Using a quick release with a SON dynamo hub

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Mr Tom

Using a quick release with a SON dynamo hub

Post by Mr Tom »

I over-tightened the skewer on my SON dynamo hub last night after replacing a tyre and it snapped. After looking the product up at SJS I saw a reviewer saying the exact same thing had happened to them, so maybe not my fault. Anyway, I thought I might switch over to a quick release skewer, I always lock the wheel up anyway, so an allen bolt doesn't add any security really.

Has anyone on here used a QR skewer? I might email the company to see what they say. I can't obviously see why it would matter but maybe there is a reason, I don't want to spoil the hub!
Mr Tom

Re: Using a quick release with a SON dynamo hub

Post by Mr Tom »

Just heard back from Schmidt and they said it's fine to use a QR skewer, so I guess that's what I'll go for!
rogerzilla

Post by rogerzilla »

A lot of cartridge bearing hubs bind when you use a QR. The SON will be ok as the a/k skewer does much the same thing, but it's not a general rule. There are hollow-axle bolt-on hubs that can apparently take a QR (e.g. Goldtec) but you will ruin the bearings and it will be very draggy!
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

My SP dyno hub didn't come with a skewer so I used one from the hub it replaced.
Never given it any thought.

Tighten the skewer like you would do any skewer on any front wheel.
Mick F. Cornwall
David9694

Post by David9694 »

I went Allen key with my two Sons.
Will you run the terminals/wires and the QR lever on opposite sides to avoid misunderstandings?
Spa Audax Ti Ultegra; Genesis Equilibrium 853; Raleigh Record Ace 1983; “Raleigh Competition”, “Raleigh Gran Sport 1982”; “Allegro Special”, Bob Jackson tourer, Ridley alu step-through with Swytch front wheel; gravel bike from an MB Dronfield 531 frame.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

My QR is on the left, like it sound be?
Electrical connection is on the right.
Mick F. Cornwall
PT1029

Post by PT1029 »

Custom says have your quick release lever on the left, but the connectors (usually) must be on the right.
Some people put the QR lever on the right, as a reminder to disconnect the wires before dropping the wheel out.
Mechanically, you can have the QR lever on either side, it makes no practical difference.
Des49

Post by Des49 »

I have had a problem with the SON skewer too.

Was dealing with a bottom bracket creak, this persisted with a very very slight creak when out of the saddle despite everything I did.
Tried a different front wheel and the creak vanished! So put the old one back with the SON hub, tightened up the SON skewer and it snapped with little force! Luckily in my shed and not out on the road.

So there was a warning there but I was side tracked by the bottom bracket, meanwhile the skewer was fatiguing away.
Have never had a normal q/r release break and it has made me wary of the SON skewers.

Still use a couple of the original SON skewers, but also have bikes with q/r with SON hubs.
robc02

Post by robc02 »

I've been using a QR on my Son since I bought it around 16 years ago. No problems so far!
Redvee

Post by Redvee »

I'm using a QR skewer in my 12mm bolt-thru hub with no problems, lever is on the left as is the disc rotor etc.
Mr Tom

Post by Mr Tom »

Ah good tip about the QR. It was on the left anyway as it turns out.

When Schmidt replied they said there was an earlier version of their skewer which was less robust than the recent ones. So probably that's what I got as I've had my hub for a while now.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Thanks for adding their response.

Jonathan