Replacing a Capreo cassette

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
drossall

Replacing a Capreo cassette

Post by drossall »

This thread was prompted by simonineaston's appeal for a Capreo 9-speed cassette. That's also what I have on my rather nice Tern Verge X18. I don't immediately need a replacement, but I haven't thought hard what I can do, and Simon's post has pointed out that the Capreo ones are now like hen's teeth.

Can you just fit an alternative Shimano one if you don't mind losing the 9 sprocket? I suppose I should try it really.

Simon has at least made me realise that I needed to buy the special Capreo cassette tool while I could still get that!
simonineaston

Re: Replacing a Capreo cassette

Post by simonineaston »

I've read that there is a company that alledgedly makes a Capreo-like casette, but I haven't been able to find the product...
screenshot
screenshot
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
brumster

Post by brumster »

simonineaston wrote: 27 Apr 2021, 6:54pm I've read that there is a company that alledgedly makes a Capreo-like casette, but I haven't been able to find the product...Screenshot 2021-04-27 at 18.53.14.png
I think Chosen hubs may be imported/ supplied by Raleigh parts & accessories
drossall

Post by drossall »

Do they make cassettes as well as hubs?
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

Actually looks like I've found a potential supplier, a bike shop in Germany. I have emailed the prop, one Rudi Mayer, to ask about supply & shipping, he being thoughtful enough to post a) the shop email address and b) the fact that he is away 'till early May. My thinking is that my current cassette will last 'till then...
I have also WhatsApp'ed the PM to tell him to sort the tax position and am looking forward to his reply reassuring me he'll have it sorted by 'tomo' ;-)
Depending on his reply, and how good his English (better than my German, obs) it might make sense to order more-than-one. I will post when have more info..
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

I'll add, for the benefit of any other folk using the rather excellent Capreo cassette, that similar ratios look to be fairly readily achievable with standard cassettes, especially as wider range options have become a la mode, since the Capreo 'groupset' was developed. The drawback is that the rear hub/driver * has to be swapped for a regular Shimano version and the chainring/s have to go up a few teeth to compensate for the loss of 9 & 10 tooth sprockets. See here to play around endlessly with sundry options.
* I don't know if it's possible to simply swap the Capreo driver for their regular larger version, allowing one to keep the perfectly OK hub/rim combo...
S
drossall

Post by drossall »

When you say the driver, do you mean the freehub? Do you happen to know which (9-speed, presumably) freehubs will fit? Presumably then you can't put a standard cassette on a Capreo freehub? I haven't tried yet.

I had contemplated going that way. The Verge has gears of 109" to 28, so I could afford to lose a bit. I raced 40 years ago on 102" top, and so did a lot of my contemporaries. That said, a 12T top would take me down to 82" top, which might be a bit far. As you say, larger rings might compensate a bit.

Definitely interested if your German supplier has a cassette that you don't need.
UpWrong

Post by UpWrong »

ICE used to sell 20" wheel recumbent trikes with the Chosen capreo hubs and cassettes. Give them a call.
drossall

Post by drossall »

Sadly they have sold out. I think they thought I was an ICE customer as they have given me advice on replacement wheels :oops:
scottg

Post by scottg »

simonineaston wrote: 27 Apr 2021, 6:54pm I've read that there is a company that alledgedly makes a Capreo-like casette, but I haven't been able to find the product...Screenshot 2021-04-27 at 18.53.14.png
Sunrace makes a Capreo type cassette.
Out of stock at Soma aka Merry Sales (bike parts wholesaler in USA)

https://www.somafabshop.com/shop/produc ... tegory=969
+++++++++++++++++++++++++
Deutsche Luftschiffahrts-AG
+++++++++++++++++++++++++
drossall

Post by drossall »

Thanks. Available here but 10-speed and a ridiculous price compared to your US link. I for one need 9-speed. Will keep looking.

Edit - and not in stock at present either, unfortunately.
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

When you say the driver, do you mean the freehub? Do you happen to know which (9-speed, presumably) freehubs will fit? Presumably then you can't put a standard cassette on a Capreo freehub? I haven't tried yet.
Yes, I do indeed mean the freehub (I use 'driver' giving away my age, as the driver is what you mount sprockets on if you have a Sturmey Archer hub ;-) ) The Capreo freehub is apparently a normal Shimano freehub but with a smaller diameter, the standard being too fat to accomodate the smaller cogs, thus the Capreo and 'normal' Shimano cassettes are not interchangable :-( The Capreo cassette has to go with a Capreo freehub. What I don't know is if you can remove a Capreo freehub from one's perfectly sound Shimano hubed wheel and replace it with a standard freehub...
S
drossall

Post by drossall »

Just to remark that Sheldon has a really useful description of the Capreo cassette and sprocket construction. If, for example, your large sprockets were the main ones worn, you could replace them with other Shimano ones. But, most likely, enough smaller sprockets are worn to make this impossible.
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

I have seen the smaller cogs (9, 10 & 11) available separately.
S
drossall

Post by drossall »

I've seen the 9 on eBay (£20 for one cog!) but not the others.