Showerproofing a cotton jacket

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
thirdcrank

Showerproofing a cotton jacket

Post by thirdcrank »

I have a cotton jacket which is about thirty years old. It's an imitation combat jacket. I wear it for jobs such as what I rather grandiosely refer to as gardening. I'd like to showerproof it. I'm not talking about waterproof as I slope off inside if it starts to rain properly. I'm assuming there's something I can mix in a bucket to soak the garment.

I thought this general question - perhaps more usually aimed at tents - had come up before but I cannot find it. I've looked at ads online and a lot seem to be aimed at refreshing things like Goretex. This is definitely cotton and if it ever had any proofing, which I doubt, it's long gone.
Jamesh

Re: Showerproofing a cotton jacket

Post by Jamesh »

Look at nikwax cotton proofing.

Cheers James
ClappedOut

Post by ClappedOut »

Fabsil on an awning
gaz

Post by gaz »

I'd have said Fabsil, which I've recently applied to my Super Cs. Largely on the grounds that they're over thirty years old, have never been reproofed and the tin of Fabsil was of a similar age.

The weather has remained dry and I don't really know whether they needed it or not. It remains untested.

There was a bottle of NikWax next to the tin of Fabsil. I might try that next time.
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
rotavator

Post by rotavator »

I wouldn't bother with Nikwax. I used it on an old eVent hiking jacket and it made no improvement whatsoever so I wasted £9.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

I'd also use Fabsil, preceded by a good wash.

Jonathan
PH

Post by PH »

For cotton that's never been treated before, or so long ago the original coating has disappeared, I'd use a solid wax rather than a wash in treatment. Plenty of choice, just google "fabric wax" I have a tin of something from an equestrian supplier, but the label has worn away, I'd be surprised if there was much variation between them. The wash in DWR coatings rely on there being some residual coating for it to adhere to, with Gore-Tex type fabrics there's a compromise to strike between clean and waterproof. With the type you rub in with a cloth or come in a bar you can see if it's stuck or not.
There's also the home made route, using some form of silicon, I haven't made any, but I know it's worked for those who have, you'll have to google the instructions. I think that's what used to be used on cotton marquees, I've applied it often enough with a bucket and mop, but wasn't paying much attention to the contents.
markjohnobrien

Post by markjohnobrien »

Jamesh wrote: 1 May 2021, 11:22am Look at nikwax cotton proofing.

Cheers James
Nikwax TX direct wash in for me.
Raleigh Randonneur 708 (Magura hydraulic brakes); Blue Raleigh Randonneur 708 dynamo; Pearson Compass 631 tourer; Dawes One Down 631 dynamo winter bike;Raleigh Travelogue 708 tourer dynamo; Kona Sutra; Trek 920 disc Sram Force.
ANTONISH

Post by ANTONISH »

I've found that Nikwax works. I used the Nikwax prewash and then the Nikwax proofing ( as recommended ).
markjohnobrien

Post by markjohnobrien »

ANTONISH wrote: 1 May 2021, 4:35pm I've found that Nikwax works. I used the Nikwax prewash and then the Nikwax proofing ( as recommended ).
That’s my understanding as well: I use both.
Raleigh Randonneur 708 (Magura hydraulic brakes); Blue Raleigh Randonneur 708 dynamo; Pearson Compass 631 tourer; Dawes One Down 631 dynamo winter bike;Raleigh Travelogue 708 tourer dynamo; Kona Sutra; Trek 920 disc Sram Force.
mattsccm

Post by mattsccm »

Thompsons Waterseal as designed for houses. (Wonder if Screwfix do their own version?)
Way cheaper per litre although if you have to buy a dirty great can of it it may not be overall. :D I do some canvas gaiters with it. Rain rolls off.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Thanks to everybody for giving me something to think about

I have the remains of a tin of Thompson's sealant from some years ago - if it's not dried out. I worked very well when I bought it, but it's the black stuff for a roof so not for a jacket. It did show their stuff works. We've lived here since 1975 and some of my leftover tins were left by the chap who sold us the houise.
mattsccm

Post by mattsccm »

Stuff I used looked like water and smelled awful . Left a finsh that beaded water.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

mattsccm wrote: 2 May 2021, 8:01am Stuff I used looked like water and smelled awful . Left a finsh that beaded water.
Yes. I was having a dig at myself for all the part-used cans of this-and-that in the garage - Waxoyl is another. The Thompson's stuff worked well on the roof and I can imagine the version you are recommending would be good in its own way. The only downside might be your 'dirty great can' comment as I no longer have the optimism to think it it may come in later.
colin54

Post by colin54 »

I had a google and this video came up, I don't know if you've seen it . The poster rubs the cotton garment with a wax tea light & then warms it it up with a hair drier so the wax impregnates the fabric. Worth a try on the shoulders perhaps ?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vs8_n_pLjMo
Nu-Fogey