What do worn SPD-SL cleats feel like ?

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
brucelee

What do worn SPD-SL cleats feel like ?

Post by brucelee »

One of my feet has been feeling like it is unsupported on the outside (sort of rolling outwards) for a while and yesterday I got in a big torque dig and it got worse. Everything seems to be in tact and cleats are on tight. They are kinda high millage. What sort of millage can I expect from these cleats and what symptoms do they exhibit when they are worn ?
Cheers,
Bruce.
TrevA

Re: What do worn SPD-SL cleats feel like ?

Post by TrevA »

If they are worn from walking on them, then the coloured bits (yellow, red or blue) start to disintegrate. I find that I wear my left cleats quicker than my right as I put my left foot down at junctions. You could also look at the front and rear lip of the cleat, the bit that contacts the pedal, to see if one cleat is thinner than the other.
Sherwood CC and Notts CTC.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
brucelee

Post by brucelee »

I think this may have to do with the shoes, I just switch form winter to summer ones and the winter ones are much stiffer.
TheBomber

Post by TheBomber »

I don’t mean this in a patronising way - but have you checked the instructions? I’ve certainly seen diagrams of the cleats before that indicate the sort of wear level that means they should be replaced, and I’m fairly sure it was Shimano literature. I used to find that the plastic insert in the pedal wore faster than the cleat, but mine were first generation SLs so not sure if that remained an issue with all models.
brucelee

Post by brucelee »

TheBomber wrote: 24 Apr 2021, 6:25pm I don’t mean this in a patronising way - but have you checked the instructions? I’ve certainly seen diagrams of the cleats before that indicate the sort of wear level that means they should be replaced, and I’m fairly sure it was Shimano literature. I used to find that the plastic insert in the pedal wore faster than the cleat, but mine were first generation SLs so not sure if that remained an issue with all models.
Can't recall ever seeing any destructions with the cleats I have, they all came with shoes. Can't find anything in shimano tec docs either. Current SPD/SL cleats bear down onto a metal insert in the pedal. Gonna try swapping left/right, see if I can feel the difference..
TrevA

Post by TrevA »

It might be worth buying a new set of cleats anyway. You can then compare your worn ones to the new ones, to see what they should look like. Then you’ve got a new pair if you do decide to swap them out. They are only about £15 a pair if you shop around.
Sherwood CC and Notts CTC.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
TheBomber

Post by TheBomber »

Worn cleats diagram for random SL pedal:

https://si.shimano.com/api/publish/stor ... 03-ENG.pdf
brucelee

Post by brucelee »

TheBomber wrote: 25 Apr 2021, 9:06pm Worn cleats diagram for random SL pedal:

This is why I never read the destructions. The sheet says replace when the coloured portions become worn. But these seem to become worn from walking and have nothing to do with the operation of the cleat.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

brucelee wrote: 26 Apr 2021, 9:36am
TheBomber wrote: 25 Apr 2021, 9:06pm Worn cleats diagram for random SL pedal:

This is why I never read the destructions. The sheet says replace when the coloured portions become worn. But these seem to become worn from walking and have nothing to do with the operation of the cleat.
There are different sorts of wear. The wear that affects the operation of the cleat will show itself by it becoming increasingly difficult to get your foot out. I thought from what you were describing they'd been walked on so much they were chinned.
brucelee

Post by brucelee »

thirdcrank wrote: 26 Apr 2021, 10:50am There are different sorts of wear. The wear that affects the operation of the cleat will show itself by it becoming increasingly difficult to get your foot out. I thought from what you were describing they'd been walked on so much they were chinned.
IMG_20210426_111223.jpg
TheBomber

Post by TheBomber »

They look worn enough to at least follow TrevA's suggestion buy a new pair to try. I take it the wear plate on the pedal is fine?

Here's a few shots of a lightly used pair. Blue ones would match your shoes too :wink:
IMG_1160.JPG
Attachments
IMG_1158.JPG
IMG_1159.JPG
brucelee

Post by brucelee »

TheBomber wrote: 27 Apr 2021, 9:40am Blue ones would match your shoes too
I'm new to cleats, just watched a video about the different colours, wasn't what I thought. Will give the blue ones a try.
brucelee

Post by brucelee »

Woah
IMG_20210501_140253.jpg