Orbit Tandem Question

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
ClappedOut

Orbit Tandem Question

Post by ClappedOut »

I have been offered a Orbit Tandem with Magura HS11 or HS33 on it. there is no drag brake and I have a stoker.

1) With the brakes mentioned is the bike 1990's and does it need a drag brake?
2) Are the Mud Guards alloy or chrome as brown stains in pictures and water marks- buff out or renew?
3) Handling I have a 700c columbus alle framed touring bike and worried about weight etc

thought it could be a good option as can't afford a bosch ebike, but a fit stoker for free and no clue as to worth- what should I be paying when we view it if suitable?
pq

Re: Orbit Tandem Question

Post by pq »

Drag brakes are great for very long descents where normal brakes would overheat. They don't stop you as such but they scrub off enough speed that your regular brakes can cope with the remaining load. So whether you need one depends where you ride and how heavy your rig is. I've had 2 tandems and neither have had a drag brake which has been fine becasue I don't ride in properly big mountains. These days I do ride hills on it, but with a 7 year old on the back and no luggage a pair of V brakes is ample. Those Magaras are supposed to be excellent on a tandem, so provided you won't be overheating your rims on alpine descents they should be OK.
One link to your website is enough. G
ClappedOut

Post by ClappedOut »

pq wrote: 21 Apr 2021, 10:30pm Drag brakes are great for very long descents where normal brakes would overheat. They don't stop you as such but they scrub off enough speed that your regular brakes can cope with the remaining load. So whether you need one depends where you ride and how heavy your rig is. I've had 2 tandems and neither have had a drag brake which has been fine becasue I don't ride in properly big mountains. These days I do ride hills on it, but with a 7 year old on the back and no luggage a pair of V brakes is ample. Those Magaras are supposed to be excellent on a tandem, so provided you won't be overheating your rims on alpine descents they should be OK.
Thank you for the reply I'm just trying to decide if I can afford it as I believe it to be £200-300 I'm happy for a ridable project. I do see Vikings that my relative sneers at as a cheap option.

flat round here

really just trying to gauge, what I should be paying and a small fund for repairs.
https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/brakes/kara ... aces-arai/ which I could add at a later date if compatible?

thanks for advice
horizon

Post by horizon »

We use our Dawes Discovery Twin (no drag brake) for local trips and keep the weight and downhill speeds down and the brakes in good nick (they are even just cantilevers). All works fine.

PS Karasawa looks interesting though AFAICS you need a brake lever and cable as well.
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
ClappedOut

Post by ClappedOut »

Thanks we are only looking for a local flat ride without climbs or long descents. so I feel a little less worried about hydraulic brakes and drag brake missing.
I know things like rims are heavy duty on a tandem and expensive to replace- but uncertain about other parts.

What I'm trying to get my head round is if a £200-£300 tandem is a bargain or money pit and whether a Dawes Galaxy Twin at £400-500 a better bet saving for?
zenitb

Post by zenitb »

Not sure what your rellie has against Viking tandems clappedOut.. .. if you are dipping your toe into the water than a Viking tandem is a good way of doing it without too much investment. Generally they use mountain bike parts so cheap to maintain - and with flat bars are very stable to ride - a crucial factor for a new tandem rider. They also do some stoker friendly frame sizes with low stoker top tubes - crucial factor for me. The only thing I would say is that you cannot buy Viking tandems new anymore so CONDITION is crucial. Look out for rusty bits that are a sure sign its been left out in the rain - and avoid. Oh yes and the saddles are awful .. swap them asap if it has not been done already.

Have you got a photo of said Orbit tandem ? If you post one up I could take a punt at its value - although I am not really a tandem expert I can probably recognise which incarnation of Orbit it comes from .. which is related to its value. One of the key things is the sizing and fit of course .. can your stoker get over the rear top tube ????

If you live in a flat area there is really no need for a drum brake IMO. I live in Hampshire and have never needed one - as long as your front and rear brakes are good - ours are v-brakes and if the Magura's are working (??) they should be as good. My personal view is a lot of this drum brake stuff on tandems dates from the era before v-brakes and disc brakes, when standard brakes were either hard to adjust cantilevers or very weak calipers .. and in that era I can understand why you would need more umph..

