Can anyone date this Galaxy?

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
smhopkins

Can anyone date this Galaxy?

Post by smhopkins »

Would be grateful if someone could give me a date for this Dawes before I sell it. Has a 22' frame, 21' seat tube and has been a favourite companion on trips round Scotland. Now need to downsize the fleet, and this is the first one to go. Date and suggested price would be wonderfully helpful. Also have Brooks leather saddle and Carradice saddle bag with the makers name still on the label [Sue!]. Should I sell separately or as part of the Galaxy? Haven't sold anything for a long time. Does the Dawes serial #M5030718 help? I seem to remember reading that they had these destroyed in a fire.
Attachments
smhopkinsimage005.jpg
smhopkinsimage004.jpg
smhopkinsimage003.jpg
smhopkinsimage002.jpg
smhopkinsimage001.jpg
gaz

Re: Can anyone date this Galaxy?

Post by gaz »

Assuming original kit, the Shimano components will have manufacturing date codes.
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

This thread viewtopic.php?t=95068 has links to a couple of previous ones, and someone has a Dawes heritage site with some tips on dating, including some catalogues https://dawescycles.wordpress.com/date/
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
zenitb

Post by zenitb »

have a look at this 2006 model SM .. similar ?
2006 Dawes Galaxy
2006 Dawes Galaxy
https://www.lfgss.com/conversations/312253/

The logos look the same (or very similar) style as yours (although moved in position on the top tube) and it looks like the same Shimano chainset and rear mech so I think your model is there or thereabouts - within a year or so. It also has the same 631 tubing and the same type of mudguard. By 2012 they are using a calligraphy style Galaxy logo on the top tube...so its definitely earlier than that .. basically its a "naught-ies" bike and is around 15 years old I would say.

The chap who posted the link above was asking £300 back in 2017 but maybe yours is in slightly better nick ? hard to say from this distance :-)
Last edited by zenitb on 3 May 2021, 9:04pm, edited 4 times in total.
markjohnobrien

Post by markjohnobrien »

It’s definitely not 1990’s as Galaxies were 531.

Due to the 631 frame, and the kit on it, I’d say early 2000’s.
Raleigh Randonneur 708 (Magura hydraulic brakes); Blue Raleigh Randonneur 708 dynamo; Pearson Compass 631 tourer; Dawes One Down 631 dynamo winter bike;Raleigh Travelogue 708 tourer dynamo; Kona Sutra; Trek 920 disc Sram Force.
Mr.Benton

Post by Mr.Benton »

It is the same as mine, and I think I bought it in 2006.
jb

Post by jb »

Welded frame, not lugged and brazed so post 2000
Cheers
J Bro
colin54

Post by colin54 »

I'd be tempted to sell the Brooks saddle and Carradice saddle separately, they're £40 or £50 apiece approximately second hand.
Good luck.
Edit ; I had a look on ebay for sold Galaxies, £250-300 seems to be the going rate. One that looks same year as yours was for sale with a 'buy it now' price of £350 at the end of March this year, but was marked as sold with ' best offer accepted', i.e less than £350.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Dawes-Galaxy ... 7675.l2557
(Just scroll down a bit on the link to see the ad).
Nu-Fogey
smhopkins

Post by smhopkins »

zenitb wrote: 3 May 2021, 8:49pm have a look at this 2006 model SM .. similar ?
2006 Galaxy.JPG
https://www.lfgss.com/conversations/312253/

The logos look the same (or very similar) style as yours (although moved in position on the top tube) and it looks like the same Shimano chainset and rear mech so I think your model is there or thereabouts - within a year or so. It also has the same 631 tubing and the same type of mudguard. By 2012 they are using a calligraphy style Galaxy logo on the top tube...so its definitely earlier than that .. basically its a "naught-ies" bike and is around 15 years old I would say.

The chap who posted the link above was asking £300 back in 2017 but maybe yours is in slightly better nick ? hard to say from this distance :-)
Thanks, but the stems are different. Mine has a quill stem, this one is bolted on. Will that make it earlier? 2005? Or maybe someone changed the stem? Don't know why. I think the wheels are originals. Where is the dating evidence on them?
smhopkins

Post by smhopkins »

colin54 wrote: 3 May 2021, 11:33pm I'd be tempted to sell the Brooks saddle and Carradice saddle separately, they're £40 or £50 apiece approximately second hand.
Good luck.
Edit ; I had a look on ebay for sold Galaxies, £250-300 seems to be the going rate. One that looks same year as yours was for sale with a 'buy it now' price of £350 at the end of March this year, but was marked as sold with ' best offer accepted', i.e less than £350.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Dawes-Galaxy ... 7675.l2557
(Just scroll down a bit on the link to see the ad).
Yes that's the same vintage, right down to the 2 badges on the seat tube, the quill stem and hoods with different coloured plastic. And same size top tube. Now need to find out the date of that variety! Thanks. Good spot.
Last edited by smhopkins on 4 May 2021, 4:24pm, edited 1 time in total.
colin54

Post by colin54 »

The date codes are a 2 letter mark on all the Shimano components, the first letter is year, second letter is the month.
Posssibly on a tiny sticker, or sometimes stamped, the easiest one to find is on the rear of the front derailleur inner cage ,
or there should be one visible on the front hub , either as a sticker on the body or stamped between the spoke heads.
You can search line for Shimano date code tables. It's possible the odd part may be from the year before the manufacture of the bike .
Nu-Fogey
smhopkins

Post by smhopkins »

colin54 wrote: 4 May 2021, 4:22pm The date codes are a 2 letter mark on all the Shimano components, the first letter is year, second letter is the month.
Posssibly on a tiny sticker, or sometimes stamped, the easiest one to find is on the rear of the front derailleur inner cage ,
or there should be one visible on the front hub , either as a sticker on the body or stamped between the spoke heads.
You can search line for Shimano date code tables. It's possible the odd part may be from the year before the manufacture of the bike .
Thank you again. I will go and have a look......................
smhopkins

Post by smhopkins »

smhopkins wrote: 4 May 2021, 4:26pm
colin54 wrote: 4 May 2021, 4:22pm The date codes are a 2 letter mark on all the Shimano components, the first letter is year, second letter is the month.
Got a photo: and found date codes on rear hub 'CK'. The vintage #'s appear to end with B 2002 [https://www.pedalpedlar.co.uk/blogs/the ... date-codes] so I presume the C would be 2004 and the K November. Would you agree? So it looks like it is a 2004 or 5 model.
Attachments
Hub.jpg
rjb

Post by rjb »

I dont think the ck sticker is the date code. look on the back of the brake arm there should be a code stamped into the arm.
this link may help you.https://www.pedalpedlar.co.uk/blogs/the ... date-codes
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
smhopkins

Post by smhopkins »

smhopkins wrote: 4 May 2021, 4:39pm
smhopkins wrote: 4 May 2021, 4:26pm
Got a photo: and found date codes on rear hub 'CK'. The vintage #'s appear to end with B 2002 [https://www.pedalpedlar.co.uk/blogs/the ... date-codes] so I presume the C would be 2004 and the K November. Would you agree? So it looks like it is a 2004 or 5 model.
And got the codes off the derailleur and front hub, which pins it down to early 2005 [ CK Nov 2004 DB 2005 Feb. DC 2005 March]
Attachments
derailleur1.jpg
Hub.jpg
Last edited by smhopkins on 5 May 2021, 9:57pm, edited 2 times in total.