Orbit Tandem Question

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
ClappedOut

Re: Orbit Tandem Question

Post by ClappedOut »

Excellent well I have asked to visit and Regards drag brake I think a useful parking brake addition at a later date from SJS seems something to consider, I presume a locking BMX lever used?

Thank you all for the pointers, hoping it will be as good as it appears from pictures :D
BerlinMatt

Post by BerlinMatt »

ClappedOut wrote: 22 Apr 2021, 11:49am Excellent well I have asked to visit and Regards drag brake I think a useful parking brake addition at a later date from SJS seems something to consider, I presume a locking BMX lever used?

Thank you all for the pointers, hoping it will be as good as it appears from pictures :D
I use an old toe strap or a piece of velcro as a parking brake- this is useful on trains and ferries. On our tandem I have set the drag brake up with an old friction thumb shifter, when we bought it it was stoker operated- this strained stoker/captain relations :wink:
You will have to check if your hub will except that brake, if it not I don't think it is worth the expense. Magura brakes are lovely. We rode from the UK to Berlin in 2018 and were really glad to have the extra brake but we were carrying a lot more luggage than most people would need...
Attachments
tandem.jpg
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

BerlinMatt wrote: 22 Apr 2021, 4:23pm
I use an old toe strap or a piece of velcro as a parking brake- this is useful on trains and ferries. On our tandem I have set the drag brake up with an old friction thumb shifter, when we bought it it was stoker operated- this strained stoker/captain relations :wink:
I use velcro straps.

My stoker is 12, so not to be trusted with a drag brake :lol: :lol:

Fun picture, btw :)
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
zenitb

Post by zenitb »

+1 for the toestrap "parking brake" solution - light and free in my case. Use it on all my bikes now but most useful on tandem for leaning againt things safely.
ClappedOut

Post by ClappedOut »

I’m not sure how to multi quote but thank you everyone for all the great advice as I now own a tandem- a sentence I thought I would never say, as I thought I couldn’t afford one.

The Lady I bought it off was very kind and I think the few items that need attention are minor as you can tell with seat post grease etc it was well loved.

1) headset very slight play and wants adjusting
2) Mud guards are a plastic sandwich with foil inside that has corroded- cosmetics as still structurally functional
3) it’s obviously been well cared for but wants a once over and cleaning
4) tyres will need doing in medium term, tempted to fit jack brown blue as like the tyres if the right size available and suitable 700c marathon and a conti on front
5)Swap stoker saddle for a Dunlop as a cheap wide bell.
6) Coaster brake at later stage possibly as the wheel will take one.
6 chrome fasteners a little rusty and stainless replacements an idea
7) Chain stay protector and a chain guard if possible? dry lube planned

It occurred to me a stand would be good idea.
Pletscher Twin ESGE KS12 Possibly? Or is there some suitable twin cheaper that will do and not damage frame

I was given some panniers so they should be useful.

Had a couple of mile ride to test it out, need to set pedals to 11 and tilt the bicycle to get on son with low seat seems to be okay- need to remove straps and fit flats.

Checked the air in tyres, have ridden with a pillion years ago on a motorcycle, it’s an odd sensation when stoker bounces timing chain.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Hope you have as much fun as we've had with ours.
ClappedOut wrote: 22 Apr 2021, 10:56pm... and tilt the bicycle to get on son with low seat seems to be okay
We have a golden rule: pilot on first, both feet on the ground, then the stoker. And dismount in the reverse sequence. So when there's someone on the back the tandem is never held up by arms alone by someone who isn't astride. YMMV.

Jonathan
ClappedOut

Post by ClappedOut »

Jdsk wrote: 22 Apr 2021, 11:02pm Hope you have as much fun as we've had with ours.
ClappedOut wrote: 22 Apr 2021, 10:56pm... and tilt the bicycle to get on son with low seat seems to be okay
We have a golden rule: pilot on first, both feet on the ground, then the stoker. And dismount in the reverse sequence. So when there's someone on the back the tandem is never held up by arms alone by someone who isn't astride. YMMV.

Jonathan
Excellent advice and exactly how I have done it, son mounts after I’m on and to be fair we need to go through his seat and handle bar adjustment properly.
( watched a few YouTube videos prior to purchase)
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

Jdsk wrote: 22 Apr 2021, 11:02pm Hope you have as much fun as we've had with ours.

Jonathan
I had to do it the other way around when my kids were small, as they generally needed some help. I don't see it as any different than putting a child in a seat, and then mounting. There is a small risk that the bike could fall with the child on it, so it does require some care (one reason a parking brake is handy). With a larger stoker, I think that whoever mounts first has to be able to hold the bike upright whilst the other person gets on, and that should be discussed and agreed in advance.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Vorpal wrote: 23 Apr 2021, 8:41am
I had to do it the other way around when my kids were small, as they generally needed some help. I don't see it as any different than putting a child in a seat, and then mounting. There is a small risk that the bike could fall with the child on it, so it does require some care (one reason a parking brake is handy).
I found it different because of the extra leverage caused by the greater distance from the front bars to to the child. But the Super Galaxies are very floppy when held that way, and I imagine that differs between tandems.

