ShImano recall

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
brucelee

105 Hollowtech chainsets hollow ?

Post by brucelee »

Managed to crack a crank arm, question is are 105 crank arms made like the ultegra ones or are they solid ?
IMG_20210501_140253.jpg
EuropeanBob

Re: 105 Hollowtech chainsets hollow ?

Post by EuropeanBob »

The 105 R7000 series certainly is...

https://bike.shimano.com/en-EU/technolo ... wtech.html
brucelee

Post by brucelee »

I don't get this, the inner plate is definitely attached somehow and has split from main body. If this has happened, it's going to happen again with the replacement. Anyone know of compatible cranks that are solid metal ?
TheBomber

Post by TheBomber »

My understanding of Hollowtech, other than Dura Ace, was that the cranks were formed around a hollow tube. Presumably it is that tube that is now holding the crank together? Assuming that you only have the strength of a human, they’ve never been crashed or otherwise abused, then I think you should be talking to your dealer or maybe Madison. Cranks are sometimes the subject of safety recalls so Madison should at least be made aware of this failure.

While I can understand you not wanting the same again, avoiding all hollow cranks due to this failure may not be sensible. It’s not as if there haven’t been issues with various solid cranks over the decades
PT1029

Post by PT1029 »

Dura Ace and Ultega cranks are 2 "C" section bits of metal bonded together. Sometimes this bonding fails (a friend alerted me to this only this week):
https://www.bikeradar.com/features/shim ... k-failure/

In some of the other links that came up when I searched, 1 said that the fractures don't occure on 105 as they are solid - double check this before buying as I only read it quickly!

Check cranks refularly for cracks.
peetee

Post by peetee »

It’s not unusual:

https://youtu.be/Rj__lexd_BI
The older I get the more I’m inclined to act my shoe size, not my age.
brucelee

Post by brucelee »

Won't say I'm super human but I'm a very powerful rider and do tend to break things. In addition, I got caught on a busy roundabout a couple of weeks ago and basically had to do a track start in a a very big gear. This is going to happen again to me if I use these, It's not just bad luck. I'll do the warranty replacement and sell the spider to some 50Kg mountain goat. Problem is, I really like the chain rings. The first time in my life I've not immediately bent them and it feels good. It looks like the 105 stuff is the same. I looked up the weights of the chainsets :
r7000 713.4 (50-34T) 742.6 (52-36T) 757.8 (53-39T)
r8000 690 (53-39T) 681 (52-36T) 674 (50-34T) 668 (46-36T)
60g difference, could just be heavier chain rings ?
Tiagra look like their still solid (No weight specified on the shimano site). Anyone got a 4700 they could have a look at ? I have a 4603 triple and it's definitely solid. Anyone know if the ultegra chain rings will fit a 4700 ?
Cheers,
Bruce.
thelawnet

Post by thelawnet »

The Ultegra & Dura-Ace are known to have a serious design fault which causes frequent fracture. The 105 is also hollow bonded but the bonding is in a different place and failures do not occur.

The non-series chainset FC-RS510 is solid.

So:

RS510 - solid, slightly heavier
105 - hollow/lighter, does not fall apart
Ultegra/Dura-Ace - also hollow slightly lighter still, tries to murder you.

It appears that Ultegra/D-A fail due to a combination of weather conditions/time, not any superhuman rider strength. Therefore they are probably quite ok for pro riders, but bad news for people who just want a bike to ride.
MartinC

Post by MartinC »

thelawnet wrote: 5 May 2021, 5:10am ..........Therefore they are probably quite ok for pro riders, but bad news for people who just want a bike to ride.
Unfortunately this is applies across the board - it's what the manufacturers want to sell and people want to buy.
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

I remember hearing a commentator describe modern racing cyclists as "razor-shaved streaks of walnut brown muscle, whizzing about on furiously clicking pairs of wheels connected by 'specially stiffened air..." re Shimano's brilliantly ambiguous HollowTech moniker, it doesn't sound like he was far wrong!!
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
rogerzilla

Post by rogerzilla »

MartinC wrote: 5 May 2021, 11:02am
thelawnet wrote: 5 May 2021, 5:10am ..........Therefore they are probably quite ok for pro riders, but bad news for people who just want a bike to ride.
Unfortunately this is applies across the board - it's what the manufacturers want to sell and people want to buy.
The irony being that most DA is probably sold to older, richer men whose racing days are long gone. As the guy who runs the Disraeli Gears website says, the DA GS mech was when they finally admitted this fact.
thelawnet

Post by thelawnet »

rogerzilla wrote: 5 May 2021, 4:00pm
MartinC wrote: 5 May 2021, 11:02am
The irony being that most DA is probably sold to older, richer men whose racing days are long gone. As the guy who runs the Disraeli Gears website says, the DA GS mech was when they finally admitted this fact.
Not the DA GS mech, but the 7700-GS specifically.

Unlike some later DA GS mechs, which allow bigger cassettes, which are quite popular with the pros now, this one was designed only to allow the granny gear on the front - a 53/39/30 rather than a 53/39
rogerzilla

Post by rogerzilla »

The pros have gone soft too. Can't race up Alpe d'Huez in 42 x 21? Take up golf, you lightweight :D
thelawnet

Post by thelawnet »

thelawnet wrote: 5 May 2021, 5:10am The Ultegra & Dura-Ace are known to have a serious design fault which causes frequent fracture. The 105 is also hollow bonded but the bonding is in a different place and failures do not occur.

The non-series chainset FC-RS510 is solid.

So:

RS510 - solid, slightly heavier
105 - hollow/lighter, does not fall apart
Ultegra/Dura-Ace - also hollow slightly lighter still, tries to murder you.

It appears that Ultegra/D-A fail due to a combination of weather conditions/time, not any superhuman rider strength. Therefore they are probably quite ok for pro riders, but bad news for people who just want a bike to ride.

Shimano have finally accepted limited responsibility for these products causing serious injuries, but possibly only in the US and Canada.

https://www.bikeradar.com/news/shimano-crankset-recall/

The affected products:

Ultegra FC-6800 / R8000
Dura-Ace FC-R98000 / R9100/R9100P

Apparently they fixed the design flaw in July 2019, but still continued to sell the old stock until August 2023

The production codes for the crappy cranks are:

KF, KG, KH, KI, KJ, KK, KL, LA, LB, LC, LD, LE, LF, LG, LH, LI, LJ, LK, LL, MA, MB, MC, MD, ME, MF, MG, MH, MI, MJ, MK, ML, NA, NB, NC, ND, NE, NF, NG, NH, NI, NJ, NK, NL, OA, OB, OC, OD, OE, OF, OG, OH, OI, OJ, OK, OL, PA, PB, PC, PD, PE, PF, PG, PH, PI, PJ, PK, PL, QA, QB, QC, QD, QE, QF, QG, QH, QI, QJ, QK, QL, RA, RB, RC, RD, RE, and RF.

Shimano will only replace your crank if the glue is failing and apparently only in the US & Canada, so if the product still seems ok, then you can just wait and see if it kills you a few months down the road.
fausto99

Post by fausto99 »

rogerzilla wrote: 7 May 2021, 5:04pm The pros have gone soft too. Can't race up Alpe d'Huez in 42 x 21? Take up golf, you lightweight :D
Indeed. I got up Ditchling Beacon on a 42 x 18 way back when I was in my 30s. It's a macho fashion thing, init?

(Now in my 70s, I have a 36F x 40R to get up Lockyers Hill)

On the OP I've not had any problems with all three of my 105 hollowtech chainset-ed bikes. As reported above it's only the Ultegra and DA that have had problems.