Orbit Tandem Question

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
audaxjk

Re: Orbit Tandem Question

Post by audaxjk »

Hi again ClappedOut

Glad you're happy with the tandem. Hope you get loads of fun out of it.

A little tip that I was given about the pedals with kids:

The toestraps for your kid are useful to keep his feet on the pedals, especially at high cadences. The only trouble is that they can slip out, and as well the worry for his feet, the straps whack against the ground and can unbalance you a bit whilst you slow down, However, there is a simple yet brilliant solution! Attach a bungee cord between the stoker and pilot pedals as shown on our kiddyback. It really does work and you don't need to do the toestraps up tight. I leave them quite loose on ours because I know that the pedals won't rotate over.
Attachments
IMG_4412.JPG
IMG_4411.JPG
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

audaxjk wrote: 23 Apr 2021, 4:10pm Attach a bungee cord between the stoker and pilot pedals as shown on our kiddyback. It really does work and you don't need to do the toestraps up tight. I leave them quite loose on ours because I know that the pedals won't rotate over.
That's clever :)

I still might had to do up Mini V's when she was small just because of the way she was, but it certainly would have made things easier at some points.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
ClappedOut

Post by ClappedOut »

audaxjk wrote: 23 Apr 2021, 4:10pm Hi again ClappedOut

Glad you're happy with the tandem. Hope you get loads of fun out of it.

A little tip that I was given about the pedals with kids:

The toestraps for your kid are useful to keep his feet on the pedals, especially at high cadences. The only trouble is that they can slip out, and as well the worry for his feet, the straps whack against the ground and can unbalance you a bit whilst you slow down, However, there is a simple yet brilliant solution! Attach a bungee cord between the stoker and pilot pedals as shown on our kiddyback. It really does work and you don't need to do the toestraps up tight. I leave them quite loose on ours because I know that the pedals won't rotate over.
Nothing short of genius that suggestion.
Thank you for all the advice and anecdotes everyone.

Well after a day of hard work I hid in the garage this evening, I found a 36 mm spanner eventually so can adjust the Headset.
Fitted the stokers new seat.
Didn’t like stokers stem flex , it had deteriorated so a gloopy mess, didn’t like the way stem attachment on rubber so shimmed with thin aluminium and far more secure.
Soaking the chains and after a couple of rides and crust off, will re check with gauge.
Cut off damaged pedal straps- will try son on flats and see if straps would be beneficial.

Noticed timing chain right -then loose, appears that chain ring can be moved and then even out tension-guessing slightly eccentric chain rings.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

ClappedOut wrote: 24 Apr 2021, 12:39amDidn’t like stokers stem flex , it had deteriorated so a gloopy mess, didn’t like the way stem attachment on rubber so shimmed with thin aluminium and far more secure.
... which takes us to Zen...
https://www.excitant.co.uk/rip-robert-m ... n-quality/

: - )

Jonathan
ClappedOut

Post by ClappedOut »

Jdsk wrote: 24 Apr 2021, 12:45am
ClappedOut wrote: 24 Apr 2021, 12:39amDidn’t like stokers stem flex , it had deteriorated so a gloopy mess, didn’t like the way stem attachment on rubber so shimmed with thin aluminium and far more secure.
... which takes us to Zen...
https://www.excitant.co.uk/rip-robert-m ... n-quality/

: - )

Jonathan
Well my garage not Feng Shui but after a hard old week - it was tinkering time with a evening meal delivered to the garage by my partner who is convinced I’m having a mid life crisis.

However from seeing my boys Excitement about a ride out this weekend- I got “I will leave you to it” from my partner.
Mr.Benton

Post by Mr.Benton »

[
Noticed timing chain right -then loose, appears that chain ring can be moved and then even out tension-guessing slightly eccentric chain rings]
Sheldon Brown has a fix for this problem, see Adjustment section of this page https://www.sheldonbrown.com/synchain.html
ClappedOut

Post by ClappedOut »

Mr.Benton wrote: 24 Apr 2021, 7:24am [
Noticed timing chain right -then loose, appears that chain ring can be moved and then even out tension-guessing slightly eccentric chain rings]
Sheldon Brown has a fix for this problem, see Adjustment section of this page https://www.sheldonbrown.com/synchain.html
Thank you I had in my mind that it would be a rotation of chain rings relative to each other, I hadn't considered enough slop in mountings to centralise by loosening and tapping them.

Sheldon Brown website like a bible of information, shame the gentleman no longer with us.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

ClappedOut wrote: 24 Apr 2021, 12:39am
Cut off damaged pedal straps- will try son on flats and see if straps would be beneficial.

I would be cautious with this. You haven't said how old your son is, but kids seldom have the higher cadence of experienced cyclists and may 'lose' the pedals a lot. That can result in (likely minor) injuries if they are subsequently hit by the pedals.

At the very least, get your son to tell you if his feet come off, so you can pause pedalling long enough for him to put them back.