Of course check the tandem club website .. they have tandems for sale and you could compare it with them ? https://www.tandem-club.org.uk/

The tandem club also have a great Facebook group and you don't need to be a paid up Tandem Club member to join the facebook group and ask for help there ... lots of very friendly polite people who can encourage and help you with tandems.. (umm... including me :-) ) https://www.facebook.com/groups/tandemclubuk/
ClappedOut

Post by ClappedOut »

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1n2_4Ja ... p=drivesdk I have first refusal from discussions, the tandem club link the thorn in sales section looked perfect but too far away.

Well I have seen some pictures and decided rightly or wrongly Dawes Galaxy is more than I can afford in one go, I tried but sniped more than I can afford each time as well worth the money.

Being able to use a Tandem requires the stoker to be willing aka my son or stepdad-better to start cheap and upgrade if interested longer term. I'd love a decent Ebike but don't have the budget

I believe it is a Reynolds 531 frame from 90's and I have decided to take a punt, I believe it should be usable from what I am told and seen.
Hopefully my goal of longer rides is achievable with a stoker.

I can have a project that hopefully will increase my family and my fitness.
ClappedOut

Post by ClappedOut »

zenitb wrote: 22 Apr 2021, 12:50am Not sure what your rellie has against Viking tandems clappedOut.. .. if you are dipping your toe into the water than a Viking tandem is a good way of doing it without too much investment. Generally they use mountain bike parts so cheap to maintain - and with flat bars are very stable to ride - a crucial factor for a new tandem rider. They also do some stoker friendly frame sizes with low stoker top tubes - crucial factor for me. The only thing I would say is that you cannot buy Viking tandems new anymore so CONDITION is crucial. Look out for rusty bits that are a sure sign its been left out in the rain - and avoid. Oh yes and the saddles are awful .. swap them asap if it has not been done already.

Have you got a photo of said Orbit tandem ? If you post one up I could take a punt at its value - although I am not really a tandem expert I can probably recognise which incarnation of Orbit it comes from .. which is related to its value. One of the key things is the sizing and fit of course .. can your stoker get over the rear top tube ????

If you live in a flat area there is really no need for a drum brake IMO. I live in Hampshire and have never needed one - as long as your front and rear brakes are good - ours are v-brakes and if the Magura's are working (??) they should be as good. My personal view is a lot of this drum brake stuff on tandems dates from the era before v-brakes and disc brakes, when standard brakes were either hard to adjust cantilevers or very weak calipers .. and in that era I can understand why you would need more umph..

Of course check the tandem club website .. they have tandems for sale and you could compare it with them ? https://www.tandem-club.org.uk/

The tandem club also have a great Facebook group and you don't need to be a paid up Tandem Club member to join the facebook group and ask for help there ... lots of very friendly polite people who can encourage and help you with tandems.. (umm... including me :-) ) https://www.facebook.com/groups/tandemclubuk/
Size wise we should be OK, I had been. Saving for a triban 540 but again the ones in my price range too far and my foot problem I think a little willing human power should increase my range.

Thank you for pointers
markjohnobrien

Post by markjohnobrien »

ClappedOut wrote: 21 Apr 2021, 10:05pm I have been offered a Orbit Tandem with Magura HS11 or HS33 on it. there is no drag brake and I have a stoker.

1) With the brakes mentioned is the bike 1990's and does it need a drag brake?
2) Are the Mud Guards alloy or chrome as brown stains in pictures and water marks- buff out or renew?
3) Handling I have a 700c columbus alle framed touring bike and worried about weight etc

thought it could be a good option as can't afford a bosch ebike, but a fit stoker for free and no clue as to worth- what should I be paying when we view it if suitable?
If the Maguras are in good condition, and working well, they will be outstanding brakes.
Raleigh Randonneur 708 (Magura hydraulic brakes); Blue Raleigh Randonneur 708 dynamo; Pearson Compass 631 tourer; Dawes One Down 631 dynamo winter bike;Raleigh Travelogue 708 tourer dynamo; Kona Sutra; Trek 920 disc Sram Force.
audaxjk

Post by audaxjk »

