Soldering cable ends?

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
fausto99

Soldering cable ends?

Post by fausto99 »

I normally crimp my cable ends after trimming to length. It's quick and easy. However, if you are always swapping bits and trying different things out, like I do, you end up throwing away a lot of cables just because the end is frayed and you can't do that quick brake or derailleur swap you were hoping would just take 5 minutes! :lol: The end just won't thread back into that small hole. It just frays more and more....

...so, I'm wondering about soldering cable ends instead. I'm fine at soldering electronics components on and off pcbs but I've never had much luck with tinning steel parts, never mind (oily) cables. Has anyone got any tips?
peetee

Re: Soldering cable ends?

Post by peetee »

I gave up that idea years ago after finding the solder wouldn’t take - probably because of the slick coating on the cables.
If you are careful with the crimp and use caps that are a snug fit it’s possible to fit and remove them with very little damage to the cable.
The older I get the more I’m inclined to act my shoe size, not my age.
rjb

Post by rjb »

I've had success in the past but you need to get the cable scrupulously clean. Solder today isn't as good as the old stuff, doesn't seem to flow as well. Is this because the lead content has been reduced. :o
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
scottg

Post by scottg »

Heat shrink tubing, available in colours too.
I tried some screw together cable ends, didn't hold too well.
+++++++++++++++++++++++++
Deutsche Luftschiffahrts-AG
+++++++++++++++++++++++++
geomannie

Post by geomannie »

Some discussion here.

Acid flux, using a torch and solver solder are all mentioned, though not neccessarily in combination.

https://www.bikeforums.net/bicycle-mech ... -ends.html
geomannie
iandusud

Post by iandusud »

I used to silver solder stainless steel cables but I no longer have access to silver rods.
cocopops

Post by cocopops »

I wouldn't expect success. Have worked as PCB assembler and solder takes to copper & tin but not to steel.
I did invest in a chunky, good quality set of cable snips years ago. The jaws make a shear action but where 2 V-shapes pass each other so the cable is nicely cut, almost to a conical finish. Much better than normal side cutters or pliers which only make a pinch action. Possible that a neatly-finished cable end would allow for more threadings.

Or, back to the solder thing, try a really aggressive flux and a solder dip (like a crucible) or a large, powerful iron. I've only seen those items in a factory setting.
Have your breakfast and eat it.
531colin

Post by 531colin »

Plenty of people on E bay selling silver solder and flux in small quantities...all the information is on Johnson Matthey website .
Silver solder will do new or used stainless cables easily....get it red hot, and the flux carries all before it.....certainly easier than soft solder on mucky oily used cables.
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=49335
MartinC

Post by MartinC »

Yes, I've tried in the past but without the right flux and lots of heat it doesn't work - steel cables with dirt and coatings make it too hard to work well enough. Shrink tubing does work but falls off after a while, doesn't stop the cable ends fraying on reassembly and still leaves a potentially stabby end. I've found the best approach is to cut the cables a bit longer, crimp them and then super glue the cable just above the crimp. To re-use the cable cut the crimp off, the glue stops it fraying, re-assemble then repeat the process as before.
gregoryoftours

Post by gregoryoftours »

I'd second heat shrink. You can get adhesive lined heat shrink that melts and stays on better too. It's a bit thicker than regular heat shrink though. I've thought about but not tried a very thin glue like some kind of super glue that could wick into the strands. Also re-threading cut cables always rotate the cable or the outer as you're doing it in a direction that tends to tighten the weave of the cable.
2_i

Post by 2_i »

I solder every cable end. However, when the cable is out of stainless steel, which is quite common, the regular flux and solder will not work. You need to use the hydrochloric acid for tinning and a silver solder. Usually I just work with the Harris Stay-Brite kit.
rotavator

Post by rotavator »

I use superglue on my cables and it works well enough for me. Another tip: keep superglue in the freezer to make it last longer.
Davy

Post by Davy »

I use super glue Find I works well Use cycle specific cable cutters
rogerzilla

Post by rogerzilla »

The aggressive plumber's flux sold in tins is more effective than the stuff used for electronics. You may need a blowlamp rather than a soldering iron, as the cable will suck the heat away quickly.
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

another thumbs up for super-glue - I bought several small tubes online a while ago which were cheap enough to open one just to do the cable-end thing on a bike I re-cabled the other week. I shall try popping the partially used tube into the freezer.
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)