Shimano Rapidfire levers with Ultegra derailleur

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
x70

Shimano Rapidfire levers with Ultegra derailleur

Post by x70 »

Hello,
just bought a new road bike and want to modify my old one with straight handlebars and new shift / brake levers (currently using an old Ultegra STI groupset), but I'd like to avoid changing anything in the drivetrain. Do you know if Rapidfire type (e.g. Tiagra SL-4700 2x10), which you can easily clamp on the handlebars (MTB stile), can work with old Ultegra 2x10? Or the indexing is completely different and can only be used with the right derailleur (Shimano(https://bike.shimano.com/en-EU/product/ ... -4700.html) state they are compatible with RD-4700)? I am assuming they are not compatible, but wanted to double check if anyone has tried.
If not possible, what alternatives do I have, when reusing the current drivetrain without STI levers? Only friction type of levers (need to find some that i can install on the handlebar)?
Many thanks in advance for sharing your thoughts.
Cheers,
Teo
ElCani

Re: Shimano Rapidfire levers with Ultegra derailleur

Post by ElCani »

Which model of Ultegra do you have? Assuming it’s one of the 10 speed versions, the 4700 shifters will not work, at least not without a shift mate device to alter the cable pull per click. You could buy a modern Tiagra (or higher) rear mech, which would work with the current cassette and chain, but I’m not sure whether the 4700 LH shifter will work the old front mech.

There are older 10 speed flat bar levers (Tiagra 4600, Ultegra 6600 and 6700) which you could try to find second hand.
gregoryoftours

Post by gregoryoftours »

I think that any 10 speed Shimano road flat bar shifters will work except for 4700. It's the one series that had a different pull ratio to other 10 speed road groups for some reason.
x70

Post by x70 »

Thank you both for the reply.
It's a Ultegra 6600 drivetrain, 2x10.
Based on your advice, I was able to identify the SL-R700 (link to Shimano: https://si.shimano.com/api/publish/stor ... 01-ENG.pdf) as the only flat bar levers that would work. I'll try to find them, otherwise i guess i will have to change at least the RD.
Many thanks again, it really helped me.
Cheers,
Teo
cyclop

Post by cyclop »

If all 10spd shimano cassettes are the same width (I,m assuming)doesn,t it follow that any 10spd shimano shifter,sti or rapidfire or even downtube levers would work?Ditto,9spd or any other speed.
MartinC

Post by MartinC »

cyclop wrote: 30 Apr 2021, 8:56am If all 10spd shimano cassettes are the same width (I,m assuming)doesn,t it follow that any 10spd shimano shifter,sti or rapidfire or even downtube levers would work?Ditto,9spd or any other speed.
Unfortunately not. 10 speed cassette spacing is the same but the geometry of road and mtb rear mechs is different so they need a different cable pull to operate correctly - so road and mtb shifters pull different amounts of cable. 11 speed and 4700 10 speed is different again and the amounts of cable pull required for road and mtb front mechs has always been different.

You'll also need some brake levers that pull the right amount of cable.
cyclop

Post by cyclop »

MartinC wrote: 30 Apr 2021, 10:55am
cyclop wrote: 30 Apr 2021, 8:56am If all 10spd shimano cassettes are the same width (I,m assuming)doesn,t it follow that any 10spd shimano shifter,sti or rapidfire or even downtube levers would work?Ditto,9spd or any other speed.
Unfortunately not. 10 speed cassette spacing is the same but the geometry of road and mtb rear mechs is different so they need a different cable pull to operate correctly - so road and mtb shifters pull different amounts of cable. 11 speed and 4700 10 speed is different again and the amounts of cable pull required for road and mtb front mechs has always been different.

You'll also need some brake levers that pull the right amount of cable.
Yep,I didn,t know that.
ElCani

Post by ElCani »

x70 wrote: 30 Apr 2021, 2:48am Thank you both for the reply.
It's a Ultegra 6600 drivetrain, 2x10.
Based on your advice, I was able to identify the SL-R700 (link to Shimano: https://si.shimano.com/api/publish/stor ... 01-ENG.pdf) as the only flat bar levers that would work. I'll try to find them, otherwise i guess i will have to change at least the RD.
Many thanks again, it really helped me.
Cheers,
Teo
These will also work, if you can find a pair.

https://bike.shimano.com/en-NZ/product/ ... -R460.html