Padless Cycling Tights?

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
De Sisti

Re: Padless Cycling Tights?

Post by De Sisti »

Claud wrote: 3 May 2021, 6:12pm And it says "spring and autumn", so I guess a thinish material?
Yes, that's true. I've even worn them in winter months, with no negative effects to my legs.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

mattheus wrote: 5 May 2021, 4:18pm Important addendum - I think - to above:

High BACK tights are what cyclists need - not simply high-WAISTED!

(Ron Hills are brilliant all-round activity things, assuming you don't need warm Roubaix-style materials. But they do NOT have high backs ... )
Only if you spend all your time hunched over.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

De Sisti wrote: 23 May 2021, 5:56pm
Claud wrote: 3 May 2021, 6:12pm And it says "spring and autumn", so I guess a thinish material?
Yes, that's true. I've even worn them in winter months, with no negative effects to my legs.
On the coldest of winter days I've worn leggings under them - I'd always rather have multiple layers for cold weather.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

[XAP]Bob wrote: 24 May 2021, 11:54am
mattheus wrote: 5 May 2021, 4:18pm Important addendum - I think - to above:

High BACK tights are what cyclists need - not simply high-WAISTED!

(Ron Hills are brilliant all-round activity things, assuming you don't need warm Roubaix-style materials. But they do NOT have high backs ... )
Only if you spend all your time hunched over.
"hunched"? Bicycles are setup so that your knees are further ahead than when walking. Pretty much every keen cyclist will also be leaning forward somewhat. Show them a headwind or a descent and then watch what happens ...

You don't need to be "hunched" to expose your lower back in some "street" clothing.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

I think it's a reference to riding a recumbent.
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

thirdcrank wrote: 24 May 2021, 12:52pm I think it's a reference to riding a recumbent.

(That's what I guessed, but I'm pretending ignorance. Do you think he'll realise??)
Claud

Post by Claud »

I finally got round to ordering some Tracksters. For the back, I measure 35cm from the crotch cross-seam to the top of the rear waist, so much shorter than the old Alturas, but legs are longer, and with no awkward empty space below the crotch :lol:, the back of the waist band ends up in the same place. I kind-of agree a higher back might be ideal, but personally am not fussed as they're high enough to be covered by cycling tops unless poss low on the drops, and anyway I'll always have cycling shorts underneath.

The fit in the legs is slightly tighter than the Alturas (I have endurance style legs, not sprinter legs), but still just enough room for a fleecy tracksuit bottom underneath for mid-winter. Lycra leg-warmers underneath would be perfect. Overall fit of the mediums is good for my 34" waist, without needing the draw strings. So for folks between sizes, or wanting ankles covered on long legs, maybe go up a size.

Thanks all for the advice!
Claud

Post by Claud »

Have also found these padless lycra Madisons reduced from £75 to £30. Although tight-fitting, will add to winter choices (lightly fleeced), so bought a pair - Madison sizing worked on my waist & skinny legs (so a size up from Ronhills).