Under BB cable guide - high rise?

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Sweep

Under BB cable guide - high rise?

Post by Sweep »

Did a build recently with an old 90s hybrid which had been a triple - though building up to a triple (but 9 at the back rather than 7) I did notice that the existing cable guide looked a bit odd - wider than I would have expected.
So as you do I started pondering BB cable guides, which I have never bothered about before.
And it seems that there is quite a variety.
Like this:
https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/FSPXMRBBC ... able-guide

What's the "high-rise" all about/for?
Sweep
gregoryoftours

Re: Under BB cable guide - high rise?

Post by gregoryoftours »

I can only imagine it's to provide clearance for unusually shaped chainstays, or kickstand mounting plates etc.
Screenshot_2021-04-24-19-32-15-838_com.ebay.mobile.png
peetee

Post by peetee »

Raising one of the cable guide slots also allows the gear cables to be routed from the handlebar run to the opposite side of the frame to ease tight bends in this often cramped area. From the frame stops the inner cables run rearward and cross over to the correct side under the down tube. Raising one guide slots stops the cables rubbing together.
The older I get the more I’m inclined to act my shoe size, not my age.
horizon

Post by horizon »

Sweep wrote: 24 Apr 2021, 3:15pm
Sweep: the guides are £1.99 and £2.99 respectively. Would you do us all a favour by buying both and checking them out (other replies on here notwithstanding)? I too have got a couple of builds in progress and would like to know.

When I get round to that part of the build, I'm very happy to do the same.

And a big thanks for drawing this to our attention. I wonder if retailers know that actually telling us something about the products they sell might make it more likely that we will buy from them now and in the future. After all, it might even give them a USP in a very crowded field.
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
fastpedaller

Post by fastpedaller »

horizon wrote: 28 Apr 2021, 12:03pm I wonder if retailers know that actually telling us something about the products they sell might make it more likely that we will buy from them now and in the future. After all, it might even give them a USP in a very crowded field.
Indeed - I read so often (especially PX) things such as "this company has a marvellous history dating back half a century of producing bikes (or parts) and we are continuing this with these parts etc. etc" ad nauseum, but very little real product info (eg pertinent sizes) is offerred!
gregoryoftours

Post by gregoryoftours »

fastpedaller wrote: 29 Apr 2021, 9:12pm
Indeed - I read so often (especially PX) things such as "this company has a marvellous history dating back half a century of producing bikes (or parts) and we are continuing this with these parts etc. etc" ad nauseum, but very little real product info (eg pertinent sizes) is offerred!
Read as 'we have bought out this struggling company and will proceed to stick the name on any random crap, good or bad'
fastpedaller

Post by fastpedaller »

gregoryoftours wrote: 29 Apr 2021, 9:26pm
Read as 'we have bought out this struggling company and will proceed to stick the name on any random crap, good or bad'
And it had to be said - some are good. I am patriotic but have to say that I think most of the frames (from PX and others who get them made in the Far East) are far better than the frames mass-produced here in the UK during the 80's, also sold using the name of the previous quality hand-built products
gregoryoftours

Post by gregoryoftours »

fastpedaller wrote: 29 Apr 2021, 9:37pm
gregoryoftours wrote: 29 Apr 2021, 9:26pm
And it had to be said - some are good. I am patriotic but have to say that I think most of the frames (from PX and others who get them made in the Far East) are far better than the frames mass-produced here in the UK during the 80's, also sold using the name of the previous quality hand-built products
Oh yes, for sure they still sell plenty of good stuff, I just wish that they wouldn't use classic old brand names that they've bought to sell stuff that has little to nothing in common with the heritage of the brands. It makes good economic sense but I find it kind of disrespectful and cynical.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

horizon wrote: 28 Apr 2021, 12:03pm
Sweep wrote: 24 Apr 2021, 3:15pm
Sweep: the guides are £1.99 and £2.99 respectively. Would you do us all a favour by buying both and checking them out (other replies on here notwithstanding)? I too have got a couple of builds in progress and would like to know.

When I get round to that part of the build, I'm very happy to do the same.

And a big thanks for drawing this to our attention. I wonder if retailers know that actually telling us something about the products they sell might make it more likely that we will buy from them now and in the future. After all, it might even give them a USP in a very crowded field.
don't need at the mo so am afraid won't be able to help horizon.
PlanetX, despite selling some useful stuff, are often very poor on info.
I've seen them trying to sell rim tape in the past without saying how wide it was.
Sweep