position when you inflate the tube, or it gets messy.
timfoster

Post by timfoster »

Marcus Aurelius wrote:The simple answer is yes they are compatible. However, make sure the valve isn’t at the 6 o’clock position when you inflate the tube, or it gets messy.

Perfect Marcus, Thank you.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

similar topics merged
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
bungle73

Anyone with any experience of using those inner tube repair spray things?

Post by bungle73 »

As someone who seems to encounter lots of punctures (even with resistant tyres), that invariably happen in the middle of winter leaving me stood freezing at the side of the road for ages trying to fix it, I've been looking for the best way of mitigating the problem. I've been umming and ahhing over going tubeless (which depending on who you ask is either the best thing since sliced bread or the devil's work) or maybe using sealant inside a tube itself. Just today I came across this type of product - http://www.zefal.com/en/repair/175-repair-spray.html - which I've never encountered before. Basically it's a pressurised spray that injects a sealant into your tube, as well as a quantity of air to inflate it to a nominal pressure. Apparently it's only a temporary repair so you still need to either replace or patch the tube. This seems like it might be just the ticket. When I'm out and I get the dreaded hiss I could use this to get the tyre rideable again, continue the ride to home, and then repair the tube properly when I'm sitting in the warm and have more time. Thoughts?
markjohnobrien

Re: Anyone with any experience of using those inner tube repair spray things?

Post by markjohnobrien »

No, but I used “Slime” in the past which was a similar concept: the slime is already in the inner tube and seals punctures.
Raleigh Randonneur 708 (Magura hydraulic brakes); Blue Raleigh Randonneur 708 dynamo; Pearson Compass 631 tourer; Dawes One Down 631 dynamo winter bike;Raleigh Travelogue 708 tourer dynamo; Kona Sutra; Trek 920 disc Sram Force.
bungle73

Post by bungle73 »

markjohnobrien wrote: 19 Apr 2021, 3:54pm No, but I used “Slime” in the past which was a similar concept: the slime is already in the inner tube and seals punctures.
I've read people have had issues with slime. This technique avoids having to have sealant permanently in the tube, you just inject it when you need it. And apparently after a short while it just dries out (which is why you need to effect a permanent repair), so it seems like it would avoid any mess.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Tyre sealer/inflaters - do any of them work?

viewtopic.php?p=1517655#p1517655
mjr

Post by mjr »

bungle73 wrote: 19 Apr 2021, 4:00pmAnd apparently after a short while it just dries out (which is why you need to effect a permanent repair), so it seems like it would avoid any mess.
Hahahaha! There's more than enough mess when injecting it and the stuff is annoyingly difficult to clean off the wheel afterwards.

I still carry one in winter and on work travel because it's fast enough when it works to stay warm and make an appointment, plus some beige stuff to wash off your hands is better than black tyre and wheel dirt.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
De Sisti

Post by De Sisti »

bungle73 wrote: 19 Apr 2021, 3:47pm When I'm out and I get the dreaded hiss I.....
I have never, ever, heard a hiss when I've suffered from a puncture. It's usually a wobbly feeling
from the front or rear of the bike that requires me to investigate the issue.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

I carry one for the same reasons (in winter, numb fingers would struggle to replace an inner tube). Mine is a Vittoria brand. But fortunately never had to use it (yet) so I can't comment on how well they work.

Ian
mjr

Post by mjr »

De Sisti wrote: 19 Apr 2021, 5:01pm I have never, ever, heard a hiss when I've suffered from a puncture. It's usually a wobbly feeling
from the front or rear of the bike that requires me to investigate the issue.
Do you wear a certain item of clothing which puts wind-noise-creating straps in front of your ears?

I sometimes hear a hiss, but more often the first clue is the bump-bump-bump of the wheel rolling over the sharp sticking out of it.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
bungle73

Post by bungle73 »

Thanks. Appears to be another solution that is variable then.

I've had several punctures where I got a hiss. The last one I had a few days ago didn't give one though. That was a thorn sticking right inside the tyre. Sealant wouldn't have helped with that though because I was trying out a new pair of Schwalbe Aerothan tubes (supposedly more puncture resistant is one of their benefits) I'd just got, and sealant doesn't work with those.