Leatherman?

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Nessie23

Re: Leatherman?

Post by Nessie23 »

I have Leatherman Wave, bought 20 years ago while in USA. A work colleague recommended it to me but I wobbled at the price until he convinced me it would be much more expensive in UK. When I returned to UK was a bit miffed that I could have bought identical tool for £10 less!!
Interesting thread, so decided to get my Wave out but it was not in usual place in Dad’s drawer. Cue, creeping panic when I could not find it in toolbox, shed etc., eventually found it in car glovebox....Relief. It is undoubtedly a quality item but I could not justify the £135ish to replace it if I ever lost it. In fact it is the most expensive tool I have ever bought with exception of Bahco socket set. We do become strangely attached to our tools....don’t we.
gregoryoftours

Post by gregoryoftours »

Mike_Ayling wrote: 27 Apr 2021, 8:00am
gregoryoftours wrote: 26 Apr 2021, 8:20pm I have a nice habit with leatherman tools. I had a skeletool cx (2nd hand) with a really good 154CM blade. Left on a bench by a canal. I bought a supertool second hand, snapped the file so leatherman sent me a wave as replacement. Couldn't find it as I was leaving for an airport. Found in my hand luggage on the way out of Spain, and it went straight in the bin. Buy cheap buy twice, unless you're a f*ckn idiot like me.
154 cm is about five feet!
154 mm is about six inches!

Mike
Ha ha, yes it was a monster! No, 154CM is a really good type of stainless steel.

I think that it's a much bigger price gap between US and UK leatherman prices in recent years.
cmxxx

Post by cmxxx »

I've got a leatherman but don't think it would be very useful on my bike rides.

I do carry a victorinox classic sd when out on my road bike. It's a tiny swiss army knife. Only 5.8cm long and not noticeable when in the seat pack with my other bits and pieces. Had it for years. Just found it online. The prices! I think I paid about a fiver for it.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Victorinox-Cla ... B0013VAHIA
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

I found a Wave in my dad's garden shed - he kept that one quiet! I have to say it's beautifully made. It's got a ton of tools on it, inc. a handful of genuinely useful items which are:
* a tiny removeable slot-head screwdriver 'specifically for glasses hinges - oh yes!!
* a propietary bit driver and set of bits (it uses a sort-of flattened quarter-inch bits)
* really sharp blades and the usual set of "Swiss-Army" type thingies like a cork-screw, little scissors (perfect for snipping cotton thread when sewing), excellent needle-nose pliers, ruler, the thingie for taking Boy Scouts out of horses hooves, yadda yadda yak yak.
I would never have bought one myself, but now I have one, I can say that I don't take it with me cycling (like many fellow forum readers, I have my own personally selected, light-weight, mini-kit of tools) mainly 'cos it weighs a ton. I do take it with me when out walking or car-camping and have found it really useful, again and again. Fully recommended!
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
Mike_Ayling

Post by Mike_Ayling »

I found a Wave on a walking track in a popular tourist area.
I took it to the local police station which was not manned so now its mine.

What's the interest in cork screws anyway, most wine these days come in screw top bottles and if you have a cellar of aged product you usually have an excellent corkscrew to go with it!0

Mike
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

most wine these days come in screw top bottles
That's certainly not true here in UK - a significant proportion of wine sold over here still has cork, or the modern plastic equivalent, stoppers. I misremembered anyway - my dad's Wave has no cork-screw.
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

I recommend familiarity with techniques for removing corks when you don't have a corkscrew.

Not quite up there in the survival list but well worth knowing.

Jonathan
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

Nessie23 wrote: 27 Apr 2021, 12:00pm We do become strangely attached to our tools....don’t we.
I have on a few of occasions done tours which involved flying & airports. I have on two of them gone through packing my panniers & checking them in, only to discover my mini Leatherman in my pocket when trying to sort things for security. Of course that's not allowed through, so what to do? Luckily in both cases, there was a place to buy a padded envelope & someplace I could post it home to myself. I probably almost paid for a new one between those two incidents :lol:

But since the second incident, I check my pockets & carry-on *before* checking in luggage (not that I have used any airports recently).
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Jdsk wrote: 29 Apr 2021, 8:51am I recommend familiarity with techniques for removing corks when you don't have a corkscrew.

Not quite up there in the survival list but well worth knowing.

Jonathan
This is good:

https://www.reddit.com/r/wine/comments/ ... &context=3
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

C’est magnifique, mais ce n’est pas le sabrage!

Jonathan
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

By repute that was a £2000 bottle :shock:
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

I've been trying to think of multitools that can be used to carry out all their intended functions properly ie as well as a single-function tool and whose functions are likely to be used on the same occasion. If sets eg socket sets and screwdrivers with replaceable bits, are excluded, then the maximum seems to be two functions - hammers seem to show this. So, a claw-hammer can be used to hit nails in and pull them out. A mattock is another example.
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

techniques for removing corks
I remember a chum bashing a wine bottle base-first against a plastered wall and being surprised and dleighted when the cork came out...
S
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

simonineaston wrote: 29 Apr 2021, 1:29pm
techniques for removing corks
I remember a chum bashing a wine bottle base-first against a plastered wall and being surprised and dleighted when the cork came out...
With or without a shoe?

: - )

Jonathan

PS: https://www.thewinedojo.com/how-to-remo ... corkscrew/
freiston

Post by freiston »

I feel like this has gone full circle - alternatively, instead of all those bottle-bashing methods to remove a cork by brute force, carry a multitool (such as a Leatherman Juice) that has a corkscrew tool. I have one and have used it several times to uncork bottles. Once, I came to the rescue of a party on a train with a rather nice bottle of Tempranillo and was given a glass gratis for my efforts :D
Disclaimer: Treat what I say with caution and if possible, wait for someone with more knowledge and experience to contribute. ;)