gearing options and rear mech suggestion?

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
ianincallander

gearing options and rear mech suggestion?

Post by ianincallander »

Hello ,

I have an old W Midlands Sirius 853 tourer donated to me by my dad ...Currently its got a shimano 105 set up with 24/38/42 and a close ratio 13-23, 9 speed block . If possible i would like a wider ratio block and suggestions for a longer arm mech (currently yellow labelled 105 mech ) I would also like a bigger outside ring (again shimano 105) if its possible to obtain one ?
The block and chain were replaced v recently but out touring on Skye recently i discovered I would like to get a wider ratio set up if possible--any suggestions appreciated .

Ian
keyboardmonkey

Re: gearing options and rear mech suggestion?

Post by keyboardmonkey »

If it’s not worn I’d stick with the chain set, buy a Shimano Sora medium cage rear mech and a 11-34 9 speed cassette. You should replace your chain, too.
ianincallander

Post by ianincallander »

Thanks for reply that looks a good mech on the sjs cycle website with a lot of q and a on it re each component it said you would need a long cage for a triple chains set and this one is medium ? ian
keyboardmonkey

Post by keyboardmonkey »

The beauty of 9 speed is that you can have a 9 speed MTB rear mech instead if you prefer. That’s what I’ve done in the past.
markjohnobrien

Post by markjohnobrien »

keyboardmonkey wrote: 3 May 2021, 9:31pm The beauty of 9 speed is that you can have a 9 speed MTB rear mech instead if you prefer. That’s what I’ve done in the past.
That’s what I do.
Raleigh Randonneur 708 (Magura hydraulic brakes); Blue Raleigh Randonneur 708 dynamo; Pearson Compass 631 tourer; Dawes One Down 631 dynamo winter bike;Raleigh Travelogue 708 tourer dynamo; Kona Sutra; Trek 920 disc Sram Force.
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

I have deore and deore xt mechs on my bikes. M591 and M750 I think.

Cheers James
ianincallander

Post by ianincallander »

thanks just brought a Shimano Deore RD-M591 looks like it gets good reviews ...£39 on line and will get a wider ratio block and see how that goes ...

ian
Claud

Post by Claud »

Can anyone confirm whether all Shimano 9-speed derailleurs have the same cable pull, old and new?
I'm looking to replace an old Deore LX T661 with any of those mentioned here (Sora/Alivio/Deore), and continue running it with Tiagra ST-4500 9spd STIs.
Thanks.
cyclop

Post by cyclop »

keyboardmonkey wrote: 3 May 2021, 9:31pm The beauty of 9 speed is that you can have a 9 speed MTB rear mech instead if you prefer. That’s what I’ve done in the past.
I thought you couldnt mix mtb rear mech and sti road shifters?
keyboardmonkey

Post by keyboardmonkey »

cyclop wrote: 4 May 2021, 8:35pm
keyboardmonkey wrote: 3 May 2021, 9:31pm The beauty of 9 speed is that you can have a 9 speed MTB rear mech instead if you prefer. That’s what I’ve done in the past. Works perfectly with just a regular inline cable adjuster as that model doesn’t have an integral one.
I thought you couldnt mix mtb rear mech and sti road shifters?
You can up to 9 speed. And my Shimano 105 (5700 series) ten speed ‘Audax’ bike has a M772 Deore XT Shadow 9 speed rear mech**

It was when ten speed MTB mechs came along with different cable pull that ten speed* and earlier *road* shifters wouldn’t work with them.

Now with 11&12 speed stuff I really don’t know - or care!

* Ten speed Tiagra 470x is an oddity in that it works with the same cable pull as 11 speed road rear mechs. I wouldn’t mix and match.

** I used to have the same XT rear mech on the bike with old 9 speed Sora shifters. No problem.
Last edited by keyboardmonkey on 4 May 2021, 9:26pm, edited 1 time in total.
mcshroom

Post by mcshroom »

Shimano STIs up to 10sp (except Tiagra-4700 and GRX) will work with Shimano MTB rear derailleurs up to 9sp, and vice-versa.

It's also possible to get double front mechs to work sometimes, but triples usually need to stay fully road or fully MTB shifting to work.

My Dawes Horizon came specced with 2303 STIs and an acera rear mech.