Cycling in croc sandals

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Garry Booth

Cycling in croc sandals

Post by Garry Booth »

Has anyone tried touring in swiftwater open toe sandals?
brumster

Re: Cycling in croc sandals

Post by brumster »

Can't answer that one, but I do recall an article ( 100 cols cycle tour? ) in what was think in either the CTC magazine or Cycling Plus and there was a guy who bungied a small stuff sac under his saddle.. he toured in crocs using studded platform pedals...if I can dig the article out, I'll post details.
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

Are you thinking of http://ultralightcycling.blogspot.com/
Has used crocs and done 100 cols
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
gaz

Post by gaz »

High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
brumster

Post by brumster »

Paulatic wrote: 19 Apr 2021, 8:48pm Are you thinking of http://ultralightcycling.blogspot.com/
Has used crocs and done 100 cols
Yeah that looks like the guy.
6.5_lives_left

Post by 6.5_lives_left »

Contrary to the advice in the link in Paulatic's post, I have toured with two pairs of shoes at the same time. A pair of SPD cycling shoes and a pair of lidle/aldi leather/velco sandals. The sandals pack quiet small but the cycling shoes take up quite a bit of space. I use shimano pedals with SPD's on one side and a flat platform on the other (PD-M324 ?). I put the sandals on when it starts raining. The rationale is that once it stops raining your feet dry out quickly and once to road dries out you can put the ordinary cycle shoes back on. I hate having wet cycle shoes because you feet end up wet all day after even a brief soaking. You have to be a hardy to do this in early spring or late autumn though.

I don't recommend sandals for hot sunny weather, I can't take the sun burn.
andrew_s

Post by andrew_s »

I imagine the OP is thinking of these, rather than standard Crocs
(clicky)

I've been using sandals (SPD versions) for about 11 years. If you get wet feet (rain, fords), they dry off quickly, and you don't need to carry separate shoes, or socks. The only downside is the funny suntan on the feet, if you care about that sort of thing.
Garry Booth

Post by Garry Booth »

thanks all. Iwas especially thinking of those open toed Crocs pictured. But I enjoyed the standard croc hack in the you tube clip!
I was just thinking of possible cycling sandals without SPD cleats. I know the Shimanos are said to be the sine qua non of such jesus boots but those crocs are a lot cheaper...
Any other suggestions welcome. G
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

I've cycled in bare feet, and once or twice in flip-flops.
Mick F. Cornwall
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

I've seen a few cycle in some type of open sandals, but beware of sun burn. Maybe not a problem if cycling in the UK, but if going further afield then you have to be careful of any long exposed areas of skin, particularly if they are horizontal.

If you are a Brit, there's always socks to set them off.
Cyclewala

Post by Cyclewala »

I've got some croc copies I used pre-pandemic for showering in the gym. If the weather was warm I would wear these as I cycled the two miles home instead of gym trainers. Didn't want to put damp feet into sweaty trainers as that encourages bacteria growth.

I was concerned they would wear quickly but they were fine over the two years or so that I cycled in them. Granted this is not touring, but they can withstand some miles.

On YouTube, there is a Finnish couple touring the world and the bloke pedals in crocs.
hoogerbooger

Post by hoogerbooger »

Might be slippery on pedals in wet conditions ? No stiffened shank like a proper cycling sandal so would be dubious about use for distance/harder pushing. Look fine for a lightweigh 2nd pair of shoes touring. Have taken standard Crocs for such before & cycled around town, to the beach etc, but not long distances.
old fangled
ANTONISH

Post by ANTONISH »

How good are they in the rain?