I've cured the rattle!

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Jdsk

Re: I've cured the rattle!

Post by Jdsk »

TheBomber wrote: 21 Apr 2021, 3:20pm
Isn't it strange that you can mount a bike on a stand, or even turn it upside down, and play about with everything and rotating everything, and tapping and knocking everything, but the annoying noise when actually riding the bike is completely illusive?
I have one that is the other way round - I can only hear it when the bike is on the stand.
Is it expressing its desire to be out on the road?

: - )

Jonathan
TheBomber

Post by TheBomber »

Is it expressing its desire to be out on the road?
Looking at the sunshine out the window at the moment, then it's not the only one.
Nessie23

Post by Nessie23 »

Quick story from my early auto days. A customer returned a new car to dealer complaining of rattle on rough roads. Despite confirming the noise, stripping down and inspecting, the dealership could not identify the cause. Customer was demanding a buy-back so the dealer returned car to the manufacturer where it was my job to identify the source of rattle. Eventually the fitter came to me to say he believed the rattle was in the lower sill box-section of the body but to confirm he would have to drill into it and inspect with a camera. Eventually we cut into the box-section and removed a small glass bottle. Inside the bottle were 2 large nuts linked together with a label. Hand written on the label were the words.....”Noisy aren’t they.”
pliptrot

Post by pliptrot »

We have a Nihola cargo bike. You don't know about rattles until you have ridden one of these. If you can imagine a round box designed to make a noise.........
gregoryoftours

Post by gregoryoftours »

I've had a few interesting ones. Creaky steering caused by either the strands in gear outer shifting about or the ferrules creaking in the down tube cable stops. Extra ball bearing clicking around inside a hub, a broken peg of plastic rattling around underneath the plastic spider cover of a cheap chainset. Bits of swarf or spoke nipples rattling around inside wheel rims. Quite a common one is an inner tube valve collar slightly loose and buzzing/rattling on the rim.
Richard of York

Post by Richard of York »

Had a really irritating rattle for weeks from rear of bike on all but smoothest surface. Sounded plastiky, stopped when I stopped. Tweaked mudguards, did all the usual checks. Eventually turned out to be plastic buckle of Carradice Super C seat pack tapping on top of mudguard on rough surface. Sat happily off the guard when still. A bungie to hold pack up tight and over buckle solved it.
ClappedOut

Post by ClappedOut »

found extra crank bearings in frame of my bike, the chain guard side cup had wound out and previous owner adjusted each time without fixing problem.
high pitched noise from rear mudguard stay- the fitting seemed tight until flexed slightly.

frame lock keyring rattles on mudguard-key only removes when locked through rear wheel
VinceLedge

Post by VinceLedge »

Annoying creak that appeared to be front drive train, but once per revolution, found it was old pedal getting worn, regular spray of lube does the trick!
mig

Post by mig »

TheBomber wrote: 21 Apr 2021, 3:20pm
Isn't it strange that you can mount a bike on a stand, or even turn it upside down, and play about with everything and rotating everything, and tapping and knocking everything, but the annoying noise when actually riding the bike is completely illusive?
I have one that is the other way round - I can only hear it when the bike is on the stand. Obviously that shouldn't matter but it still bothers me as I know it's still there, just not loud enough to hear when cycling.

Perhaps this thread should be a list of noises and their cures - then it can be saved as a sticky?
or it may be the stand..!
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Out on a ride yesterday, 30miles, and my Sturmey Archer has started rattling again. :cry:
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=113217&hilit=rattle&start=225
Mick F. Cornwall
peetee

Post by peetee »

This is something I really hate and I can say with some authority that if I ever get the slightest noise from any of my bikes I’m off the saddle and investigating. I can only remember two instances; the first was a rattle from the rear brake cable on the top tube which I stopped with a rubber spiral wrap, the second was the creaking of my Raleigh 708 as its tubes gently fractured beneath me. :cry:
Over the years I have spent a lot of time investigating noises on customers bikes so I am pretty adept at identifying what parts, materials or movements create what sounds.
On club rides last year I was amazed and a bit (scuse the pun) rattled to hear how many people were happily riding creaky bikes as if it were normal and acceptable. When a steep hill was encountered and they got out of the saddle the din was dreadful! :lol: I will let you guess from my previous comments on this forum what their bike frames were made of. 8)
The older I get the more I’m inclined to act my shoe size, not my age.
Pebble

Post by Pebble »

Nessie23 wrote: 21 Apr 2021, 10:58am I work in the auto-industry and am obsessed with any squeak, rattle or tizz. Anyone remember the Golf advert with squeaky ear-ring?
On my bike a few weeks ago heard an annoying intermittent clicking sound from bottom brkt area. It disappeared when free-wheeling so obviously drivetrain related. Got home put bike in stand and turned pedal with ear all around driveline....nothing.
Next cycle the noise re-appeared and I finally diagnosed the problem. My shoe-lace (newish trainers) was flopping against the pedal stem (but not on every revolution) and the clear plastic covering to prevent lace from fraying was the culprit.
I had virtually the identical to that a few years back. A distinctive clicking on the right pedal, rebuilt pedal, put an old pedal on, put the old bottom bracket back on, could not recreate the clicking on the stand it was an on the road only problem. - got there in the end, New shoe laces catching bottle cage!

The other one that took a bit of finding was the insert for the bike pump rattling inside the pump, that bugged me for a week or two.
gregoryoftours

Post by gregoryoftours »

Another annoying one I've had is buzzing from some cheap Shimano 2300 STIs. I think that it was the indicators or plastic windows
francovendee

Post by francovendee »

Mick F wrote: 21 Apr 2021, 10:26am Has anybody had an annoying rattle that they eventually traced and then cured?
Stories please.

I have alu mudguards on Moulton, so they are prone to rattles.
I've already put gutter sealant under the bridges to dampen the sounds, but since stripping the bike last week and re-assembling, there was a rattle over the bumps coming from the rear mudguard.

This has happened in the past, and by stressing and straining at the stays, it went ............. only to reappear the other day. :cry:

Found it this morning! :D
One of the rear stainless stays was about an eighth of an inch too long (RH vertical) so the top of it was ever-so-slightly touching the curve of the mudguard. Removed the stay, and ground off the excess ................. and silence!

Just had a quick test-ride, and it's wonderful!
Proper bike ride tomorrow in peace and quiet.
Odd noises on the bike drive me potty until I've found and eliminated them.
When I stop the noise the whole ride seems much more enjoyable.
I'm sure there is a medical term for my excessive intolerance of a noisy bike. :oops:
francovendee

Post by francovendee »

Always expecting any noise to be a bike issue I was convinced that I had a bearing going in my pedal, regular click every stroke.
I checked for wear and found none. It took me most of the ride before I realised the tag on the end of my shoe lace was hitting the frame.
What a plonker!