Shimano new Linkglide groupset ?

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
zenitb

Shimano new Linkglide groupset ?

Post by zenitb »

Ok .. don't shoot the messenger on this one :-)

Shimano have introduced a new XT and Deore groupset specifically aimed at high wear high load environments .. like bikepacking and e-bikes.
Shimano Linkglide
Shimano Linkglide
Sounds they are 1x groupsets with new chain, derailleurs, and cassettes focused on long life at the expense of a heavier weight.. they say

"LINKGLIDE will be found on bikes for everyday riders who prefer comfort and low maintenance over the quicker shifting and lower weight that HYPERGLIDE+ offers."

"..Expect to see LINKGLIDE technology on e-bikes, leisure MTBs, commuter bikes, allterrain bikes, and bikepacking and adventure bikes starting in late summer."

An opportunity for a robust touring groupset ? See what you think ...

https://bike.shimano.com/en-US/informat ... -tech.html

(EDIT: Shimano promoting long life over function - I did check this wasn't an April fool's joke before I posted :-) )
Last edited by zenitb on 30 Apr 2021, 3:11pm, edited 1 time in total.
hamster

Re: Shimano Linkglide

Post by hamster »

zenitb wrote: 30 Apr 2021, 1:46pm (EDIT: Shimano promoting long life over function - I did check this wasn't an April fool's joke before I posted :-) )
:lol:
fastpedaller

Post by fastpedaller »

Will the sprockets fit HG cassettes or only the new micro type?
ETA - I've just read via the link, that they do indeed fit HG, but alas not in 7 or 8 speed. I suspect 7 of 8 speed sprockets (being thicker) last longer anyway!
zenitb

Post by zenitb »

fastpedaller wrote: 30 Apr 2021, 2:34pm Will the sprockets fit HG cassettes or only the new micro type?
ETA - I've just read via the link, that they do indeed fit HG, but alas not in 7 or 8 speed. I suspect 7 of 8 speed sprockets (being thicker) last longer anyway!
yes FP .. I suspect the background to all this is e-bikes snapping chains on 1x10 and 1x11 systems, Shimano trying to fix it by beefing up the chain and cogs, and then trying to lower their development costs by flogging it to a wider audience...

The Shimano page also hints that its really aimed at the bike manufacturers as an OEM product, rather than being sold as parts to the likes of us... time will tell though. Realistically though we do need kit designed for long term reliability - rather than Shimano's usual racer focus - so I am interested to see how this groupset (or partial groupset really) pans out ..
MartinC

Re: Shimano new Linkglide groupset ?

Post by MartinC »

Hmmm. So Mr S is telling us that the benefits of Hyperglide were ......... hype!
zenitb

Post by zenitb »

MartinC wrote: 30 Apr 2021, 3:32pm Hmmm. So Mr S is telling us that the benefits of Hyperglide were ......... hype!
LOL!!!!! Pretty much :-)
PT1029

Post by PT1029 »

The shimano link says the Linkglide 10/11s groupsets are not compatable with existing 10/11s groupsets.
I wonder how many variants of Shimano indexing/cable pull are now available....?!
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

I recall with wry amusement an old motto of the Shimano company, "Tomorrow's Dreams Today"...
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
Chris Jeggo

Post by Chris Jeggo »

From the Shimano hyperlink above: "The new LINKGLIDE components ..... are not cross-compatible due to different gear pitches."

What are "gear pitches"? Do Shimano definitely mean cable pull?
PT1029 wrote: 30 Apr 2021, 8:35pm The shimano link says the Linkglide 10/11s groupsets are not compatable with existing 10/11s groupsets.
I wonder how many variants of Shimano indexing/cable pull are now available....?!
Chris
MartinC

Post by MartinC »

PT1029 wrote: 30 Apr 2021, 8:35pm The shimano link says the Linkglide 10/11s groupsets are not compatable with existing 10/11s groupsets.
More than variants of Covid19. Lockdown is the only answer 'til we find a vaccine.
MikeDee

Post by MikeDee »

Chris Jeggo wrote:From the Shimano hyperlink above: "The new LINKGLIDE components ..... are not cross-compatible due to different gear pitches."

What are "gear pitches"? Do Shimano definitely mean cable pull?
Chris
Shimano didn't write that. I think whomever wrote that article meant the cog spacing is different.
rjb

Post by rjb »

Perhaps the big S are trying to push their 10mm pitch chain again after it fell by the wayside last time.
http://velobase.com/ViewGroup.aspx?Grou ... f5b8d8a1ca
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
Chris Jeggo

Post by Chris Jeggo »

rjb wrote: 1 May 2021, 4:04pm Perhaps the big S are trying to push their 10mm pitch chain again after it fell by the wayside last time.
http://velobase.com/ViewGroup.aspx?Grou ... f5b8d8a1ca
No, it's standard chain pitch, the Shimano webpage hyperlinked above states "Existing 11-speed Shimano chains are compatible with LINKGLIDE drivetrains."

The pitch of the sprockets across the cassette could be greater, because the webpage states "The teeth of LINKGLIDE cassettes have been honed with a new shape to reduce wear and tear. The teeth feature a more robust and thicker construction, to prevent wear in the areas that sees the most degradation over time. LINKGLIDE cassette teeth also have a new top shape profile for smooth and seamless shifting in both directions." But Shimano only state that the teeth are thicker. Making the whole sprocket thicker would just add to the chain misalignment problems of 1x11 systems.

My guess is that PT1029 is right - they have changed the cable pull (perhaps because they have changed the sprocket gates and ramps) so that existing mechs and shifters cannot be used. But why call it "gear pitch"?
markjohnobrien

Post by markjohnobrien »

Shame there is no compatibility with existing group sets but not a surprise.
Raleigh Randonneur 708 (Magura hydraulic brakes); Blue Raleigh Randonneur 708 dynamo; Pearson Compass 631 tourer; Dawes One Down 631 dynamo winter bike;Raleigh Travelogue 708 tourer dynamo; Kona Sutra; Trek 920 disc Sram Force.
thelawnet

Post by thelawnet »

Seems to be an e-mtb only product to rival SRAM's horribly overpriced one that I can't be bothered to lookup the name of. Can't see anyone fitting it aftermarket, much heavier than an old 3x system and all new RD & shifters.