We’ve had 3 tandems over the years, a Thorn Kiddyback, Dawes Galaxy & Orbit Libra.
We’ve never had the need to use an auxiliary brake (only the Galaxy has one) despite doing descents in the Lakes & Dales. We had cantilevers on the Thorn & Dawes, and if I remember correctly V brakes on the Orbit.
My favourite tandem to ride was always the Thorn. It was the most comfortable & supple, I think mostly because it was steel tubed unlike the other two (they’re aluminium).
As long as the Orbit you’re looking at runs well mechanically, it shouldn’t cost you much to run & I don’t think you’ll get any less enjoyment out of it compared to a Galaxy. My kids loved riding them when younger.
One last point worth considering, you are unlikely to loose any money on this investment as at this end of the market, you will pretty much get your money back when you sell. I’ve never lost money on one when selling them on! Consider it a cost neutral exercise in the long term.
ClappedOut

Post by ClappedOut »

audaxjk wrote: 22 Apr 2021, 8:02am We’ve had 3 tandems over the years, a Thorn Kiddyback, Dawes Galaxy & Orbit Libra.
We’ve never had the need to use an auxiliary brake (only the Galaxy has one) despite doing descents in the Lakes & Dales. We had cantilevers on the Thorn & Dawes, and if I remember correctly V brakes on the Orbit.
My favourite tandem to ride was always the Thorn. It was the most comfortable & supple, I think mostly because it was steel tubed unlike the other two (they’re aluminium).
As long as the Orbit you’re looking at runs well mechanically, it shouldn’t cost you much to run & I don’t think you’ll get any less enjoyment out of it compared to a Galaxy. My kids loved riding them when younger.
One last point worth considering, you are unlikely to loose any money on this investment as at this end of the market, you will pretty much get your money back when you sell. I’ve never lost money on one when selling them on! Consider it a cost neutral exercise in the long term.
:D thank you all for the reassurance, I'm fully expecting maintainance and the usual costs tyres etc and of keeping on top of things, my part of the world seeing tandems are pretty rare so little opportunities to walk up to a parked one and ask questions.

Chatting with the lady they seem genuine and I have explained my reasons for wanting a tandem, can use works service van to collect it so looking forward to it if as described to me.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

I have a Thorn childback tandem & pull a trailer with it, and do not have a drag brake.

Mostly, it gets used for errands, taking Littlest (who is almost too big for it!) to music lessons, but it has also gone touring, with proper hills in the way. I've stopped a few times on long descents to give the brakes a rest, so from that perspective, I could have used an additional brake. But out of 10 or 11 years of usage, I'm not sure it would be worth the time and effort for few times. I think it's okay to just stop & enjoy the scenery. I've done the same on a loaded tourer on a long descent.

If I were touring a lot with the tandem, I would probably add a brake.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
peetee

Post by peetee »

I can’t comment from the perspective of a tandem rider but as the owner of a straight bar bike with Magura HS33 brakes I can vouch for the excellent power they can produce. The only issue I have had with mine is that they don’t have a particularly light action so heavy and/or prolonged braking is rather hard work on the hands.
The older I get the more I’m inclined to act my shoe size, not my age.
markjohnobrien

Post by markjohnobrien »

peetee wrote: 22 Apr 2021, 9:33am I can’t comment from the perspective of a tandem rider but as the owner of a straight bar bike with Magura HS33 brakes I can vouch for the excellent power they can produce. The only issue I have had with mine is that they don’t have a particularly light action so heavy and/or prolonged braking is rather hard work on the hands.
Better than not stopping: I’ve got both flat bar and drop bar Maguras and they are fantastic.
Raleigh Randonneur 708 (Magura hydraulic brakes); Blue Raleigh Randonneur 708 dynamo; Pearson Compass 631 tourer; Dawes One Down 631 dynamo winter bike;Raleigh Travelogue 708 tourer dynamo; Kona Sutra; Trek 920 disc Sram Force.
horizon

Post by horizon »

peetee wrote: 22 Apr 2021, 9:33am ... prolonged braking is rather hard work on the hands.
I think that is as good a reason as any for the third brake - it does help in this respect. A drag brake also acts as a handbrake which is rather useful!
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher