Velocé 10 speed ergos

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
slowster

Re: Velocé 10 speed ergos

Post by slowster »

Mick F wrote: 5 May 2021, 8:07pm When mine pack in, or become too soft and unmanageable, they'll be consigned to history, and I'll be fitting my historical DT friction shifters ......... Campag Victory. Ditch the Ergos and fit Tektro aero brake levers like I have on Moulton.

Possibly swap to Shimano cassette and fit Dura Ace indexed DT shifters. Having given up with my Chorus rear hub due to fragility of the freewheel body, I fitted a Miche hub and it'll fit Campag body or Shimano body. I have both available.

This Ergo/STI stuff is a flash in the pan.
DT shifters are the way ahead.
I agree.

MickF, another option if you like the feel of your Ergolevers is to keep them and just use them as a brake lever. I've read of people doing that and gutting the innards of the surplus weight of the gear shifting mechanism, although I've seen a comment stating that in that case the fore/aft bolt and nut on which the various shifting parts are mounted should be retained because it serves a structural function in the lever.

NB I think Shimano 10 speed down tube levers and bar end shifters have been discontinued. The likes of Wiggle no longer have them in stock, and their prices are generally rising at the relatively small number of retailers that do still have stock. If you think your future plans will depend upon having a set of Shimano 10 speed down tube or bar end shifters, I would suggest buying them now.
LinusR

Post by LinusR »

pq wrote: 5 May 2021, 4:54pm I've noticed I can buy 10 speed centaur internals for not too much money. Does anyone know if I can just take the remaining bits from the Veloce lever?
Yes, that's what I did. I used these: https://thecycleclinic.co.uk/collection ... d-ec-ce201

You have to re-use the Veloce brake lever. It can be a fiddle getting it out.

The Centaur innards will fit this model of Veloce lever https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0858/ ... 015803.jpg
pq

Post by pq »

Hmmm, not sure. That says ultrashift, my levers say QS and look different, I suspect older. The thing is, I can't be at all sure that the levers were correct in the first place - they just need to work with a Racing Triple transmission from about 10 years ago.

In other words, it's clear I need to buy new internals, what isn't clear is which ones...
One link to your website is enough. G
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

slowster wrote: 5 May 2021, 9:07pm NB I think Shimano 10 speed down tube levers and bar end shifters have been discontinued.
Maybe I should buy these pretty damned quickly then.
https://www.spacycles.co.uk/m8b0s108p21 ... rs-SL-7900
Mick F. Cornwall
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

simonineaston wrote: 5 May 2021, 6:26pm 2 language-related observations here - one relevant, the other not... Campagnolo's Veloce group doesn't appear to have an accent on the second e in Campy's UK marketing material but as the poster lives in France and so may have a French keyboard which speaks in French accent, I understand what's going on there... and secondly I learn from my extremely useful half-Swedish/half-Italian colleague today that those little savoury biscuit jobbies are said, "broo sketta" - who knew??
Much appreciated, Simon.

I don't worry about biscuit diction, but appreciate it's important to some. As for the bike parts:
I think Veloce is vel-OH-chey ? Italian, so even without the accent, the final e is like an é in French.

Apparently some italians say "Carradice" vv differently to us :)

[n.b. my Italian is even worse than my schoolboy French ... ]
De Sisti

Post by De Sisti »

Search carefully on Condor's website. I managed to purchase some NOS Veloce Ultrashift ergro levers for just over £100.
pq

Post by pq »

The thing is though, I don't really want another set of Veloce levers becasue the ones which have just died have lasted no time at all and life's really too short for that sort of thing. I want something that will just sit there and work like all my other (more expensive) ergo levers do. I was thinking this might fit the bill: https://www.bikeinn.com/cyclisme/campag ... 136661626/
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

pq wrote: 6 May 2021, 12:07pm I don't really want another set of Veloce levers
Funny thing to start a thread about then - what did you expect people to talk about?!

