Top Tube protector

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
ClappedOut

Top Tube protector

Post by ClappedOut »

Previous owner has stone chipped or scratches on top tube which I have touched in and buffed back-better than expected but not perfect.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/373326167208 ... SwRCZfp9qH looks like a grit and damp magnet.
Is there a better other than clear helicopter tape solution? Thinking light gray or black on red frame.

Thanks
mattsccm

Re: Top Tube protector

Post by mattsccm »

Bit of suitably coloured sticky backed plastic? My wife uses spotty designs for all sorts of things.
colin54

Post by colin54 »

Grey plastic pipe lagging from a plumbers supplies, just a short bit will do and you can slide it about to suit what you are parked against. It's split along it's length so straightforward to fit. Cheap, comes in 1 metre lengths from for example, B&Q. https://www.diy.com/departments/polyeth ... 886_BQ.prd
P1130748.JPG
Secured with a reflective trouser clip here, for added 'style' !
Nu-Fogey
ClappedOut

Post by ClappedOut »

thanks for suggestions, there is this library type film called fablon but unsure about adhesive and powder coat and also a friend suggested car vinyl.

didn't know helicopter tape came coloured as thought it was clear only, but found
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/261643562336 ... Sw3K1cRxX2

so the helicopter tape and a piece of pipe lagging sound the plan
PH

Post by PH »

ClappedOut wrote: 2 May 2021, 9:57am didn't know helicopter tape came coloured as thought it was clear only, but found
I think helicopter tape has become a generic term that covers a lot of tapes of varying quality. For clear tape I'm only buying the 3M tape with specific product number, having been caught out with a very inferior product from ebay.
On my previous deliveroo bike, which gets knocked about a bit, I covered the top tube and part of the seat tube (There the lock touched) with a double wrap of insulation tape, was looking a bit scuffed after a year, but had done the job and if I'd kept it would have been easy to re-apply. I've decided to be a little less precious with my current delivery bike, I'll touch it up as needed but so far, after a years use, that hasn't been required.
mattsccm

Post by mattsccm »

Fablon is what most of us call my sticky backed plastic.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Fablon has been around a long time. My mother was the manageress of several paint and wallpaper shops in the days when such places existed and had manageresses. A different era. They always stocked Fablon and the marble-effect patterns were used to cover kitchen worktops if people couldn't afford marble-patterned Formica.
ClappedOut

Post by ClappedOut »

Good to know,I thought fablon was a library film and yes helicopter tape 3M preferable do I will search.

Had the tandem out with my son today and it appears the Stoker demand's a 99 with a flake as payment.
mikeymo

Post by mikeymo »

PH wrote: 2 May 2021, 3:10pm
ClappedOut wrote: 2 May 2021, 9:57am didn't know helicopter tape came coloured as thought it was clear only, but found
I think helicopter tape has become a generic term that covers a lot of tapes of varying quality. For clear tape I'm only buying the 3M tape with specific product number, having been caught out with a very inferior product from ebay.
Go on, let us in on the secret, what is the mystery "specific product number"?