Certainly he can learn, but it would certainly be easier for him with toeclips. If you have them on the pilot's pedals & not the stoker's, I would do that the other way round. If he doesn't like the straps, you could try half (AKA MTB) toe clips, like https://www.wiggle.com/zefal-half-toe-clips-45
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Vorpal wrote: 24 Apr 2021, 1:14pm
ClappedOut wrote: 24 Apr 2021, 12:39am
I would be cautious with this. You haven't said how old your son is, but kids seldom have the higher cadence of experienced cyclists and may 'lose' the pedals a lot. That can result in (likely minor) injuries if they are subsequently hit by the pedals.

At the very least, get your son to tell you if his feet come off, so you can pause pedalling long enough for him to put them back.

Certainly he can learn, but it would certainly be easier for him with toeclips. If you have them on the pilot's pedals & not the stoker's, I would do that the other way round. If he doesn't like the straps, you could try half (AKA MTB) toe clips, like https://www.wiggle.com/zefal-half-toe-clips-45
Agreed.

Plus lots of communication.

Jonathan
ClappedOut

Post by ClappedOut »

Thank you all, had a tinkering session and the OCD associate with his various bikes dropped by and tried to take over.

I’m pleased with the fact I could afford a tandem at all, my knowledge of parts is somewhat limited to run of the mill bikes Shimano 105.

I would have been happy with any tandem

I cleaned the timing chain loosened chain rings as sheldon brown and with gloves pulled tight spots and several attempts later tightened it all up and With rear chain disconnected and cable tied out the way adjusted concentric crank- much much better and looks like it has never been moved before.

Adjusted headset to my satisfaction

There are some chrome bolts that are not the best, stainless from eBay less than £10, a fix I like.

Associate starts looking round and I get an itemised list of the spec
Hope 48hole rear hub cartridge bearings
Shimano front hub cone and cup
Fir rims
Magura 22 brakes
CNC chain rings
shimano exage 500
Deore xt derailleurs
Brooks B17
Can’t remember bottom bracket, but no snide remarks, so must be ok

From what he was saying the parts better than he expected, estimated a £2000 build cost.

While surprised at what I’m told, very pleased that parts I hadn’t realised were good quality all seem to be little wear and pleased the seller who I presume didn’t have a captain any longer was willing to give me such a nice bicycle at a price I could afford.

I’m looking at Pletscher Twin ESGE KS12 kickstand, the only thing that worries me is seeing tubing crushed on a Dawes galaxy on the internet. I did wonder if a Halfords twin at half the price no worse or if there is an axle twin stand? I have seen a pannier twin stand on a Dutch bike- but the brand escapes me.

I plan a ride gently tomorrow and I’m grateful about the straps etc advice which I will take great care and get some spare straps.

:D Really really pleased and looking forward to a summer of slightly further than 11 miles.
ClappedOut

Post by ClappedOut »

Okay well following the advice with straps etc the stoker informed me that he didn’t need bungees any more and would like to try the straps as expected- seems to like straps for confidence of not slipping.

The stoker informs me that top gear down a bridge is the fastest he’s been and we need to be faster generally (he’s hinting dad should be fitter) as he was pleased to get acknowledged by a couple of roadies

The stoker charges a 99 with a flake non negotiable to go for ride.

Popped the panniers on and took tops as Baltic on way home

The stoker has mentioned saddle and plans afoot.

New marathon supremes seem ideal on a tandem
iandusud

Post by iandusud »

ClappedOut wrote: 3 May 2021, 12:42am Okay well following the advice with straps etc the stoker informed me that he didn’t need bungees any more and would like to try the straps as expected- seems to like straps for confidence of not slipping.

The stoker informs me that top gear down a bridge is the fastest he’s been and we need to be faster generally (he’s hinting dad should be fitter) as he was pleased to get acknowledged by a couple of roadies

Sounds like you've caught the tandem bug :) . My wife and I bought an Orbit tandem three years ago and haven't looked back. One of the best things we've ever done. We're out most weekends in the Dales. Our last two summer holidays have been based in Northumberland with the tandem and this summer we'll be touring with camping gear. BTW we use 1.6" Marathon Supremes and I think they are excellent tyres for the tandem. They roll well on tarmac but can cope with packed gravel.
I suspect a 99 with a flake comes in cheaper than tea and cake in a café (if not a full blown lunch) so I think you're onto a good thing there.
markjohnobrien

Post by markjohnobrien »

ClappedOut wrote: 3 May 2021, 12:42am Okay well following the advice with straps etc the stoker informed me that he didn’t need bungees any more and would like to try the straps as expected- seems to like straps for confidence of not slipping.

Marathon Supremes are ideal on any bike carrying a load - especially touring and tandems- and I think they are superb.
Raleigh Randonneur 708 (Magura hydraulic brakes); Blue Raleigh Randonneur 708 dynamo; Pearson Compass 631 tourer; Dawes One Down 631 dynamo winter bike;Raleigh Travelogue 708 tourer dynamo; Kona Sutra; Trek 920 disc Sram Force.
roubaixtuesday

Post by roubaixtuesday »

Mr.Benton wrote: 24 Apr 2021, 7:24am [
Ah, mine does this - I didn't realise it could be corrected.

Thank you.