Leatherman?

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
ANTONISH

Re: Leatherman?

Post by ANTONISH »

thirdcrank wrote: 1 May 2021, 5:06pm A big advantage of having one with a ruler is you can measure your blade.
I'm finding that a bit tricky. However I find the blade is about 3.25 inches from the point at which the blade pivots to it's tip.
The cutting edge is about 2.75 inches and of course it locks which I suppose is technically illegal.
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

I have a Leatherman purchased about a quarter of a century ago. I don't carry it day-to-day, but it goes with me whenever we go touring, and does duty as a bread knife, chopping veg, needle-nose pliers, screwdriver, small scissors, etc.
I can see how that works - that's pretty much how I use it. My EDC *cycling tool kit is based around a v. similar tool. It's cool - use it one way and it's pointy like a screwdriver, use it the other and it's got enough leverage for all but the toughest nut.
* EDC as every US marine know, stands for Every Dimwit Carries... :wink:
'Engineer' bit driver, made in Japan
'Engineer' bit driver, made in Japan
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
bikepacker

Post by bikepacker »

Jdsk wrote: 1 May 2021, 1:50pm
bikepacker wrote: 1 May 2021, 11:35amThe pliers will cut brake and gear cables, which is a help when rectifying broken ones.
Yes. And I'd recommend a few experiments before they're needed in anger.

Jonathan
I've been carrying it for about 16 years and used it many time to cut cables, mostly to assist other cyclists with cable fitting and removal.
There is your way. There is my way. But there is no "the way".
Sid Aluminium

Post by Sid Aluminium »

ANTONISH wrote: 1 May 2021, 4:43pmI seem to remember a past thread on this topic - apparently, it's not legal to carry as it's classed as a lock knife.
Leatherman (and other multitool makers) offer models without blades: the Style PS and the Knifeless Rebar. Of course, then you have to pack a My First Victorinox to spread jam.

Buried deep among little box and hex wrenches in a couple of my old bicycle-specific multitools (a Topeak Alien and a Park MTB-3) are stubby blades. That's a bit unexpected and I bet you could carry and use the tools for decades without being aware the blades were even there. I just checked and while the Park is a simple slip joint, on the Topeak one, the 33mm long blade locks in place. (Not to worry - I live in Texas, where you can legally carry a Fairbairn-Sykes.)
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

it's not legal to carry as it's classed as a lock knife.
The trick, my dear Potter, is not to bump into the edge of the envelope...
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
chris_suffolk

Post by chris_suffolk »

simonineaston wrote: 1 May 2021, 7:02pm
it's not legal to carry as it's classed as a lock knife.
The trick, my dear Potter, is not to bump into the edge of the envelope...
You can legally carry a lock knife, so long as you can demonstrate a requirement for having it. So, if you have a bike tool and you are cycling, it would be perfectly legal. Carry it for a walk to the shops, and it wouldn't be.
scottg

Post by scottg »

simonineaston wrote: 1 May 2021, 6:17pm My EDC *cycling tool kit is based around a v. similar tool. It's cool - use it one way and it's pointy like a screwdriver, use it the other and it's got enough leverage for all but the toughest nut.
* EDC as every US marine know, stands for Every Dimwit Carries... :wink: 41bxJ8D-RNL._AC_.jpg
Mineral Designs make a variant of that tool.
Just used to snug up the hitch rack.

https://www.mineralbikes.com/shop/mini-bar-multi-tool
+++++++++++++++++++++++++
Deutsche Luftschiffahrts-AG
+++++++++++++++++++++++++
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

I've extended the versitality of the driver bar by buying a set of 1/4" drive compact sockets, which are obligingly light! I only need to carry two of the range, for the mudguard stays and the rear axle nuts. The whole set was about £12
small, light sockets
small, light sockets
31Z3WYO3WSL._AC_.jpg (8.87 KiB) Viewed 283 times
S
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Talking of tool-sets and multitools etc ............ I see no reason the buy a tool that is no use to me. Most sets I see have too much stuff. Leatherman with a corkscrew for instance!

I bought my Topeak multitool and all it has are Allen keys and a cross-head screwdriver. That's all I need for the bikes .......... except a 15mm spanner for the rear wheel on Moulton, which is taken when I ride it.
Mick F. Cornwall