;-)
pq

Post by pq »

Because when I started the thread I didn't know what to do about the problem. Now I realise they can't be repaired and it's a regular problem with Veloce levers I want something more durable. That means I need to know what I can buy which will work with the rest of my set-up. I think the one I've linked to above will, but I don't want to buy them and find out I'm wrong....
De Sisti

Post by De Sisti »

pq wrote: 6 May 2021, 12:46pm I think the one I've linked to above will, but I don't want to buy them and find out I'm wrong....
The link you gave only navigates the the homepage of the website. If you're after Non-Ultrashift
Veloce levers, places like Wiggle, Chain Reaction and Condor sell them.

Don't forget; there are probably hundreds of thousands of riders who use Veloce ergo levers
who haven't gone onto forums to wax lyrical about them. :wink:

https://www.condorcycles.com/products/c ... ifter-2015
https://www.wiggle.co.uk/campagnolo-vel ... r-2015-set
tatanab

Post by tatanab »

Will that part work? I would say---- very likely. The point is, will the lever blade and pivot from your existing lever fit. We cannot know, but it seems possible.

I think I would scan eBay for a pair of levers, Centaur and above, of the right vintage. I note there are several Veloce for sale with the same fault as yours.

Your bikeinn link is incomplete, should be https://www.bikeinn.com/cyclisme/campag ... 36661626/p
pq

Post by pq »

Ah, the link works for me, but I'm in France. I'm hoping that part will do the job as my existing Record ergo levers seem to be entirely indestuctible. 100,000 miles and still fine in comparison to these Veloce levers which I doubt have done much more than 5,000.

Also very useful to know that quality wise I need to be looking at Centaur or above, so thanks for that.

I'll sort out a pic of the existing levers. Maybe people will be able to tell whether the blades will fit these record inners - that would be my preferred option.
slowster

Post by slowster »

Mick F wrote: 6 May 2021, 8:39am
slowster wrote: 5 May 2021, 9:07pm NB I think Shimano 10 speed down tube levers and bar end shifters have been discontinued.
Maybe I should buy these pretty damned quickly then.
https://www.spacycles.co.uk/m8b0s108p21 ... rs-SL-7900
I would suggest getting them now if you know that you are likely to want them. Note that they are the version which does not have a friction option on the right hand lever (that was only available on the older SL-7800 version). Do you already have a suitable rear derailleur?
Keezx

Post by Keezx »

pq wrote: 6 May 2021, 3:29pm Ah, the link works for me, but I'm in France. I'm hoping that part will do the job as my existing Record ergo levers seem to be entirely indestuctible. 100,000 miles and still fine in comparison to these Veloce levers which I doubt have done much more than 5,000.

Also very useful to know that quality wise I need to be looking at Centaur or above, so thanks for that.

I'll sort out a pic of the existing levers. Maybe people will be able to tell whether the blades will fit these record inners - that would be my preferred option.
Any Ergopower sold before 2007 will do the job, i guess the are still lots of good ones around an will be on the 2end hand market some day.
Centaur after 2006 are also suspicious, being escape/quickshift..mechanism....
drossall

Post by drossall »

You're testing my memory now. But do you mean Veloce levers like these?
Veloce Ergos 2.jpg
I think I'm right in saying that Veloce only went to the dreaded Ultrashift in around 2009. If you look at the catalogues, 2008 Veloce might be OK for you, being more traditional in design. But there are people more expert at this than me.

I don't think the parts would be interchangeable. The only rebuild I've done so far was when someone had tried the sort of thing you're proposing to replace a broken Chorus lever housing. But I can't remember the precise models - I'd have to look. The more recent internals were different - smaller ratchets, that kind of thing, so it hadn't worked. I ordered up the proper replacement housing from Mercian and ended up with a sort of 3D jigsaw puzzle, not having seen the thing assembled at the beginning. It worked though.