Rust on frame again

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Steve O'C

Rust on frame again

Post by Steve O'C »

I know this has been discussed before (hence the again in the title) but what is the latest advice. I just found this rusty patch under the top tube of my Mercian pro lugless which is built with Reynolds 853 tubing :(
IMG_20210502_105935604.jpg
How should I treat this? Owatrol oil has been discussed here recently, anyone actually used it?
Thanks for any advice
Steve
SimonCelsa

Re: Rust on frame again

Post by SimonCelsa »

Remove all rust/oxidation back to bare steel using light file, abrasive paper etc. Treat with several primer coats and then top coat.

I have used the Halfords stone chip touch up pens to good effect for this type of repair, source a similar topcoat colour obviously. Ample contents for this type of repair.

Something like this:https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/254351757239 ... Sww8ldZ9r0

Edit: lasts for ages as well, I used mine initially about 5 years ago and all 3 pen contents are still usable i.e still liquid, not gone hard!
Slowroad

Post by Slowroad »

Thanks! I've got small rust patches on a 20-year-old Mercian too, and I've been meaning to ask advice.
“My two favourite things in life are libraries and bicycles. They both move people forward without wasting anything. The perfect day: riding a bike to the library.”
― Peter Golkin
ClappedOut

Post by ClappedOut »

As suggested I filled a couple of chips with halfords two part touch up pen set.
Carefully took it back flat with wet and dry on a block and polished with tcut and pea of G3 compound, then polish.

I did think after fixing what look like previous owner chips from a zip- tube protector and asked recently in a thread.

3M coloured protective helicopter tape a plan
KM2

Post by KM2 »

Whenever I painted or touched up a frame, I made sure to use phosphoric acid gel, jenolite????
Never had problems after that.