Jonathan

PS: How young did they start on the back? Younger granddaughter was happy at 4y old last year, but with our children we started with a flat bar as a footrest even before the Kiddicrank.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

Jdsk wrote: 23 Apr 2021, 8:47am I found it different because of the extra leverage caused by the greater distance from the front bars to to the child. But the Super Galaxies are very floppy when held that way, and I imagine that differs between tandems.

Jonathan

PS: How young did they start on the back? Younger granddaughter was happy at 4y old last year, but with our children we started with a flat bar as a footrest even before the Kiddicrank.
The Thorn child back tandems aren't very floppy. I only had problems when someone wiggled.
Also, if there was something suitable around (low wall, fence, corner, etc.), I could put the 'parking brake' on, lean the bike slightly, and prop the front wheel against something, then use the stoker's bars to stabilise the bike whilst I dealt with getting someone settled. The main jobs were doing up toe clips, and dealing with loose clothes or hanging bits that might get caught in a chain. Mini V was keen on floofy skirts, and creative enhancements to her clothes. Littlest on the other hand, just never did anything up himself. He'd go around holding his trousers up, rather than do them up. :lol:

edited to add: I have occasionally mounted backwards so I could stabilise the bike with my legs, deal with whatever, then off & on again. It's not my preferred method.

Mini V was 3 when I bought a used Thorn Voyager. She was big for her age & could reach the pedals with them in the short holes on the cranks, and the saddle in the lowest position. She took to it like a duck to water.

Littlest could reach the pedals around the time Mini V outgrew the tandem, so that worked well for us. I think that was summer Mini V was 9 and Littlest was 6.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

: - )

Jonathan
ClappedOut

Post by ClappedOut »

Vorpal wrote: 23 Apr 2021, 8:41am

Jonathan
I had to do it the other way around when my kids were small, as they generally needed some help. I don't see it as any different than putting a child in a seat, and then mounting. There is a small risk that the bike could fall with the child on it, so it does require some care (one reason a parking brake is handy). With a larger stoker, I think that whoever mounts first has to be able to hold the bike upright whilst the other person gets on, and that should be discussed and agreed in advance.
My poor use of punctuation may confuse so apologies.
I set the pedals at 11 tilt the bike and climb on,
Both feet flat on floor and brakes on,
Son uses pedal as a step and gets on,
Both agree we are off and push hard down on pedals to get momentum.

My plan today to swap stoker saddle as its one of those bell ones from Halfords that is huge, I have a spare Dunlop for him to try.

I'm still confused on tyre choices, the miss match currently, marathon supremes seem a choice the Jack brown blue I like- not sure I'd like two adults on a tandem on them.

Quite excited and so is my son
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

I taught my kids to bring the pedals round to 2 o'clock for me, once they were settled, I was on, and my legs were clear :)

I used toe clips for my kids, so I generally had to tighten those. I recommend them, or a clipless system for younger stokers.

The best tyres I've had on the tandem were Vittoria Randonneurs. I can't get thise, now & I've currently got Marathons on. They are fine for what the tandem is mostly used for these days, taking Littlest (now 12!) to music lessons and friends' houses.

Enjoy! My kids both loved it.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Vorpal wrote: 23 Apr 2021, 10:21amI used toe clips for my kids, so I generally had to tighten those. I recommend them, or a clipless system for younger stokers.
We settled on toe clips and straps, but rarely tightened.
Vorpal wrote: 23 Apr 2021, 10:21amI taught my kids to bring the pedals round to 2 o'clock for me, once they were settled, I was on, and my legs were clear
Similar but with added shouting. So once the bike is up and running the pilot calls "Foot up" to allow a pause while both stop pedalling for the other foot to be inserted.

The 7 year old put in a complaint last week because there are clips and straps on the tagalong tandem trailer trike BUT NOT ON THE FOLLOW-ME BIKE.

Jonathan
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

Jdsk wrote: 23 Apr 2021, 12:34pm
Vorpal wrote: 23 Apr 2021, 10:21amI used toe clips for my kids, so I generally had to tighten those. I recommend them, or a clipless system for younger stokers.
We settled on toe clips and straps, but rarely tightened.
Vorpal wrote: 23 Apr 2021, 10:21amI taught my kids to bring the pedals round to 2 o'clock for me, once they were settled, I was on, and my legs were clear
Similar but with added shouting. So once the bike is up and running the pilot calls "Foot up" to allow a pause while both stop pedalling for the other foot to be inserted.

The 7 year old put in a complaint last week because there are clips and straps on the tagalong tandem trailer trike BUT NOT ON THE FOLLOW-ME BIKE.

Jonathan
:lol: :lol:

Both my kids would take their feet out of the toe clips frequently if I didn't do them up pretty well. They eventually learned not to, then I could leave them loose enough that if they got tired, they could take their feet out and rest them on the cross tube. I thought about putting foot rests there, but never got round to it. Littlest now prefers them done up tighter than he can manage.

I've always gotten both mine to do up both feet before we set off. I don't use any toe clips or clipless. I used to use toe clips, but I lost a screw holding a toe clip onto my pedal once when we were out & about, and just took the whole thing off. I found it less faff, so took the other off, as well.

Mini V was generally pretty helpful on the bike. She signalled for us and learned to say 'oil up' from my club mates, to their amusement.