Filling a small hole in a tyre

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Mr Tom

Filling a small hole in a tyre

Post by Mr Tom »

There's lots of info out there on this, some of which seems a bit suspect. Just wanted to see what people on here thought was the best way to sort this out.

Is just a puncture which has left a hole right through the tyre. I've got some wetsuit glue called 'Black Witch' that I thought might do the trick, or bits of inner tube, gaffa tape. Any ideas?
Attachments
IMG_0803.JPG
IMG_0805.JPG
Last edited by Mr Tom on 19 Apr 2021, 6:55pm, edited 1 time in total.
mjr

Re: Filling a small hole in a tyre

Post by mjr »

I think a traditional puncture repair patch is the best idea! ;)

For the tyre? I have used stormsure or stormseal or something like that before, but it rarely dries flat so a little sanding is needed afterwards.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Mr Tom

Post by Mr Tom »

Ah yeah thanks, I meant through the tyre obviously :D Have changed it!

I'll check those recommendations out, thanks
ClappedOut

Post by ClappedOut »

If it will stick we use black instant gasket to stop tyre rot on slow speed plant equipment or grind rubber off old tyre and vulcanising glue
Pneumant

Post by Pneumant »

Mr Tom wrote: 19 Apr 2021, 6:03pm There's lots of info out there on this, some of which seems a bit suspect. Just wanted to see what people on here thought was the best way to sort this out.

Is just a puncture which has left a hole right through the tyre. I've got some wetsuit glue called 'Black Witch' that I thought might do the trick, or bits of inner tube, gaffa tape. Any ideas?
Use super glue, any brand. Perfect for repairing small cuts in tyres.
Nessie23

Post by Nessie23 »

I would clean up the hole and plug it with another piece of tyre and glue in place with tyre cement. I would then rub down the inside of the tyre and apply a reinforcement tape (often found in a puncture repair kit as a large rectangular shaped patch. I would then pump up to desired pressure and if absolutely no sign of bulging/splitting then I would ride on it. Last year I had 8mm gash in sidewall and repaired with the reinforcement tape. It worked well but I inspected it every journey. Eventually it started to bulge again and the split increased and I immediately replaced tyre.
Years ago I did a temp repair on a sidewall gash using £1 note. It held ok to the end of my tour. Interestingly, while researching my recent gash I found a You Tube video exploring side wall repairs using a proprietary product, length of gaffer tape and a dollar $ bill. The dollar bill performed the best!
mjr

Post by mjr »

Pneumant wrote: 19 Apr 2021, 8:16pm
Doesn't that set hard, thereby forming a new sharp from the hole left by the previous one?
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
TheBomber

Post by TheBomber »

Doesn't that set hard, thereby forming a new sharp from the hole left by the previous one?
That’s my experience of using superglue in tyres
squeaker

Post by squeaker »

Shoe Goo works for me
"42"
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

I had damage to two indestructible tyres. Noticed a bump, I thought the tyre was not seated right, but it was a cut in the sidewall that is not 'indestructible', a small bulge, might have been caused by 'flying' glass

Had damage on another tyre to the tread as seen above, a tiny nasty sharp stone got right through. I fear that can not be properly mended, I should not trust it. But perhaps someone with vulcanising knowledge could fix it. Motor vehicle tyres can be retreaded, maybe cycle tyres could be too
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Mr Tom

Post by Mr Tom »

Thanks for all the ideas. Luckily I found another tyre in the garage that was a bit narrower, but I've wanted to swap down a little in size so it was all good.

I've heard the £ note thing before, good to know!
iandriver

Post by iandriver »

I think there is a flexible super glue that is far more appropriate than the regular one that is hard.

Think this might be it https://www.amazon.co.uk/Loctite-162107 ... 717&sr=8-5
Supporter of the A10 corridor cycling campaign serving Royston to Cambridge http://a10corridorcycle.com. Never knew gardening secateurs were an essential part of the on bike tool kit until I took up campaigning.....
hoogerbooger

Post by hoogerbooger »

Had a cm long gash on a side wall mid tour. I always carry waxed dental floss and a curved needle for emergency repairs. So sewed it up with knots and end on outside. Then stuck a bit of electricians tape on inside. Carried on cycling on it for several years and good few thousand miles until the tread wore out. Side wall remained fine.

It was a Conti-top touring with pretty thin sidewalls. Probably a fair bit harder to sew up thick side wall.
old fangled
freeflow

Post by freeflow »

Gorilla tape on the inside of the cut is relatively small. Shoe goo in the outside if there is an obvious hole.
Pneumant

Post by Pneumant »

mjr wrote: 20 Apr 2021, 8:56am
Pneumant wrote: 19 Apr 2021, 8:16pm
The superglue bonds the tyre back together rather than filling the hole; remove the tyre, bond and hold the cut together for a good join.