Re-aligning bent front forks

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
dvenman

Re-aligning bent front forks

Post by dvenman »

I'm sorta slowly rebuilding a Peugeot Rotary bike, and have discovered that the front forks are out of alignment. One is more forward than the other, looked at from above.

Is there a way to realign? Or anyone know of anyone within a reasonable distance of Marlborough who could realign? Local bike shop didn't want to know.
hayers

Re: Re-aligning bent front forks

Post by hayers »

Assuming Malborough Wilts Argos Racing Cycles in Bristol is probably a good bet.
rogerzilla

Post by rogerzilla »

Assuming they are steel, I have done a few over the years. You can clamp them in a vice (make a split round clamp from a block of wood first, to protect them) and pull one blade, or use less sophisticated techniques. I once stuck the dropouts in a woodpile and twisted at the crown. That worked well. Go gently and keep checking, so you don't over-correct and need to bend them back.
peetee

Post by peetee »

I don’t know for sure that this comment is pertinent but I would be very wary of Peugeot road bikes with Carbolite 103 tubing. Each fork blade is formed from a steel sheet that is cut to shape, rolled to form a tube and welded. I have bent these blades Just by trying to remove a stem. They can give many years of service but such a design could be severely weakened if bent and then bent back again. Add in a few years of corrosion (often internal) and a home repair without professional input would be very unwise.
The older I get the more I’m inclined to act my shoe size, not my age.