Raleigh Max Ogre 21 Repairs????

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
oldninjaron

Raleigh Max Ogre 21 Repairs????

Post by oldninjaron »

Hi everybody.

Its been a very long time since I cycled, well at least under my own power. I was happy to carry out most repairs on my motorbikes but its time to do the same on my bikes, the mountain bike first.

Bought second hand Raleigh Max Ogre, possibly a 21. Pretty solid bike but in need of some work. Front gears/cranks need to go. I was hoping that I could rob same from another bike - both have three cogs, same length cranks, both have sprockets welded in rivetted in place, unfortunately. Donor bike came apart no problem and Raleigh left hand side but right hand crank threads stripped. Managed to remove but with some distruction. Although donor parts fitted onto bottom bracket, square pegs, smallest sprocket was fouling frame, could not find something to space it out so need replacement cranks/chainset.

Original parts Shimano FC-TS21 - by the lack of references on internet it looks like these are are very old - searched on Shimano no results so pre 2000?

Some advice on possible compatible replacements would be most grateful please?
531colin

Re: Raleigh Max Ogre 21 Repairs????

Post by 531colin »

The most obvious thing is the bearing out of the "donor" bike?
Or measure the length of its axle.....its the chainset which governs the length of the axle needed.
Check the bottom brackets (frame part) are the same width...68 and 73mm are common
markjohnobrien

Post by markjohnobrien »

oldninjaron wrote: 2 May 2021, 1:02pm Hi everybody.

Its been a very long time since I cycled, well at least under my own power. I was happy to carry out most repairs on my motorbikes but its time to do the same on my bikes, the mountain bike first.

Bought second hand Raleigh Max Ogre, possibly a 21. Pretty solid bike but in need of some work. Front gears/cranks need to go. I was hoping that I could rob same from another bike - both have three cogs, same length cranks, both have sprockets welded in rivetted in place, unfortunately. Donor bike came apart no problem and Raleigh left hand side but right hand crank threads stripped. Managed to remove but with some distruction. Although donor parts fitted onto bottom bracket, square pegs, smallest sprocket was fouling frame, could not find something to space it out so need replacement cranks/chainset.

Original parts Shimano FC-TS21 - by the lack of references on internet it looks like these are are very old - searched on Shimano no results so pre 2000?

Some advice on possible compatible replacements would be most grateful please?
Good morning - have you done much bike maintenance before,
Raleigh Randonneur 708 (Magura hydraulic brakes); Blue Raleigh Randonneur 708 dynamo; Pearson Compass 631 tourer; Dawes One Down 631 dynamo winter bike;Raleigh Travelogue 708 tourer dynamo; Kona Sutra; Trek 920 disc Sram Force.
PT1029

Post by PT1029 »

Raleigh Ogres are quite old, 1990's I seem to remember. Not worked on 1 for a while, but I suspect 5 or 6 or 7 speed according to Mr google, screw on cogs for 5 or 6 speed, 7s could be screw on or cassette fit (probably screw on) cogs. Certainly not worth putting a lot of money into.
What is the donor bike? There might be a lot of incompatibility between the 2 bikes. If you end up faffing around with headsets, I think the Ogre's head tube is a non standard diameter for the cups, and also from memory the seat tube outer diameter ditto (so front gear swapping may/may not work).
Shimano FC-TS21 - google comes up with a triple crankset, I'd take a hunch on it needing a 122mm long BB axle. The cranks of the other bike may well need a different length BB axle to get the right chain line.
From memory, check the brazed joint where the seat stays join the top of the seat tube, the braze had a habit of cracking/peeling away from the seat tube.
A photo of each bike/parts would be useful.