Velocé 10 speed ergos

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
De Sisti

Re: Velocé 10 speed ergos

Post by De Sisti »

drossall wrote: 7 May 2021, 8:30am You're testing my memory now. But do you mean Veloce levers like these?
Veloce Ergos 2.jpg
I think I'm right in saying that Veloce only went to the dreaded Ultrashift in around 2009. I
I think you're confusing Ultrashift with Powershift.
tatanab

Post by tatanab »

De Sisti wrote: 7 May 2021, 8:56am
drossall wrote: 7 May 2021, 8:30am You're testing my memory now. But do you mean Veloce levers like these?
Veloce Ergos 2.jpg
I think I'm right in saying that Veloce only went to the dreaded Ultrashift in around 2009. I
I think you're confusing Ultrashift with Powershift.
Ultrashift is the good stuff. change 5 up and 3 down. Powershift is not so good. However, I can understand some confusion because Campag call one of their lever shapes Ultrashift as well, so you can have ultrashift shape levers with powershift mechanism - crazy.

I have 8 speed Record, 8 speed Veloce, 10 speed (1st gen) Record and 10 speed Centaur, all with Ultrashift type actions. The Centaur are from 2006 after they had fixed an earlier problem and before they went Powershift. So half of that mix is more than 20 years old and very well used, but none presents any problems.
pq

Post by pq »

These are the dead levers. Does anyone know whether those blades + hoods will fit the Record/Chorus internals linked to further up the thread? That would be my ideal solution.

One link to your website is enough. G
De Sisti

Post by De Sisti »

pq wrote: 7 May 2021, 1:06pm These are the dead levers. Does anyone know whether those blades + hoods will fit the Record/Chorus internals linked to further up the thread? That would be my ideal solution.
Why don't you just put your hand in your pocket (or get out your debit/credit card) and send the
levers to a company that actually fixes them?
pq

Post by pq »

Because that makes no sense at all.

You're suggesting I spend a stack of money on some poor quality levers which may not even be fixable that broke after 5000 miles.

I've ordered the Record internals. Better quality and cheaper.

Fortunately someone's been kind enough to PM me and confirm that he's done exactly the same and it worked.
AndyA

Post by AndyA »

I'd ditch those levers, they are sadly both disposable and obsolete. I'd track down some pre-2006 levers, I'd have hoped you would be able to find some for less than the price of servicing those, but looking at ebay I appear to be sitting on a fortune in my spares box!
pq

Post by pq »

Yes, I found the same, and I could buy 2nd hand and find them already worn out. As above I've already ordered brand new Record internals which is basically a whole new lever without the blade and hood, but I can re-use the Veloce ones for that. €78 and I'll have a much much better quality lever than I started with.
RRSODL

Post by RRSODL »

pq wrote: 5 May 2021, 6:25pm Thanks. Buying something of better quality is always my preferred option - I'm a bit horrified how quickly these levers have died and it would be very annoying to have them give up mid tour. So is this what you mean? https://www.bikeinn.com/cyclisme/campag ... 136661626/

Do you have any idea about the whole normal/QS/powershift thing? It's to work with racing triple mechs from around 10 years ago.
I just found this thread, if you are changing the RHS shifter only then you don't have to worry about the QS. As far as I can remember QS was only left shifter + front derailleur thing that proved to be very unpopular. In 2009 I bought my first set of Campagnolo shifters and I remember that I was strongly adviced to stay away from the QS stuff that was still readily available. Powershift/ Ultrashift are something completely different that apply to the RHS shifter though.
pq

Post by pq »

Thanks, I didn't know that. For the moment I'm only changing the RHS lever becasue that's what's broken and oddly a replacement for the LHS is quite a bit more expensive. I imagine I'll have to do the LHS at some point because it will no doubt break too at some point, so I'll keep a lookout for the bits at a good price.
pq

Post by pq »

An update on this for anyone who's interested.

The Record/Chorus internals, part no EC-RE200 turned up today. It cost €78. I re-used the lever blade, hood and clamp from the old veloce levers which was easily done, although I did have to butcher the hood a bit to accommodate the downshift mechanism. That was a quick and easy job taking 10 minutes. The hybrid lever is now installed on the bike and it works perfectly - of course much better than the veloce it replaced.

I'm very pleased with the result. It didn't cost too much and not only is the shifter fixed, it's a significant upgrade in terms of functionality and durability on what I had before.

I'll do the other side at some point - no doubt it will go the same way - and I really don't like the QS mechanism. Unfortunately the LH mechanism is quite a bit more expensive, so I'll wait a while before doing that.

So thanks to everyone who offered advice, it was really helpful and got me the result I wanted.

One final question, is the old mechanism of any use to anyone? If not I'll chuck it in the recycling but it would be a shame to do that if it contains useful parts.

Cheers.
mattsccm

Post by mattsccm »

It didn't cost too much :lol:
Alright it is relative I guess.
I have a pile of these , all duff and not a decent hood amongst them . ah well
pq

Post by pq »

so what do you suggest I should have done?
mattsccm

Post by mattsccm »

Gone SRAM! :D
No . I would have do the same as you but I wouldn't call it good value.
pq

Post by pq »

The thing is I have a pair of Record 10 speed levers on my best bike. They are 22 years old, have done a huge mileage, and only needed a rebuild a couple of years back. To get internals of the same quality as that for €78 is bargain, especially when you look at what Record ergo levers cost complete, either new ones or inflation adjusted price of my originals. Also I bet you've spent more than I have and all you have to show for it is a box of broken veloce levers. As they say, buy cheap, buy twice.

I have SRAM on my gravel bike and like it. No idea how long it will last and it is finiky to set up, but it does work very well - I hope yours turns out to be a good choice.
pq

Post by pq »

So, my tourer didn't get ridden for a while after I fitted the new RH internals, but I went out on it for the first time last Saturday. The new internals work beautifully as you would expect, but less than 5 miles down the road, guess what, the LH Veloce lever failed. This time it was the paddle that snapped, but the result is the same, new internals required. This is exactly why my philosophy with bike bits is to buy good, durable stuff and replace it rarely. I'm not used to riding cheap tat and I'm a bit horrified by quite how nasty it is. Still, the rest of the bike is decent quality so when the LH internals arrive I should be OK for a long time.