Soldering cable ends?

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
mikeymo

Re: Soldering cable ends?

Post by mikeymo »

J B Weld has been recommended:

https://www.jb-weld.co.uk/originalepadh

I've got some, for exactly the purpose you describe, but haven't used it yet.
fastpedaller

Post by fastpedaller »

I use either plastic cable ends (just a tube with one closed end) of which I have a diminishing stock - just heat the end of cable with a lighter and press end into position. An other method I use, as mentioned by others above, is heat-shrink, which probably is more successful than my first method. :lol: I can see that the super glue mentioned by others could also work (it must have a use for something :) ) Any mothos which doesn't distort the cable is fair game - that's why the metal crimp ends aren't so good IMHO
francovendee

Post by francovendee »

I had the same problem, once cut the strands would splay out and make it pretty well impossible to get it back into the outer cable,
When I used galvanised cable I'd soft solder them but now I use S/S I only cut them when I'm sure everything doesn't need taking apart.
In the meantime I neatly coil the wire and hold it with a cable tie. I tried super glue but it didn't work for me. I have left cables this way for months, just forgot about them.
I'll get some silver solder and give it a try.
iandusud

Post by iandusud »

TBH as someone has already stated above, if you have good cable cutters you won't get frayed ends. The reason I used to solder ss cables was because I was making up my own cable and soldering on brass nipples. If it's just to avoid fraying get some decent cable cutters.
fausto99

Post by fausto99 »

Thanks for all the ideas. I have used heat shrink sleeving in the past, but found it often slipped off. Also you have to remove and re-sleeve whenever you change a component, as the sleeved portion is usually too big to go through the cable hole in the brake or derailleur.

Soldering seems a better option, but only if there is a flux which works on oily steel or stainless steel without having to splay the cable and abrade first. Regular electronics fluxed (leaded) solder and a soldering iron don't seem to cut through the grease/oil.

I have borax flux, silver solder, large and small gas torches. Has anyone else had success with this combination.
fausto99

Post by fausto99 »

rogerzilla wrote: 3 May 2021, 8:19pm The aggressive plumber's flux sold in tins is more effective than the stuff used for electronics. You may need a blowlamp rather than a soldering iron, as the cable will suck the heat away quickly.
Sorry missed this first time around. I'll give it a go next time.
fausto99

Post by fausto99 »

mikeymo wrote: 3 May 2021, 9:10pm J B Weld has been recommended:

Set time 4-6 hours!! No thanks :lol:
alexnharvey

Post by alexnharvey »

fausto99 wrote: 4 May 2021, 12:43pm
mikeymo wrote: 3 May 2021, 9:10pm J B Weld has been recommended:

Set time 4-6 hours!! No thanks :lol:
What's the problem? Put it on, go to sleep, hey fausto, it's cured in the morning.
531colin

Post by 531colin »

fausto99 wrote: 4 May 2021, 9:02am ...............I have borax flux, silver solder, large and small gas torches. Has anyone else had success with this combination.
I use silver solder, and Johnson Matthey tenacity 5 flux. White powder you make a slurry with water...I guess its basically Borax?
You only need a small torch to get a few millimetres of cable red hot.
As soon as its red hot, the flux melts and carries all before it; dead easy and you can dress the end so you can re-thread the cable as often as you like.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

531colin wrote: 4 May 2021, 1:34pm
fausto99 wrote: 4 May 2021, 9:02am ...............I have borax flux, silver solder, large and small gas torches. Has anyone else had success with this combination.
I use silver solder, and Johnson Matthey tenacity 5 flux. White powder you make a slurry with water...I guess its basically Borax?
And fluorosilicates:
https://www.hswalsh.com/sites/default/f ... /TF272.pdf

Jonathan
Des49

Post by Des49 »

I generally solder the ends of cables. It can be tricky on some cables.

Many years ago I asked for some stainless steel flux at a marine metal workshop, they grinned but then a guy re-appeared with a jam jar with a couple of inches of liquid in and sent me on my way. Been using it ever since, but wonder if it is losing effectiveness 20 years down the line! I may be looking for new flux soon.

Cleaning the cable end is also key, I find wire wool works well after degreasing with acetone or meths. I generally use an electric soldering iron.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

scottg wrote: 3 May 2021, 4:34pm Heat shrink tubing, available in colours too.
I tried some screw together cable ends, didn't hold too well.
That’s what I do as well, looks neat, stops you catching on the end, easy to remove/reapply if needed, often thin enough to thread around stuff with it still on...
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
francovendee

Post by francovendee »

If you have a good pair of cutters won't the end still fray in use? I load my bike on the car, lean it against walls etc. I think I'd snag the cable and separate the strands.
Once this happens you'll struggle to get it back into the outer.
mattsccm

Post by mattsccm »

What are you lot doing to fray the ends? I just use a normal alloy cable end and squeeze it diangonal with what ever is handy. Sometime I leave the end of the cable a cm long to allow for cutting back but generally I just yank the end of with some pliers and jobs done.
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

+ 2 for superglue ....
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.